Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase App Experience: Freedom + Sapphire Preferred

tag
greenpang
Contributor

Chase App Experience: Freedom + Sapphire Preferred

I've been waiting weeks for this day.

I came up with a plan to maximize rewards in 2013, and it involved adding two Chase cards to my wallet: Freedom and CSP. I was just waiting until all of my statements cut so I was under 10% util. Last one cut today, and I was ready to go.

I'd read a lot about experiences applying for Chase cards, but I still learned a few things throughout my app process.

I knew that Chase automatically blocks double applications in the same day, so I figured I'd see what happened if I simultaneously applied for one by phone and one online.

I was apping for the Freedom over the phone with my CSP app filled out online, ready to press the submit button for CSP as soon as I authorized processing the Freedom app over the phone.

The app submissions then occurred within seconds of each other. I clicked "Submit" for CSP online at the same second I said "yes" to authorize submission over the phone.

15-20 seconds passed.

Phone rep for Freedom app came back and give me the 7-10 day story.

CSP online app said further information was needed to process my app, please call 888-270-2127.

I hung up with the phone rep for the Freedom app and called the number. Chatted up the new rep, she pulled up my info and said there were two apps there. I explained my simultaneous phone/online submissions. She went ahead and verified some info and then processed my CSP app. Came back 20 seconds later and told me I'd been approved for the CSP with a 10k limit. Woohoo!

I thanked her and asked if she could process my Freedom app now too, that maybe I got the 7-10-day story because of the simultaneous apps. She had some more verification questions but was happy to process that one too. Came back 20 seconds later and asked me why I had so many accounts open in the past year. Talked about reasons for opening each, relieved any suspicions there. She said she'd add these notes and asked me to hold briefly again. Came back with approval for the Freedom... with a 1k limit. Hm.

I wasn't expecting something so low, so I was a little thrown off my game, and I just thanked her and ended the call. Then, I called the standard Chase reconsideration number (888-245-0625) and asked about getting a higher limit on the Freedom. Was informed that would require an additional hard pull. No thanks.

Called back the other number (888-270-2127) and talked to a guy there who was much more personable. I explained how I was hoping to make the Chase Freedom one of my primary cards and that a $1000 credit line was pretty limiting for my spending habits. He said he could either do another hard pull for an increase there, or I could move some of my CSP's limit to the Freedom. I pushed a little harder and asked if there was any way I could just get an increase on the Freedom without another pull. He took a look at my info and said that because my highest current limit is my 8K Amex, and that was only opened in the past year, it's unlikely I'd be able to get more than this current 11K total (10K CSP + 1K Freedom) from Chase right now.

So the 10K I got on the CSP decreased what I'd be able to get on the Freedom. OHHH. How did I not realize this.

I asked specifically, if I'd applied for the Freedom first instead, would I have likely gotten a higher limit there? He said yes and went on to inform me that had I gotten the Freedom processed first and gotten a high limit there, I then might not have even been approved for the CSP, since the CSP's limits start at 5K.

Could not believe I hadn't even considered the impact of one card's CL on the other's. Or that the order would matter like this!

I decided to go with the option to move some of my CSP's limit to my Freedom. He transferred me to the department that handles that, and I had 4K from the CSP moved to the Freedom.

Final result: 6K CSP and 5K Freedom approved in one day. Not bad.

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Application Experience: Freedom + Sapphire Preferred

congrats on both cards! i wish i could get the CSP

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@greenpang wrote:

I've been waiting weeks for this day.

I came up with a plan to maximize rewards in 2013, and it involved adding two Chase cards to my wallet: Freedom and CSP. I was just waiting until all of my statements cut so I was under 10% util. Last one cut today, and I was ready to go.

I'd read a lot about experiences applying for Chase cards, but I still learned a few things throughout my app process.

I knew that Chase automatically blocks double applications in the same day, so I figured I'd see what happened if I simultaneously applied for one by phone and one online.

I was apping for the Freedom over the phone with my CSP app filled out online, ready to press the submit button for CSP as soon as I authorized processing the Freedom app over the phone.

The app submissions then occurred within seconds of each other in this order. I clicked "Submit" for CSP online at the same second I said "yes" to authorize submission over the phone.

15-20 seconds passed.

Phone rep for Freedom app came back and give me the 7-10 day story.

CSP online said further information was needed to process my app, please call 888-270-2127.

I hung up with the phone rep for the Freedom app and called the number. Chatted up the new rep, she pulled up my info and said there were two apps there. I explained my simultaneous phone/online submissions. She went ahead and verified some info and then processed my CSP app. Came back 20 seconds later and told me I'd been approved for the CSP with a 10k limit. Woohoo!

I thanked her and asked if she could process my Freedom app now too, that maybe I got the 7-10-day story because of the simultaneous apps. She had some more verification questions but was happy to process that one too. Came back 20 seconds later and asked me why I had so many accounts open in the past year. Talked about reasons for opening each, relieved any suspicions there. She said she'd add these notes and asked me to hold briefly again. Came back with approval for the Freedom... with a 1k limit. Hm.

I wasn't expecting something so low, so I was a little thrown off my game, and I just thanked her and ended the call. Then, I called the standard Chase reconsideration number (888-245-0625) and asked about getting a higher limit on the Freedom. Was informed that would require an additional hard pull. No thanks.

Called back the other number (888-270-2127) and talked to a guy there who was much more personable. I explained how I was hoping to make the Chase Freedom one of my primary cards and that a $1000 credit line was pretty limiting for my spending habits. He said he could either do another hard pull for an increase there, or I could move some of my CSP's limit to the Freedom. I pushed a little harder and asked if there was any way I could just get an increase on the Freedom without another pull. He took a look at my info and said that because my highest current limit is my 8K Amex, and that was only opened in the past year, it's unlikely I'd be able to get more than this current 11K total (10K CSP + 1K Freedom) from Chase right now.

So the 10K I got on the CSP decreased what I'd be able to get one the Freedom. OHHH. How did I not realize this.

I asked specifically, if I'd applied for the Freedom first instead, would I have likely gotten a higher limit there? He said yes and went on to inform me that had I gotten the Freedom processed first and gotten a high limit there, I then might not have even been approved for the CSP, since the CSP's limits start at 5K.

Could not believe I hadn't even considered the impact of one card's CL on the other's. Or that the order would matter like this!

I decided to go with the option to move some of my CSP's limit to my Freedom. He transferred me to the department that handles that, and I had 4K from the CSP moved to the Freedom.

Final result: 6K CSP and 5K Freedom approved in one day. Not bad.

Congratulations! I recently PCed my Slate to Freedom, and approved for CSP. Love the cashback combo so far!

Did you get the Visa Signature/World Mastercard version of the Freedom?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 10
ricefed
Contributor

I applied at a chase branch for my csp. Was approved for $6900. I then went home an hour later I applied online for the slate with a balance transfer of 5500 and got the 7-10 day message. I logged in the next morning around 5:30 am and I was approved for the slate for 6000. So it is possible to app for two chase cards in one day.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 4 of 10
greenpang
Contributor

@SwiftTone: With everything that was going on, I didn't ask about Visa Signature/World Mastercard. I should have! Smiley Happy

Nothing was said either way -- not sure if that means I didn't. Should know in a week!

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 5 of 10
ricefed
Contributor

Re: Chase App Experience: Freedom + Sapphire Preferred

You get the visa automatically, you have to request the mc.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 6 of 10
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Awesome! 

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 7 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Very interesting, but glad you were approved!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 10
greenpang
Contributor

@ricefed wrote:
I applied at a chase branch for my csp. Was approved for $6900. I then went home an hour later I applied online for the slate with a balance transfer of 5500 and got the 7-10 day message. I logged in the next morning around 5:30 am and I was approved for the slate for 6000. So it is possible to app for two chase cards in one day.

I agree it is possible to app for two Chase cards in one day. However, I do not think it is possible to be instant approved for two cards in one day. As I realized from my app process here, Chase is concerned with the combined amount of credit they are extending to you in one day. The instant approval is so fast, it would not allow for that sort of assessment with relation to your current credit situations. Both of mine were pretty much instant approvals when I called, but they had to be considered together.

I believe that once your SSN is entered, it is registered in their system as to not allow a second app to be instant approved if submitted within 24 hours. So that is probably why you got the 7-10 day message for your second app. But then they reviewed your situation and were able to approve you shortly afterward.

Message 9 of 10
greenpang
Contributor

Both cards arrived today!

CSP is hot!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.