Did you mean: 

Card Considerations?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Considerations?

Hello all,

Long time no post...

With the (semi) recent news of BMO Harris buying BotW, and a potential modification of their cash back credit card reward structure...

Is anybody aware of alternative card offerings with 3% across the board for grocery, gas, and dining? 

Over the years of simplifying my card lineup, this has essentially become a primary go to (DD) for DW and myself. In the event that the reward structure is modified/nerfed, I was curious if anybody here that is still "in the know" may have ideas of similar offerings? 

With regards to possibly geofenced products, as the name suggests, I am in the Oklahoma area. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Card Considerations?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

Long time no post...

With the (semi) recent news of BMO Harris buying BotW, and a potential modification of their cash back credit card reward structure...

Is anybody aware of alternative card offerings with 3% across the board for grocery, gas, and dining? 

Over the years of simplifying my card lineup, this has essentially become a primary go to (DD) for DW and myself. In the event that the reward structure is modified/nerfed, I was curious if anybody here that is still "in the know" may have ideas of similar offerings? 

With regards to possibly geofenced products, as the name suggests, I am in the Oklahoma area. 

Since the jury is still out on whether BMO will make any potential changes to the BOTW rewards structure, I would definitely keep it and evaluate things when the time comes.

As far as 3% CCs go, there's AOD FCU and USAlliance Financial CU (both of these have alternative methods for becoming a member if you don't reside in their geo-footprint) Though, USAlliance's 3% offering is set to end at the end of the year unless they decide to extend it.

You can review the following topic for some other potential products. There is even very extensive write-ups already in the thread if you're looking for that level of detail as well.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/2-3-Cashback-CB-Credit-Card-CC-List/td-p/6197473

Message 2 of 10
yoshee08
New Contributor

You didn't include your current Lineup, however amex cards even in a bifecta can either meet or surpass this.

BCP/BCE for gas/groc and Gold card or Capital one Savior for dining

Current Score as of 04/14/2022:

Inquiries from 24/12 months as of 05/16/2022:

//
/

Current cards in order of approval

Message 3 of 10
gregorius
New Contributor

While the jury is still out on how BMO Harris will integrate the BotW cards into their lineup, they recently modified their Cash Back Mastercard to earn 3% on gas and grocieries (up to $2500 spend/quarter), plus 5% on cable, satellite, and streaming. It doesn't quite cover what you're looking for, but gives some idea where the BotW MCs may settle out.

https://www.bmoharris.com/main/personal/credit-cards/bmo-harris-cash-back-mastercard/

UMB appears to fit the bill with their Simply Rewards card - 3x points on gas, groceries, restaurants, fast food, discount stores (hmm...). No idea what the points are worth or what peoples' experience with them has been, but you should be in their geofence.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the link to the other thread @FinStar 

This is the type of information I was looking for.

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

Long time no post...

Since the jury is still out on whether BMO will make any potential changes to the BOTW rewards structure, I would definitely keep it and evaluate things when the time comes.

As far as 3% CCs go, there's AOD FCU and USAlliance Financial CU (both of these have alternative methods for becoming a member if you don't reside in their geo-footprint) Though, USAlliance's 3% offering is set to end at the end of the year unless they decide to extend it.

You can review the following topic for some other potential products. There is even very extensive write-ups already in the thread if you're looking for that level of detail as well.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/2-3-Cashback-CB-Credit-Card-CC-List/td-p/6197473

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies @yoshee08 

Edit to add: We'd like to avoid AF if possible... appreciate your time/suggestions nonetheless. (BCP rant, feel free to skip). While the BCP is beneficial, the "6%" advertised rate bugs me. While it is technically earning 6%, after subtracting the AF from annual spend, it's truly a ~4.4% cash back for groceries. While still better than most, there's certainly a sweet spot to obtain this... if you spend in excess of the 6k/yr, then you're earning 1% on those and thus resulting in an overall lower CB average than the "optimal" ~4.4%. Aim High had a note about this on one of his Smorgasboard posts with more detail and the math etc.

Not to be rude, but I hadn't included the current line up as it wasn't particularly relevant... as I am primarily hoping to find another card with the same 3/3/3/1 structure in case it got nerfed/modified. The only thing I recall from earlier tenure was (I think) the G1 CU Plat in California, which I am not eligible for. 

Essentially this card became a solo DD with the exception of local CU VISA that is solely present for places that don't take MC (mainly Costco). 

We (DW and I) have greatly consolidated are wallets in recent years and much prefer the simplicity over maximizing every single swipe nowadays...

For any who may be interested, we have the following cards, many of which are sock drawered as they were (mostly) acquired during my earlier tenure on the forum when DW and I were big on chasing aggregate limits/sign up bonuses in 2016/2017. 

Incoming long list...

Bank of the West CB MC - 6k

Local CU Visa - 12k

Cap One QS Visa - 12k

Citi DC - 11k

US Bank Cash+ - 8k

Discover IT - 10k

Chase Freedom - 10k

Chase Amazon Prime - 10k

PenFed CB Visa - 10

AmEx BCE (dg from BCP) - 25k

AmEx ED (dg from EDP) - 3k

Discover IT (DW) - 10k

Chase Freedom Unlimited (DW) - 5k

Chase Freedom (DW, dg from CSP) - 7k

Target Red Card (DW) - 8k

Lowe's - 7k

Victoria's Secret (DW) - 5k

American Eagle (DW) - 4k

Discover IT (parent AU from youth, card/account is my age on CBR and was originally Sears) - 18k
Blispay - 7k (I think this is still reporting open on CBRs...?)

Orher notables from the time period were the "first release" rose gold AmEx gold card, as well as the Marvel MC. Both of these have since been closed and apparently AmEx brings back the rose gold from time to time?

@yoshee08 wrote:

You didn't include your current Lineup, however amex cards even in a bifecta can either meet or surpass this.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info @gregorius  

Worst case, the existing BMO card you mention with 3/3 on gas/groceries would be sufficient. We dine out significantly less nowadays... COVID forced us to learn to cook, along with an expanding family. 

I just had a hard time finding another card that gave more than 2% on groceries aside from AmEx and the "new" Citi custom cash card. I honestly never gave a thought to BMO until now...

As for UMB, I've seen one branch in the state when out running errands, but never really stopped in or checked them out. However, I would prefer to stick with cash back cards due to point valuation fluctuation (or the easier potential of it). 

Thanks again for the info. 

@gregorius wrote:

While the jury is still out on how BMO Harris will integrate the BotW cards into their lineup, they recently modified their Cash Back Mastercard to earn 3% on gas and grocieries (up to $2500 spend/quarter), plus 5% on cable, satellite, and streaming. It doesn't quite cover what you're looking for, but gives some idea where the BotW MCs may settle out.

https://www.bmoharris.com/main/personal/credit-cards/bmo-harris-cash-back-mastercard/

UMB appears to fit the bill with their Simply Rewards card - 3x points on gas, groceries, restaurants, fast food, discount stores (hmm...). No idea what the points are worth or what peoples' experience with them has been, but you should be in their geofence.

Message 7 of 10
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info @gregorius  

Worst case, the existing BMO card you mention with 3/3 on gas/groceries would be sufficient. We dine out significantly less nowadays... COVID forced us to learn to cook, along with an expanding family. 

I just had a hard time finding another card that gave more than 2% on groceries aside from AmEx and the "new" Citi custom cash card. I honestly never gave a thought to BMO until now...

As for UMB, I've seen one branch in the state when out running errands, but never really stopped in or checked them out. However, I would prefer to stick with cash back cards due to point valuation fluctuation (or the easier potential of it). 

Thanks again for the info. 

UMB is my "I sure wish I'd known about that card before I got xxxx" 🙁

Two bank branches here.

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Apologies @yoshee08 

Not to be rude, but I hadn't included the current line up as it wasn't particularly relevant... as I am primarily hoping to find another card with the same 3/3/3/1 structure in case it got nerfed/modified. The only thing I recall from earlier tenure was (I think) the G1 CU Plat in California, which I am not eligible for. 

Essentially this card became a solo DD with the exception of local CU VISA that is solely present for places that don't take MC (mainly Costco). 

We (DW and I) have greatly consolidated are wallets in recent years and much prefer the simplicity over maximizing every single swipe nowadays...

For any who may be interested, we have the following cards, many of which are sock drawered as they were (mostly) acquired during my earlier tenure on the forum when DW and I were big on chasing aggregate limits/sign up bonuses in 2016/2017. 

Incoming long list...

Bank of the West CB MC - 6k

Local CU Visa - 12k

Cap One QS Visa - 12k

Citi DC - 11k

US Bank Cash+ - 8k

Discover IT - 10k

Chase Freedom - 10k

Chase Amazon Prime - 10k

PenFed CB Visa - 10

AmEx BCE (dg from BCP) - 25k

AmEx ED (dg from EDP) - 3k

Discover IT (DW) - 10k

Chase Freedom Unlimited (DW) - 5k

Chase Freedom (DW, dg from CSP) - 7k

Target Red Card (DW) - 8k

Lowe's - 7k

Victoria's Secret (DW) - 5k

American Eagle (DW) - 4k

Discover IT (parent AU from youth, card/account is my age on CBR and was originally Sears) - 18k
Blispay - 7k (I think this is still reporting open on CBRs...?)

Orher notables from the time period were the "first release" rose gold AmEx gold card, as well as the Marvel MC. Both of these have since been closed and apparently AmEx brings back the rose gold from time to time?

@yoshee08 wrote:

Just FYI, all Blispay accounts were closed by the lender on 9/20/21. 

Message 9 of 10
DONZI
Established Contributor

The Navy Federal Credit Union More Rewards is a nice 3/3/3/1 card.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.