Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Back vs Points

tag
firehawk73
Valued Member

Cash Back vs Points

So I'm contemplating adding another card from my bank (PNC). They have 2 cards that intrigue me, a CB card (4/3/2/1%) and a Points card (Flat 4 points per $1). My question is wouldn't the points card equal out to a flat 4% CB on everything? My math is probably wrong but I'm assuming, at a .01 per point, if you spend $100, that's 400 points, which is $4. The CB card has different categories but I'll use the 4% category for the example. If you spend $100, 4% would be $4. It looks like the benefit of the Points card equals the 4% and beats the 3/2/1%. One last thing to add, since I have a checking account with them, I get a 50% bonus to points. Any information or opinions would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Cash Back vs Points

@firehawk73 wrote:

So I'm contemplating adding another card from my bank (PNC). They have 2 cards that intrigue me, a CB card (4/3/2/1%) and a Points card (Flat 4 points per $1). My question is wouldn't the points card equal out to a flat 4% CB on everything? My math is probably wrong but I'm assuming, at a .01 per point, if you spend $100, that's 400 points, which is $4. The CB card has different categories but I'll use the 4% category for the example. If you spend $100, 4% would be $4. It looks like the benefit of the Points card equals the 4% and beats the 3/2/1%. One last thing to add, since I have a checking account with them, I get a 50% bonus to points. Any information or opinions would be appreciated. 

It all depends on what your redemption options are.  Some points are worth less than a penny.  Some can be worth more.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Suggest you try out the CardPointers app

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 3 of 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Your math is wrong.

PNC point converted to direct cash is 0.2 cents. (also this) That is 1/5 of a cent.

If PNC point is 0.2 cents per point, that means "4 points" is equal to 0.8 cents, which is not even 1 cent.

Whereas a 1% reward means you get 1 cent, and 4% is 4 cents / per dollar.

$100 spend will not get you $4 back in cash. You get 80 cents (cash redeption).

Even suppose that you get 50% bonus points, that is still only 0.3 cents per point. 1.2 cents per dollar, which is worse than even Quicksilver's 1.5 cents per dollar.

if you are only redeeming for cashback, then go for cashback.

Cashback: no thinking required.

Points: can be worth more, or less. Definitely not for redemption to cash, in most cases.

If there is such a card (4% flat cash for all purchases), everyone in this forum would have it.

Message 4 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Your math is wrong.

PNC point converted to direct cash is 0.2 cents. (also this) That is 1/5 of a cent.

If PNC point is 0.2 cents per point, that means "4 points" is equal to 0.8 cents, which is not even 1 cent.

Whereas a 1% reward means you get 1 cent, and 4% is 4 cents / per dollar.

$100 spend will not get you $4 back in cash. You get 80 cents (cash redeption).

Even suppose that you get 50% bonus points, that is still only 0.3 cents per point. 1.2 cents per dollar, which is worst than eveny Quicksilver's 1.5 cents per dollar.

if you are only redeeming for cashback, then go for cashback.

Cashback: no thinking required.

Points: can be worth more, or less. Definitely not for redemption to cash, in most cases.

If there is such a card (4% flat cash for all purchases), everyone in this forum would have it.

+1  ^ ^ ^  This.  I think it was the PNC "Points" card that many of our members were converted to in the BBVA Clear Points transfer in merger with PNC.  I had looked up their points system and it's pretty weak, even at "better" redemption options.

Points systems can be attractive on some cards but they always require a degree of skepticism because valuation can be misleading.  And unfortunately, it's very easy on a "points" card for the lender to devalue them without some cardholders really noticing.  But cash is cash is cash. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

And it's doubtful that a bank offering a flat 4% cash back would also offer a 4/3/2/1% category card.  The customers wouldn't have to be all that math sophisticated to detect that one was much better.

(ETA: assuming other features such as AF are the same of course)

Message 6 of 10
nccarguy1
New Contributor

It's possible this card has the worst redemption rate of any credit card.  There really is nothing exciting about this card.  

Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@nccarguy1 wrote:

It's possible this card has the worst redemption rate of any credit card.  There really is nothing exciting about this card.  

Capital One Platinum MC?

Credit One card?

BECU low APR ( no rewards ) CC?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Still sounds better than a card that gives Scorecard points.

@firehawk73, others have covered how some points are worth less than other points, so I'll give some feedback on the other card: PNC's Cash Rewards card seems to be fairly well regarded. While there are a few cards that give 5% on gas, they're rotating or hard to come by, so that 4% plus the other useful categories makes it a decent general card, and one that you could keep using indefinitely (on gas, at least). It's the best PNC card.

Message 9 of 10
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

The advantage of cash back is that you don't have to select a predefined time to use it. 

Also you can move the cash back into an IRA and yield gains on it.

Travel cards cause you to spend more to maximize points. Like if you take a free night you might end up spending more at the hotel. I'm going to have to kill a free night with my Hyatt card as I have no other use for it. They work better when you're solidly taking 3-4 vacations a year.

I think it makes sense to hold back a certain amount of points in reserve, say 200,000 if you need a flight or travel otherwise cash them out and put them somewhere they can be more useful.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.