Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Citi Costco

So, i'd like for the Citi Costco card to be my next card. Mostly for some additional util padding, but also because i can then use it for Citi presale concert tickets. There are some good shows this year, that i could benefit from that perk.

With only 2% back at costco, i'll likely continue to use my CFU instead since the redemption is higher when xfering points from CFU to CSP.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask...

Is it better to apply for the card at Costco in person, or via the Citi website? Does it really matter? I'm thinking of going after it this month, possibly.

|  
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Costco

Applying in person can sometimes give you some small item of merchandise, like a reusable shopping bag. At one point they offered a $55 statement credit (2017? 2018?) when applying in person.

I got an AA Platinum Select with a nice SUB in early 2016, then PCed to Costco in early 2017. That gave me the combination of a great bonus and a reasonable long-term earn rate.

I use BofA Premium now for most Costco spend. Costco just gets gas and extended warranty stuff.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 22
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

I believe in stores right now they are offering a free backpack.  I often wondered however if your approval odds increase in store where a membership is a factor.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 3 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you don't plan to use the card at Costco, would it make more sense to consider the Premier which has a massive SUB and also earns bonus points on entertainment?  You could always PC it later, or like many of us get it to churn and then instead end up keeping it because it's a good card.

Edit: And seeing that you have a US Bank card, have you run the numbers for Altitude Reserve?  Every Costco I have been to should be set up to earn you 4.5% back with that card.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^That's a good idea, K-in-Boston!

Message 5 of 22
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you don't plan to use the card at Costco, would it make more sense to consider the Premier which has a massive SUB and also earns bonus points on entertainment?  You could always PC it later, or like many of us get it to churn and then instead end up keeping it because it's a good card.

Edit: And seeing that you have a US Bank card, have you run the numbers for Altitude Reserve?  Every Costco I have been to should be set up to earn you 4.5% back with that card.

My USBank card is a corporate card via my company. So, i'm not sure they'll consider that as a USBank relationship. I love the idea of the Altitude reserve, but right now my daily spend all goes on my CFU and CSP for UR points. I'm not sure i can justify the $400 AF, if i'm even eligible.

I've looked at the Premier also, again like the Altitude Reserve, i just don't want another AF card that i don't plan to use daily. I already have the Platinum, and plan to PC my CSP to the CSR in July when i'm eligibile. IF i can PC the Premier to the Costco card after 1 year, maybe it would make sense. But i didn't think that was an option.

|  
Message 6 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

A PC should certainly be an option.  wasCB14 mentioned doing so up thread. I believe the restrictions often come with PCing a Costco Card to another card.  Otherwise, Citi is one of the most flexible issuers when it comes to PCs.

Even if you don't use the SUB for travel, you could cash out the $600 and more than offset that $95 AF.

Message 7 of 22
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I applied online and was approved for $5,000.  I think it doesn't matter if your apply online or in the club.  

Let's us know the outcome.

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NimbusIII wrote:

I believe in stores right now they are offering a free backpack.  I often wondered however if your approval odds increase in store where a membership is a factor.

Membership is a requirement for the card no matter how one applies. When I called to PC I had to provide my membership number for them to process the PC.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 22
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

A PC should certainly be an option.  wasCB14 mentioned doing so up thread. I believe the restrictions often come with PCing a Costco Card to another card.  Otherwise, Citi is one of the most flexible issuers when it comes to PCs.

Even if you don't use the SUB for travel, you could cash out the $600 and more than offset that $95 AF.

These are good points. I just may look at the premier as an option. If i do that i'll wait a few more months until i've hit my Platinum SUB.

Are there any xfer partners with ThankYou points? Or do you have to use their travel portal. I've never had a Citi card before. 

United, Delta, Marriott or worst case, Hilton, would be where i'd want to use them.

|  
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.