cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one Venture 11 months old. Downgrade to ven1?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one Venture 11 months old. Downgrade to ven1?

Can I downgrade before the af hits? I'm in Massachusetts so I could even wait and get pro rated af back.

I'd like to downgrade this, and maybe get a 2nd venture card(after the downgrade would be the best route..?)

Ty for any information 

9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one Venture 11 months old. Downgrade to ven1?

You can downgrade if you want to do so, but keep in mind that you may not be eligible for a 2nd SUB.  Not sure how strictly it's enforced, but it's clearly spelled out in their T&C when you apply.  The key section is as follows for the current promotion:

How does my spend bonus work?
You will earn 50,000 bonus miles if you spend at least $3,000 within 3 months of your rewards membership enrollment date and an additional 50,000 bonus miles if you spend at least $20,000 within 12 months of your rewards membership enrollment date. These spend bonuses may be earned independently, meaning you may earn one or both. Once you qualify for a bonus we will apply it to your rewards balance within two billing cycles. Existing or previous Accountholders may not be eligible for these bonuses.
Message 2 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I downgraded Savor at 11.5 months and closed the account about 3 months after that. Closure was around May 2020.

I haven't applied for a new account yet, but at least they didn't try to claw back the SUB.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be fine downgrading before the first year ends. I haven't seen any DPs of people getting clawbacks for the sub. They're not AMEX in that regard. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ty for the information. Looks like I won't be risking a triple pull if I may not get sub.
Would I be able to get the sub on the cash back card?
Would it make sense to downgrade before or after applying?
I won't be applying for another month.
My score should be close to 780 once my disco shows as paid next statement.
I'm not looking for rewards or cash back(my current cards have basically everything covered) looking for subs(chase -im over 5/24 for at least 6 more months) id wait for them but I don't think they will like the 15 credit cards I have...
Been in garden for over 6 months lol finally.
Message 5 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If you got a SUB, I would not close or PC in the first year.

Just my thoughts.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats what I was thinking. Hopefully if I pay the af, and then wait a month or so and get pro rated af bk. Its not about the 95$ as much as it is available subs in the future.
Maybe I'd be better off going for a sub on the savor card or a business card with them.
I do like the card but having the amex bbp gives me no incentive to keep paying the a.f..
Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Depending on what might be offered to you, a Quicksilver would be a better downgrade option than the VentureOne.

Message 8 of 10
scfc1972
Valued Member

Downgrade - I messed up and let mine hit - big mistake. Cap One refused to waive despite me not having the card for a full year due to SSA 89 verification. Done with them now - their customer service was disappointing. 

Capital One - Secured Platinum $500
Capital One - Quicksilver $8000
Wells Fargo - Active Cash $2500
American Express - Blue Cash Everyday $26000
American Express - Hilton Honors $2000
Apple Card $6500
American Express - Gold NPSL
Amazon Store Card $10000
Citi - Double Cash $6200
American Express - Blue Business Plus - $2000
American Express - Amazon Business - $3000
American Express - Platinum NPSL
Capital One Auto Loan - 17,740 48 months @ 2.99% (refi)
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update 

Downgrade to venture one didn't want to deal with af hitting. 

It went smooth took maybe 5 minutes. 

Had the option of venture one or qs.

Figure i may apply for a quicksilver for sub in future and im not eligible for a venture card sub.

Card will basically be sock drawed with 2 charges per month pif

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.