Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenge Accepted.

tag
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Challenge Accepted.

So I have read many posts containing diverse opinions about Cap 1, specifically their products and practices. This is not one of them. I have my personal opinion on them, and have even thought of closing my account mainly due to the stagnant $500 limit it has. I recently called the Executive office, to see if I would be as lucky as other people on this forum. Unfortunately the answer was what I presumed it to be. Yet, I have changed my mind about closing it. The "reason" I was not granted a PC or a CLI was due to the fact that I have not used this card in over a year, and if this reason is to be believed then I wish to change that.

I recently just finished an App Spree, so I need to complete my bonus spending to obtain the sign up offers. After that, I will make Cap 1 my daily driver. I will do this for 6-12 months, and then I will call the executive office again to see if I can have it PC to their Green CashBack Visa card. This won't be easy, as I will be forfeiting many great opportunities to obtain points/ cashback. I will pay off the card multiple times, since I spend more than $500/ month. 

My overall goal is to have all my cards over $5k, and as Cap 1 seems to be my stubborn card I will take on this challenge. And yes the title of this post is a Barney Stinson reference Smiley Happy

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Challenge Accepted.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Don't give in to Crap1!!!!!!

Maybe make a purchase every so often, but never let them be your daily card. If they aren't treating you right, don't treat them right. If you have cards with better rewards, use those. Make Crap1 earn your business, not the other way around. If they are not giving you the terms you want, don't give in. They can see your other accounts, if they want to compete then let them. Put some purchases on it, PIF, then try again later. You can only try so many times before you just need to give in and close the terrible card.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 6
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Mmm... this is true. There CashBack card is suppost to have "superior" CS. How much do you think I should run through a month? The lady I spoke with at the executive office commented on my credit, but said the issue was that I was not using their card. Capital One is a different animal, they don't really do much to obtain your business. If I close this account, it will stay on my credit for 10 years. I would rather have it at $5K in a years time, than still have it lingering at $500. 

Message 3 of 6
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

Mmm... this is true. There CashBack card is suppost to have "superior" CS. How much do you think I should run through a month? The lady I spoke with at the executive office commented on my credit, but said the issue was that I was not using their card. Capital One is a different animal, they don't really do much to obtain your business. If I close this account, it will stay on my credit for 10 years. I would rather have it at $5K in a years time, than still have it lingering at $500. 

I spoke with an underwriter at US Bank. He said they don't care about stuff like that. The account will remain on your report as being paid as agreed and in good standing for 10 years, the limit won't matter. This came up when I was talking with him, because they are closing two low limit accounts for me to open the Cash+ card.

Does "superior" CS mean $3 an hour instead of $2?

I think you should only make purchases on it that make sense. If you are purchasing something from one of their partner sites that earns you more than you can get anywhere else, then go for it. The last time I used their card was for a 5% back offer on their site. Once every few months should be enough.

Build a relationship with a bank worth while. For me it is US Bank. Not Crap1 who's top level agents can't transfer you to underwriting, and instead say their bank does not have an underwriting department.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 6
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

If I remember correctly your limits with Cap 1 are north of  1K. Was this your initial CL (besides the idiotic credit steps CLI) or was this brought on later? Have you closed your accounts? In terms of CS, I just want to be treated with respect. I would also like to speak with someone who is not controlled by what a computer dictates to them.

Message 5 of 6
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

If I remember correctly your limits with Cap 1 are north of  1K. Was this your initial CL (besides the idiotic credit steps CLI) or was this brought on later? Have you closed your accounts? In terms of CS, I just want to be treated with respect. I would also like to speak with someone who is not controlled by what a computer dictates to them.

When I had maybe 9 months of credit history from one credit card. I was approved for the journey card at a $1000 limit. After 6 months it went to $1.5k. 

Account is still open.

I kind of don't see the point of capital one. During an app spree, they are always last on the list. I am hoping the company fails, bad customer service and sub-par cards.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.