cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Match only showing me **bleep** cards (changed address recently)

tag
ratchada
Contributor

Card Match only showing me **bleep** cards (changed address recently)

So, I lived at my previous address 12+ years, which overlaps with the time in which I started playing the credit card/reward/points/churning game. I started building my credit in 2018, and in that time until the present, I've progressed from EX 540 to EX 760. 

However, in Jan 2020, I moved, and ever since I did, Card Match (which previously only showed me mediocre cards like the lower tier of Capitol One offerings) only shows me totally **bleep**, low-prime cards like Credit One. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way around it? I also tried entering my old address into Card Match, but the same **bleep** low-prime card matches are all I get.

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Card Match only showing me **bleep** cards (changed address recently)

Where are you seeing these "card matches?" Are you referring to an app like Credit Karma or Experian? If so, don't put any weight behind those matches. They are purely for marketing purposes. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Where are you seeing these "card matches?" Are you referring to an app like Credit Karma or Experian? If so, don't put any weight behind those matches. They are purely for marketing purposes. 

www.creditcards.com 

Card Match tool

Message 3 of 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Don't put a lot of weight behind that tool. Like the rest, Credit Match is mostly marketing.

Message 4 of 10
ratchada
Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Don't put a lot of weight behind that tool. Like the rest, Credit Match is mostly marketing.

Yes, I realize that, but I'm just trying to understand the striking change in recommendations.

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

Credit Match actually gives legit prequals.

As for why they aren't showing right now, Chase has stopped participating for the time being so only AMEX and Credit One are listed as partners. Citi, BoA, Capital One, and Discover are also listed by name at the bottom of the page despite not showing up on the brand list at all. 

The fact is that prequals are hard to come by right now. Citi took down their prequals entirely, Capital One switched to only giving them for their subprime cards, etc.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditcards.com is most very definitely not a charity.

Credit cards are still being issued but issuers are pulling back hugely on marketing to third parties.

That may be one component.

Message 7 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit cards are still being issued but issuers are pulling back hugely on marketing to third parties.

This exactly. I always saw it as whatever issuer was paying the highest for advertising at the time would be the first to have their corresponding lineup of products displayed by the respective monitoring/matchup service. Example: AMEX budgets higher amounts for advertising in a given month, pays Credit Karma a higher premium for that period. Your approval odds go from showing "good" to now showing "excellent," despite no change in your actual profile. I agree with @Anonymous  that this site is more legit at matching than sites like Credit Karma, because I see when I check card match a legit SP shows up on my reports, but they still pedal to the highest bidder. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This exactly. I always saw it as whatever issuer was paying the highest for advertising at the time would be the first to have their corresponding lineup of products displayed by the respective monitoring/matchup service. Example: AMEX budgets higher amounts for advertising in a given month, pays Credit Karma a higher premium for that period. Your approval odds go from showing "good" to now showing "excellent," despite no change in your actual profile. I agree with @Anonymous  that this site is more legit at matching than sites like Credit Karma, because I see when I check card match a legit SP shows up on my reports, but they still pedal to the highest bidder. 

Also, at least historically, Card Match has had some better offers. e.g. the 100K MR for Plat, removing the need to spend hours trying to get it to come up incognito on the Amex site.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Credit Match actually gives legit prequals.

As for why they aren't showing right now, Chase has stopped participating for the time being so only AMEX and Credit One are listed as partners. Citi, BoA, Capital One, and Discover are also listed by name at the bottom of the page despite not showing up on the brand list at all. 

The fact is that prequals are hard to come by right now. Citi took down their prequals entirely, Capital One switched to only giving them for their subprime cards, etc.

Agree with this entirely. There's hardly anyone pushing prequals through Cardmatch in this current climate. I think the last time I checked it was back in April and decided it probably wouldn't be helpful for the foreseeable future. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.