Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Recommendations for Immediate Purchase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Recommendations for Immediate Purchase

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker but have a time-sensitive project which is drawing me out of the woodwork. I'm working with short notice and no time to research to try and help someone find a good card, so I'm going to trust you all for some recommendations.  

Here's the deal. This person needs an instant-approval card which will enable them to actually use it to make a purchase immediately. Therefore it'd have to be a company that enables you to view and use the actual card number right away... I've seen elsewhere that Amex is the only one that 100% does this, and that others vary? 

The purchase would be for $2,500 and their rough score via Mint (Transunion) is in the 740s. They've never had a credit card before, but have a few other open lines of credit which have helped build it up (8+ years of history, I think). The immediate purpose of the card is to enable them to make this emergency purchase (tomorrow), but they do ultimately want to have a good credit card for cashback/rewards and improving their score... it's just a lesser priority right now. 

They won't be able to pay it off immediately, so a 0% intro would be fantastic. I think a complicated travel rewards structure might be a bit much to start, so a straight cashback or a card with a nice bonus would be preferred (especially with the large purchase helping to reach the minimum spend). They spend enough in groceries (and gas) that they could probably handle an annual fee and still come out ahead, but I think they'd balk at the idea/math behind it so no fee is also preferred.

Sorry for the ramble... I'm a touch sleep deprived and all my usual know-how isn't proving useful because of different needs and financial situations. Not strictly relevant, but I'm trying to get them to accept a small loan to tide them over so they can actually spend some time researching and getting the best card for the long-term, but I want to have some good ideas for them if they choose to go the (hopeful) instant-approval route. Thanks muchly!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Card Recommendations for Immediate Purchase

Amex doesn't do it all the time.

Of the 4 instant online approvals I've gotten from Amex, not one offered me an instant card number. Last app was Delta Platinum in early June.

(BBP and EDP were phone apps, PRG was online but went pending.)
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Off the top of my head, it's only Amex who does this, but it's not a guarantee. Sometimes it doesn't work, and sometimes they just don't offer it to a person for whatever reason.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember on the first card but, the last 2 cards have been instant w/ Amex.

The only other one that comes to mind would be Apple thought he IPhone.  Digital payments would be possible immediately but, physical card of course would need to wait on the mail to arrive.

some with a phone app seems to offer immeidate access but, if the vendor doesn't take electronic payments it might be hard to get it to work.

For a $2500 purchase the first that comes to mind would be CSP since the threshold is ~4K for $505 in cash back or even higher for travel.

-- only caveat w/ Chase is they like to see at least a year of history @ 5K limit 

Go take a look over here if you can buy some time https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/

Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Unfortunately, no matter how good ones score is, going into a credit card app with absolutely no credit cards is a toss up on instsnt approvals. Some lenders want to see some credit card history. You may even run into verification issues. Alot of variables. At the end of the day Amex may be your friends only option but it will be iffy.
Message 5 of 13
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

If you have a iPhone...try for the Apple Card if it is available as an option.

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As another option, many issuers will overnight a card once approved, some automatically and some with a phone call. Off the top of my head, I know AmEx expedites their charge cards (green, gold, and platinum) automatically, Chase will overnight for free if you call and request it, and both Barclays and USAA will do it for a fee. That could be a workable path for your friend if they're willing to take a chance on FedEx not showing up on time.

Also, the new Apple card is immediately available in the Wallet app after approval. If your friend has an iPhone, they can check for pre-approval and see what the limit would be before taking a hard pull.

EDIT TO ADD: some personal loans fund the next day, too. If your friend has a bank account, the money could be deposited tomorrow so they can use it. I know Upstart does this, but there are likely others.
Message 7 of 13
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, the new Apple card is immediately available in the Wallet app after approval. If your friend has an iPhone, they can check for pre-approval and see what the limit would be before taking a hard pull.

Is that going to be a thing once the card actually comes out, or is that only a feature for the people they're giving it to now? I've never heard of a bank doing that, and I honestly think it's pretty freaking cool. I wish more banks would show you what limit and APR you're pre-approved for BEFORE the hard pull. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker but have a time-sensitive project which is drawing me out of the woodwork. I'm working with short notice and no time to research to try and help someone find a good card, so I'm going to trust you all for some recommendations.  

Here's the deal. This person needs an instant-approval card which will enable them to actually use it to make a purchase immediately. Therefore it'd have to be a company that enables you to view and use the actual card number right away... I've seen elsewhere that Amex is the only one that 100% does this, and that others vary? 

The purchase would be for $2,500 and their rough score via Mint (Transunion) is in the 740s. They've never had a credit card before, but have a few other open lines of credit which have helped build it up (8+ years of history, I think). The immediate purpose of the card is to enable them to make this emergency purchase (tomorrow), but they do ultimately want to have a good credit card for cashback/rewards and improving their score... it's just a lesser priority right now. 

They won't be able to pay it off immediately, so a 0% intro would be fantastic. I think a complicated travel rewards structure might be a bit much to start, so a straight cashback or a card with a nice bonus would be preferred (especially with the large purchase helping to reach the minimum spend). They spend enough in groceries (and gas) that they could probably handle an annual fee and still come out ahead, but I think they'd balk at the idea/math behind it so no fee is also preferred.

Sorry for the ramble... I'm a touch sleep deprived and all my usual know-how isn't proving useful because of different needs and financial situations. Not strictly relevant, but I'm trying to get them to accept a small loan to tide them over so they can actually spend some time researching and getting the best card for the long-term, but I want to have some good ideas for them if they choose to go the (hopeful) instant-approval route. Thanks muchly!

Does he/she have an iPhone? If yes, check wallet and see if Apple card is populated there and apply. If no, have him/her to sign up for an email invite, but that could take a day or 2 to receive.  

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Unfortunately, no matter how good ones score is, going into a credit card app with absolutely no credit cards is a toss up on instsnt approvals. Some lenders want to see some credit card history. You may even run into verification issues. Alot of variables. At the end of the day Amex may be your friends only option but it will be iffy.

^^^^ this

Excellent point ajc. Not having a CC history could present a big problem. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.