Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Card Issuers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Card Issuers

Aside from American Express are there any other current issuers of charge cards available in the US?

I see that Diners is available internationally, but it appears to be under different banks depending on the location.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Charge Card Issuers

Every card is a charge card If you pif. Why interested in charge cards? The amex ones are only worth it because of the benefits.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Every card is a charge card If you pif. Why interested in charge cards? The amex ones are only worth it because of the benefits.

+1 to this. Just prentend that you HAVE to pay off your balance every month. Then get the card(s) that best fit your spending patterns.

Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

+1 to this. Just prentend that you HAVE to pay off your balance every month. Then get the card(s) that best fit your spending patterns.

Yes, but in general, a charge card will allow you to charge more than a credit card of a similar age (the bank has higher confidence that it will be repaid, and/or will more quickly know of a problem).   But if OP is not planning significant charges early on, then yes, I agree.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I have other revolving accounts and that's what I do anyway.

I was just wondering if there were other competitors to the American Express ones or if they are the only issuer for that type of product?

Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, other than corporate cards available by specific issuers to various corporations, there really isn't anything available that you can apply for other than AMEX.

On the US side, and prior to BMO Harris acquiring the Diners Club portfolio from Citibank, personal charge cards were available (inclusive of Carte Blanche), but that's no longer a viable option.
Message 6 of 16
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

AFAIK AMEX is the only Charge card issuer left in the US. What started with Diner's Club in the 1950's and Carte Blanche and AMEX later on has been usurped by revolving credit accounts.

Message 7 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I think there was a Chase Ink (business) charge card a few years ago. I don't think it still exists, let alone is accepting applications.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 16
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

BA has a corporate world MC that is a charge card, but I do not think they offer it anymore for new accounts. It works exactly like AMEX with no pre set spending limit and is PIF each month. I have had it for about 6 years now.

Message 9 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:
Unfortunately, other than corporate cards available by specific issuers to various corporations, there really isn't anything available that you can apply for other than AMEX.

On the US side, and prior to BMO Harris acquiring the Diners Club portfolio from Citibank, personal charge cards were available (inclusive of Carte Blanche), but that's no longer a viable option.

I'm feeling nostalgic now and really regret not having a Diners Club and Carte Blanche today.  There is something fundamentally wrong with having three card brand logos on the current CB:

diners-club-corporate-carte-blanche.jpg

FWIW, Visa Signature, Visa Infinite, World MasterCard, and World Elite MasterCard cards should all have flexible spending features, which is at least a charge card feature.  But outside of the business and corporate card world, as others stated, I'm not aware of any actual charge cards (other than that one furniture store card whose name I can't remember right now) offered to consumers in the US.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.