Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Amazon Card

Iv'e been wanting to switch over to a different chase credit card product for some time when I finally get a chance to I was told because the Amazon Card was a special partner card that I would have to close it completey and start up a new application. Ive had the card since 2008 and currently it has a 2100 CL this is also one of my first CC the other being BB RZMC which only has a measly $600, which I will soon close if I don't get a CLI. Should I risk my history for a new CC product? The main reason why I signed up for the Amazon Card was at the time they were giving statement credits which made my purchase cheaper. As of today I rarely shop on amazon except for school textbooks. I was looking to switch over to Slate, Freedom, or Sapphire. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Amazon Card

i would leave it open. Also if you accumulate 5000 points you can redeem it for a $50.00 check.  i would also look at some thoe Citi rewards cards.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

keep it!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to threadjack this too much, but any idea what kind of scores they're look for for approval? I do probably 90-95% of my online shopping through Amazon, so the card would be really nice. When I applied for it about .. a year-ish ago, got a 7-10 day message. Called them and the not-so-nice lady on the phone basically told me to try again when I have credit history, but didn't say anything about scores. At that point I was pretty clueless about how credit worked so I didn't think of inquiring further.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndySoCal wrote:

i would leave it open. Also if you accumulate 5000 points you can redeem it for a $50.00 check.  i would also look at some thoe Citi rewards cards.

Also, Chase has just changed their rewards structure.  You don't have to wait until you get a determined amount of points.  You can cash in your points -- no matter how few you have -- immediately when shopping on Amazon.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to threadjack this too much, but any idea what kind of scores they're look for for approval? I do probably 90-95% of my online shopping through Amazon, so the card would be really nice. When I applied for it about .. a year-ish ago, got a 7-10 day message. Called them and the not-so-nice lady on the phone basically told me to try again when I have credit history, but didn't say anything about scores. At that point I was pretty clueless about how credit worked so I didn't think of inquiring further.

I was approved with no credit history at all. Well except for one other card that I opened around the same time. But it wouldn't have been relevent. Its a hit and miss thing for some. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

Also, Chase has just changed their rewards structure.  You don't have to wait until you get a determined amount of points.  You can cash in your points -- no matter how few you have -- immediately when shopping on Amazon.

I also have a AMEX gold premier rewards card and recently realized that you can also use your points towards amazon.com purchases. Here's the thing it will take me forever to accumulate even 1000 points because I rarely use the card I think I have a greater benefit with my other cards such as Amex Blue Cash, Discover More, and AMEX Gold. But I am just worried about my credit history. Is it really important to keep that going being that it is my longest running CC?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

I also have a AMEX gold premier rewards card and recently realized that you can also use your points towards amazon.com purchases. Here's the thing it will take me forever to accumulate even 1000 points because I rarely use the card I think I have a greater benefit with my other cards such as Amex Blue Cash, Discover More, and AMEX Gold. But I am just worried about my credit history. Is it really important to keep that going being that it is my longest running CC?

Even if you close the account, it will still continue to report and included in your average age of accounts for approximately ten more years.  Where you could take a hit, though, is on your overall utilization ratio.  The credit limit will be removed from consideration and it could look like you are using a higher percentage of your credit.

If there is no annual fee, I'd say let it be.  Use it once a month for lunch at Subway.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.