cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances at Chase Freedom (or Freedom Unlimited) approval OR datapoints with recent approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances at Chase Freedom (or Freedom Unlimited) approval OR datapoints with recent approvals

I'm interested in applying for the CF or CFU.  I have a Discover secured card that was opened December 2017, graduated July 2018, and has a $2500 limit.  I have a $20,000 yearly income with no other expenses besides the card.  I have had no other credit history or loans besides this card.  No missed payments, always pay in full, utilization always below 10%.  3 hard inquiries on EQ (nov 17/dec 17/jan 18).

Credit Karma 737 TU // 713 EQ

Discover 771 FICO

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Chances at Chase Freedom (or Freedom Unlimited) approval OR datapoints with recent approvals

I assume the FICO you listed from Discover is the TU score provided in your account.

You can go to discover’s free site to get your EX FICO 8 as well. Creditscorecard.com

Post that score as well since chase is a known EX/EQ puller.

The scores from credit karma don’t matter.

Chase likes to see a year of history especially with someone who is as new to credit as you appear to be. I would wait until December to apply once your discover card hits a year.

Chase isn’t known to be friendly towards those that are new to credit or have thin credit files in most cases. I would suggest waiting till your AAoA hits a year.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 9
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Chances at Chase Freedom (or Freedom Unlimited) approval OR datapoints with recent approvals

you need at least one year of established credit history for almost every card including chase

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditscorecard says 750 FICO

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has given me pre-qual offers.  Is it possible I'd get approved for one?

Message 5 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Amex is known to be friendlier towards thinner/younger files and their prequalified site is pretty accurate.

Make sure you get a card with an AF you can afford and that makes sense for your spending patterns.

Also Amex SUB’s are once in a lifetime so make sure you can hit the required spend.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd wait until January, or whenever Discover reports its 12th statement/payment.

You'd probably be able to get an approval from Amex now, but keep in mind that many cards are skittish about an applicant with recent accounts. That's especially true for a newer/thinner credit file. If you want the Amex then I would recommend waiting 6 additional months before applying for Chase.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got instantly approved for the Chase Freedom Unlimited with Average age of open accounts being 6 months. All accounts =15 months. Of course now they closed down my account because they dont like you applying for a bunch of new credit cards too soon after.
I think Amex is a good bet, they easily approved me for 3 of their cards with my thin profile.
Message 8 of 9
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

What do you want the most AMEX or Chase? Discover is a great card to have and will keep growing with use and care. I would consider getting an AMEX now if there is one you can get use/value out of then wait 6 months as others have said and go for a Chase card or two.  Yu already have 5% rotating catagories with discover, most of the time they mirror the regular freedom. The freedom unlimited for non catagory spend combined with a sapphire or reserve card to use the points with and catagory spend can be very valuable. I am not sure if you would get approved for the sapphire with your income but everything else looks great and you will be over a year old credit wise. I believe also Chase likes to see you with an existing line over $5k but some people have gotten approved for Sapphire without it.

This time is the most valuable/important time to keep your credit journey on the right track so pick with caution, youre off to a great start so keep it up!

Started: 4/14 Bank of America Signature $6k, 85% Utilization, 745 Fako
Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.