cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase updating balances prior to statement cut?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Chase updating balances prior to statement cut?

I just paid off my Ritz card on Monday, which was the due date.

On 2/18, Chase reported the 0 balance to Experian. Haven't seen EQ and TU update yet. Statement has yet to generate however and will not be generated until the 20th. Called CS to verify and they said my statement will cut on the 20th, but is unsure with regards to the balance reporting date with the CRAs.

Did Chase change their policies, or is this is just a one-time weird timing due to the lesser number of days in Feb? I went through my CR 3 times to make sure I wasn't looking at the wrong account. My due dates for the CSP and Freedom are still a few days away, but I paid off everything today just to be on the safe side.

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I may apply for some cards in April so I wouldn't want balances reporting next cycle. Both CSRs that I have spoken to are clueless about it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase updating balances prior to statement cut?

Hmm. Interesting, none of mine have reported early this month.  UMPE, CSP or Freedom

Message 2 of 17
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

My CSP reported early this month as well. I had a 0% BT on the card for a couple months, and PIF'd on 2/3/14. Chase updated the account to a Zero Balance on 2/6/14. The regular statement date for this account cut on 2/16/2014. I got a regualr statement, as scheduled. I assumed that mine reported early because I paid in full.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 3 of 17
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

That's very interesting. My freedom posted a few days after statement cuts like it always does.

Message 4 of 17
newUser0
Established Contributor

I paid my Freedom, as soon as my statement cut. It reported correct balance to all 3 CB.

Message 5 of 17
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

My freedom reported twice a billing cycle, one around 9th, one after 19th, which is my cut date!

Message 6 of 17
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

I just paid off my Ritz card on Monday, which was the due date.

On 2/18, Chase reported the 0 balance to Experian. Haven't seen EQ and TU update yet. Statement has yet to generate however and will not be generated until the 20th. Called CS to verify and they said my statement will cut on the 20th, but is unsure with regards to the balance reporting date with the CRAs.

Did Chase change their policies, or is this is just a one-time weird timing due to the lesser number of days in Feb? I went through my CR 3 times to make sure I wasn't looking at the wrong account. My due dates for the CSP and Freedom are still a few days away, but I paid off everything today just to be on the safe side.

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I may apply for some cards in April so I wouldn't want balances reporting next cycle. Both CSRs that I have spoken to are clueless about it.

you are not the only one it has happned to enharu. Anytime i payoff any of my chase cards down to 0 it updates it on my CRs which had a previous balance reporting of course. It started for me a couple of months ago. Noticed that if the statement reported a balance on my CR and then paid it down completely before next cycle, it would updated on the reports.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 17
gmason
Contributor

Same here. I've seen multiple reports by Chase, but only when I've paid the balance to $0 before the statement date. And then Chase always seems to update again on the statement date. It's nice that they only report $0 mid-cycle, but worrisome if they decide to randomly report when there might be a balance.

Message 8 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I guess I'm not that lucky! Paid off the UMPE middle of last month and it updated as usual, around the 3rd of the month. 

Message 9 of 17
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I noticed this earlier with my Freedom card. Statement cuts on 27th but when i checked Equifax report about a week before that date, it was already showing the new balance that i used in that statement period and paid off. 

Again when my United MileagePlus card reported for the first time on all credit bureau report it reports a high balance. I paid of 2 days after. And next day I got a notification from MyFICO Equifax report that the new balance is zero on this card. Are they reporting real time? 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.