Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Cards Back to Back?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Cards Back to Back?

@iced wrote:

Chase has no problems with two new accounts in a short period of time if your profile is otherwise satisfactory in their eyes. I applied for a Chase card in August 2016, was not instantly approved. Called in next day; turns out they just wanted to verify my identity and then approved for $30,000 on the phone. Two months later, I applied for a different Chase card and that time was instantly approved, also for $30,000. 

EX score wasokk but not great. Chase did not seem bothered in the least by my applying for two cards back to back.

2016...that's not exactly up to date info. 

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

ah ok, well over 5/24 makes sense haha

Message 22 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@iced wrote:

Chase has no problems with two new accounts in a short period of time if your profile is otherwise satisfactory in their eyes. I applied for a Chase card in August 2016, was not instantly approved. Called in next day; turns out they just wanted to verify my identity and then approved for $30,000 on the phone. Two months later, I applied for a different Chase card and that time was instantly approved, also for $30,000. 

EX score was ok but not great. Chase did not seem bothered in the least by my applying for two cards back to back.

Right, but again, things have changed since 2 and a half years ago. All Chase cards fall under 5/24 now, and Chase is very skittish about two apps in one day. There are many datapoints of shutdowns occuring after multiple Chase apps.

If someone wants to roll the dice, have at it. I just think there's enough evidence to say Chase isn't accepting of this behavior anymore.

I would never advocate same-day or even same-week applications, Chase or no Chase. There's just no reason to need two new cards in that period of time.

OP has a 2.5 month timeframe to work with, so there's plenty of time to inject a month and a half between applications.

If 5/24 is a concern for the OP, that needs to be stated up front by the OP. Most people outside this or churning forums are not going to have to worry about 5/24. That's the behavior Chase despises and what generates the fear around here that Chase is skittish on this sort of thing. I just don't see them denying an existing Chase cardholder over 2 cards in 2 months, especially if those 2 cards are the only ones they've asked for in a while. If these are cards 6 and 7 for 2019, yeah, expect problems. 

I don't assume everyone is 5+/24 or trying to pull off some other known trick like two-pulls-one-day unless they state as such. Those that are/do usually already know Chase isn't going to give them the time of day.

As for 2016 vs. 2019, yes it's been a few years, but I really don't see Chase straying all that far from their old methods, except they've gotten tougher on people who frequently chase new cards and SUBs (we covered that above). And there's been at least one post in this thread (thisjustin21) suggesting that they still accomodated two requests in as many months as of January 2019, so I'll gladly stand behind my statement there.

Message 23 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Some profiles can handle scrutiny. OP did not provide enough info about his to somewhat customize responses, in which case I'd rather err on the side of caution. 

Message 24 of 26
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

I suppose that I could have been a little more specific with details during the original post. It seems I omitted some valuable points.

I have been a Freedom cardholder since 2013. Chase rewarded my loyalty by doubling my CL with Freedom, last year. I had one HP for CapOne QSilver, that was last May (so almost a year old) and the HP mentioned for the Freedom Unlimited, first of February (1 month old).

There is no intent to "trick" the system or circumvent Chase's guidelines or generosity in any way. I am below the 5/24 requirement. I guess I thought by simply asking my question it would be presumed so. Oversight. I will say that I am seeking to boost higher limits for score purposes, but my plans are to chop wood and garden after possibly getting the SapphireP. I have a 2-3year goal of gardening and then shooting for a home loan. At which point, both my current accounts (and presumably) the Sapphire, would have aged considerably.

I would never consider any same day, week or even month apps. But, what I'm hearing is two months have been successful, three has been a threshold for many and six is erring on the side of caution. If I apply around the first of May, that would meet the three month threshold some are mentioning here, allow my score to climb a little and give me time, if approved, to receive the Sapphire Preferred in time before a scheduled trip (insto facto giving me the opportunity to blow by the sign up bonus requirement and hopefully picking up a boatload of reward points).

Same day apps... lol... some of you guys are devious 🤣

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the Sapphire first, Chase doesn't negotiate APRs later.
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.