Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CC strategy

tag
jcooks
Established Contributor

Re: Chase CC strategy

If your profile is current, you still have a very thin profile.  Chase has been known to not like thin profiled customers.  I would recommend just using it and paying in full for a few months before requesting a CLI or even applying for a new card.  I wouldn't poke the bear too much, give it some time. 

I got an auto CLI from Chase on my Freedom Flex after a few months (I can't recall exactly how many) but it was less than 6 months.  

Message 11 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @SouthJamaica and @jcooks  I'm dreading more HP pulls lol, already too many(see my sig). Seems I've made all the wrong choices, I'm now even ruing that I canceled US Bank Cash + secured last February, wasting HP($300 minimum).

As I said basically hoping for auto CLI for CFF(have been charging like $300/month for 500 limit but pay frequently IF to avoid high util, if that doesn't do, lol...this time gonna let like 150 reporting at stmt cut early next month then immediately PIF), and also waiting for CO Plat to be unsecured(nearing 1 year) and PC it to Venture One(or Quicksilver? hmm,,).

Getting greedier and greedier lol, and I want my future cards to have 5k SL(like VIsa Sig); and that can only happen after gardening, so...have been checking prequals, and will only do that, to avoid HP.

Message 12 of 43
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks @SouthJamaica and @jcooks  I'm dreading more HP pulls lol, already too many(see my sig). Seems I've made all the wrong choices, I'm now even ruing that I canceled US Bank Cash + secured last February, wasting HP($300 minimum).

As I said basically hoping for auto CLI for CFF(have been charging like $300/month for 500 limit but pay frequently IF to avoid high util, if that doesn't do, lol...this time gonna let like 150 reporting at stmt cut early next month then immediately PIF), and also waiting for CO Plat to be unsecured(nearing 1 year) and PC it to Venture One(or Quicksilver? hmm,,).

Getting greedier and greedier lol, and I want my future cards to have 5k SL(like VIsa Sig); and that can only happen after gardening, so...have been checking prequals, and will only do that, to avoid HP.

You should just chill out. Prequalifications have nothing to do with avoiding a hard pull.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 13 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now I'm just waiting for an auto CLI by CFF, I've been heavily using it and PIF, hoping for an increase from a meagre 500. Got the card last October almost the same time as Citi DC, and already had an auto CLI from DC(1000 to 1500) about a month ago. I really would like an increase to use it on travel such as rental car. Did use it on some domestic flights which is cheaper than rental(Spirit, etc., which cost around 200 lol). I might be going home soon(South Korea), so it'll be great if I can use my saved UR points.

If no increase, I wonder what my chance is for Amazon(not Prime). Seeing so many monster CLI, just wets my appetite lol. Ideally if I get it and get CLI, will allocate most of them to Flex to use for travel. Or can one use Chase travel portal with this Amazon card as well. 

Or, I read that Slate edge confers bigger SL, but other than allocating limit to CFF,  have really no use for it. 

Right now no CC offers at Just For You section, and if I click Open an acct; personal CC, always show 6 cards, Slate Edge, SP, SR, Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Plus, Boundless, Explorer, but not Amazon. Not getting preapproved at Amazon site either.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I know I should just garden lol, but just in case..I'm thinking I 'might' apply for Amazon next month(Disco It was February, so frankly too early, but who knows...)

1. I wouldn't pin my hopes on an auto CLI from Chase. Yes they happen but not something to count on. The best way to get one is to use the card heavily and pay it down heavily. But if you don't get one after the card's been open 7 months, your best shot is to burn a hard pull on a CLI application.

2. The monster credit limits and CLI's on the Amazon Prime card could be a passing thing; historically it didn't have particularly high limits.

3.  Amazon prime doesn't give you UR rewards.

4.  I don't know where you read that the Chase Slate has high limits; everything I have seen points to the opposite, low starting limits.

Thank you @SouthJamaica , well then I will just have to wait for auto CLI, till next month, and if it doesn't happen, hmmm, not good, can't really apply for another core card like Unlimited and CSP, per 5/24 rule.

My only hope then is to try for Amazon Visa and if it gets approved for a decent limit, try to reallocate some or most of the limits to CFF..and yes those monster SL/CLI for Amazon(wonder if it's only been done for Prime, I was actually gunning for non-Prime version which nets 3% not 5% on Amazon purchases..) might be a passing thing, or already has passed lol, which is why I'm nervous about the application timing, uggghh..

1. You can always do a CLI application if you're willing to burn a hard pull.

2.  Chase is very user friendly about reallocating limits.

What are they going to reallocate? 

The $500 approval? 

Message 14 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

$500 approval from Chase is a message. 

Anyway, go apply and report back. DPs are always welcome. 

Message 15 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

In reading around this Forum and personal experience ... one may need to chill or garden as creditors do look at the number of new accounts and may not issue or issue smaller starting credit limits. Then the challenge becomes getting the credit limits increased to usable limits. Often times the economic environment may play in too. Financials get concerned and even the best profiles have challenges getting good CLIs.

At any rate food for thought? Gardening for six months surely has been my friend Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 43
jcooks
Established Contributor

My sweet spot for Chase is 1 card in every 6 months.  I've tried Hyatt card a month after getting CSP insta-approved for 12.7k and tried reconning 3x with no success.  

Message 17 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

$500 approval from Chase is a message. 

Anyway, go apply and report back. DPs are always welcome. 

no I won't 😅 even if I get somehow approved, per my thin file and low scores, probably will get toy limit and don't want that! Chase is the most conservative for me, Citi approved me for 1000 and like a month ago bumped it to 1500, CO 2000, Disco 3000..as y'all all said, gotta just wait and garden..thanks for all your inputs! 

Message 18 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

in sum I'm not going to apply before it's preapproved/prequalified. CO SO and Disco CB this year were done via preapproval. So in the case of Chase Amazon, Amazon prequalify tool at the site. Still ruing that I couldn't take advantage of gas this month, only using Citi DC for 2% but did take advantage of Chevron 5% offer by CFF(used only once and the offer vanished quickly lol on site). And next month Disco CB 5% kicks in, so got that covered. If 24 fitness bill continues to be categorized as travel/entertainment, can use CO SO for that(will see how it actually goes).

It's really pretty much nitpicking(for example cell phone bill, which is quite modest actually; USBank Cash + or EMP for that, why did I cancel Cash + SC lol. AMEX BCP for Transit, which is also actually modest?, like $50 per month at best?).

Conclusion; gardening as strategy and waiting for CLI(or Godot 😭) 😅

So already 3 cashback cards, all good ones, like CFF, CO SO, Disco It. Plus 2% card, Citi DC. Travel card would be nice but won't use it immediately anyway, and if they CLI CFF, that would be a lifesaver. And, CO shopping portal is actually quite good, they have a price app that can be applied while browsing Amazon and also 3-5% on Expedia too.

It's nice that I got grocery covered for 12 months(well, now like 5-6 months since I've applied) via CFF for 5% 

Putting a best spin on my sprees so far 😅  Actually bought pretty much everything late last year and early this year at Amazon(Synchrony card was heavily used), and also travel expenses till May, so spending will be actually quite modest for the next few months.

Message 19 of 43
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As I said basically hoping for auto CLI for CFF(have been charging like $300/month for 500 limit but pay frequently IF to avoid high util, if that doesn't do, lol...this time gonna let like 150 reporting at stmt cut early next month then immediately PIF),

I think you'll need to go higher than 60% utilization on the card for the force CLI method with Chase(if it's even going to work). Go for 80% or higher before you pay it off. Even if it reports at closing(which I won't suggest here because of the very active credit seeking), Chase will report it back to 0 as soon as you pay it off. Anyhow good luck.

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.