Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One Second Card Question?????

tag
eparker
Frequent Contributor

Capitol One Second Card Question?????

So I have had my Cap1 card for about a year.  It's the credit steps card program.  I have only gotten to $750. payments always on time etc. etc.  Well I get an email to apply for a second card.  The email gives the spill about being a good customer never late etc. etc. and put more in my wallet.  I wasnt going to apply for it, I called customer service and ask why give me a second card.  Just give me a credit line increase.  Well I didnt get the increase.  BUt I had already apped for the second card.  

I called the back door number concerning the second card.  They needed a copy of SSN and proof of address.  Well I sent it off and still waiting.  Has anyone had luck with apping for a second card, and what type of limit might they give.  My credit and scores have improved drastically since getting the first card.  Still have a few baddies to get off.

Thanks

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Re: Capitol One Second Card Question?????

IDK cap1 is funny same thing happened to me in 2007 i apped and was approved for the steps program then 3 months later inviting me to apply for the second i did it turned out being another steps program with a smaller cl hope this helps

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 2 of 11
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

I received a second Capital One card after having the first one for only two months, but mine are secured. I wanted to go the secured route so I can control my credit limits while I'm rebuilding instead of starting at the bottom then "waiting" for Cap One to increase it.

My cards are at $1,500 each.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 3 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

In March, I appd for their Biz card and was approved with $500 CL. I was shocked at how low the CL was, so I decided to take advantage of the onslaught of apps I was receiving in the mail from them (on my CR, there are a TON of softs from them.) I appd for a psnl card 30 days after I was approved for the biz card. I was approved for the psnl card, but when it came, it only had a $300 CL. I'm now in the waiting process for the "step" increases and will see what happens.

My best guess is that you will be approved for the second card, but may not get the CL you would like. I'm considering other cards, like Barclay's, to get a decent CL.

HTH! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I thought when I apped for my 2nd card, it would be equal or higher than my 1st.  Well, I was wrong.  They gave me $1500 and then upped it a year later to $2500 which is still lower than my 1st card.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 5 of 11
carlosg
Valued Member

The only way to increase your cl with cap one is to apply for a new card and then combine then.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Message 6 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

Oh can you combine cards easily? I have 2 plat rewards capital one cards and a sony capital one card

Message 7 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@carlosg wrote:

The only way to increase your cl with cap one is to apply for a new card and then combine then.

I thought they didn't allow that any more?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 11
carlosg
Valued Member

@tinuviel wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

I thought they didn't allow that any more?

Not sure if they stop allowing that. I did this 4 times, last time I did it was 2 years ago it was the only way to increase  my limit to 5k. If any body has more info on it please post.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Message 9 of 11
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

My FICO scores are in the low 700's and I have had no success with a CLI with Capital One. Ironically, I called last week (May 18th) to request a CLI, was told it would be a soft pull, and it came back "denied". The CSR told me that it is near impossible for anyone to get a CLI these days from Cap One. She told me not to be discouraged but rather encouraged me to apply for a second card, like the Venture card and likely, with my scores and credit record I would be approved. 

I've been a customer since April 2008, got the $500 CL and been there ever since....it's the No Hassle Cash Rewards Visa and carries a $39 annual fee. I get email offers from Cap One at least once every 6 weeks telling me to "keep up the good work" and we have a "special offer" for customers just like me and they offer the Capital One Platinum MasterCard and waive the annual fee. No thanks. I'm not going to risk a "hard pull" when they'll more than likely approve me for a $300 or $500 CL to match what I already have. The card they offer, if you look it up on their website is for people with "Average Credit" and I don't fall in that category....I fall in the category of "Excellent Credit" and the last thing I need is another card in my wallet with a $500 credit line.....not much you can do with that other than charge miscellaneous items and pay in full each month....I wanted a CL of at least $5,000 to match what I have with Citi and US Bank in order to take advantage of balance transfer offers and the rewards . No such luck.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.