Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This is an interesting new offering.  For those who have modest spend in a category like groceries, it might be a good fit. 

A few things are notable; 'Bookstores' is not a category (so no 5% off Amazon - a comparison to the old Sallie Mae came to mind here) and Walmart is excluded from the grocery category. 

I have too much recent activity to apply for it, but I might consider doing a PC of my Rewards+ MasterCard if they'll let me.  I'll have to think about that a bit. 🤔

If you do it, I'll do it, too.

Then we can combine our limits to pay for two coffees 

Thought you didn't like Starbucks anymore

Who cares, given my recent track record, I'd probly apply for Simplicity thinking it's this one. 

I hate Starbucks, and I hate standing behind the person whose coffee order sounds like manifesto which in WA is everyone (except me). 

I ask for plain brewed coffee, and barista looks offended .. "I didn't go through two weeks of training to pour coffee in cups!!!" 

Message 61 of 550
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This is an interesting new offering.  For those who have modest spend in a category like groceries, it might be a good fit. 

A few things are notable; 'Bookstores' is not a category (so no 5% off Amazon - a comparison to the old Sallie Mae came to mind here) and Walmart is excluded from the grocery category. 

I have too much recent activity to apply for it, but I might consider doing a PC of my Rewards+ MasterCard if they'll let me.  I'll have to think about that a bit. 🤔

If you do it, I'll do it, too.

Then we can combine our limits to pay for two coffees 

Thought you didn't like Starbucks anymore

Who cares, given my recent track record, I'd probly apply for Simplicity thinking it's this one. 

I hate Starbucks, and I hate standing behind the person whose coffee order sounds like manifesto which in WA is everyone (except me). 

I ask for plain brewed coffee, and barista looks offended .. "I didn't go through two weeks of training to pour coffee in cups!!!" 

Message 62 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@VintageMel wrote:

As a sort of counterpoint to the idea that this card beats the AmEx BCP, as someone who blows through the $6,000 grocery cap on the BCP in about 6 months, I'm not even thinking about this in terms of competition.  I see this as a potential complement to the BCP that could really maximize my grocery earnings.  I may be a bit of an oddball though.

I was thinking about this during lunch (about an hour ago), but for people who strongly prefer no annual fee cards and spend a lot on groceries, someone could get BOTH the Citi Custom Cash and the Capital One SavorOne (3% rewards on groceries), using the Custom Cash for spending up to $500/month and the SavorOne for spending above that amount.  Users would get the added benefit of earning 3% on dining, entertainment, and streaming services via the SavorOne.

If someone also had 5% fixed rotator cards that sometimes offer groceries as a bonus category (i.e. Chase Freedom Flex and/or Discover Cash It), that person could use the Custom Cash for the first $500 in grocery spend per month, use the CFF and/or Discover It for spending above that up to $1500 in the bonus category quarter, and use the SavorOne (or Amex Blue Cash Everyday) for any additional grocery spending above the Custom Cash, CFF, and/or Discover It rewards limits in a given month or quarter.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 63 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

The longer I think about it, the happier I am I went for the card.

I am forever bent out of shape by my rotators' refusal to match their calendars to my spend on home improvement, and since I regularly shop three stores, I never got around to getting store cards.    I was pondering a second Cash+ for home improvement (they've got my cell & gym) but since I have the self control of a squirrel on speed, USBank will probably never give me a second card.

This could work very nicely with my BCP, because it can mop up my grocery spend later in the year, which is historically not covered by rotators.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 64 of 550
sxa001
Valued Contributor

As I move more and more to the world of cashback I have to say this card sounds really appealing.  I am going to have to give this some serious thought, as my scores didn't seem to take a big dip post mortage and I haven't asked Citi for anything recently.  I don't think Citi PC's from the co-branded cards like the AA card to these core cards.  

This would slot in nicely with my rotating category cards and my MAX Cash.  though I am already earning 3% on everything not covered by rotating cards of MAX Cash with the AOD FCU card and with a cap of $500 per month we are talking $10 difference each month so probably not amazing enough to add a new card just yet. 

Message 65 of 550
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Thanks for the posting about the Citi Custom Cash card, @UncleB!  Always good to read about new offerings.

This is an interesting card.  Unlike most of the variable-category cards which either have preselected categories or require you to choose on a monthly or quarterly basis, this one just automatically gives you the higher 5% return on your highest category.  For consumers unlike the My Fico crowd who don't want to carry a dozen credit cards and remember which to use for what purchase, this is an attractive option for a daily driver.  

Hands down, this beats the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred, IMO, but as others pointed out it could be used in tandem with those cards for high grocery budget shoppers.   The Blue Cash Preferred's $95 AF and $6K cap make it more difficult to achieve best results and it never nets the full 6% on actual return.  This card is much more simple and rewarding.  It actually outearns the BCP on groceries and a modest amount of streaming services. 

I dislike the $500 per month cap as opposed to $1500 to $2000 to $2500 per quarter that you find on most other category cards (Discover IT, Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex, US Bank Cash+/Elan Max Cash Preferred, Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards, etc.)   But I understand the reasons behind it.  It keeps the highest rewards capped while encouraging cardholders to keep using the card every month.   And the categories they selected aren't things someone has on autopay (except for perhaps Fitness Clubs), so it encourages actual swiping of the card. 

I notice that travel is worded "select travel" so I wonder what will qualify as travel.  And $500 per month could be woefully inadequate to cover travel expenses on a once or twice a year trip like a two-week vacation.  (One way around the cap would be to prepay expenses, though, or make sure your trip will overlap between statement cycles.)

For gasoline, I currently get 4% back on my Citi-Costco Visa (up to $6K annually) plus normally 5% in rotating quarters on my Discover IT and Chase Freedom cards.  The flat 5% on this card could net me a slightly higher return ($300 versus $270 on the full $6K.)  However, it's a Mastercard which isn't accepted at Costco, and my cost-per-gallon at Costco would easily save me more than the extra $30.  And if gasoline at warehouse clubs codes the wrong MCC versus gas at Exxon or Shell,it would be a moot point. 

However, this is definitely a card worth serious consideration. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 66 of 550
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Like the card alot.  Tempting to PC my DC card to it if they allow it?  As Gosh knows have enough 2% cards.  Granted be giving up a 200 sign-up bonus, but can't apply for new cards till new house is done being built :/

Message 67 of 550
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Citi has a new product offering, the Custom Cash Card.

From the website:

Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter

5% eligible categories: Restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select travel, select transit, select streaming services, drugstores, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, live entertainment.²

Earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases

Citi Custom CashSM Card

Sign-up bonus info:

Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.²

This offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back.

Get 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After that, the variable APR will be 13.99% - 23.99%, based on your creditworthiness.* Balance Transfers must be completed within 4 months of account opening.

Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each credit card balance transfer, whichever is greater.*

Citi will only issue one Citi Custom Cash℠ Card account per person. You will qualify for the bonus offer only if you have not received a bonus offer for opening a new Citi Custom Cash℠ Card in the past 48 months.

Direct link:  https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-custom-cash-credit-card 

That is a fascinating card.

Ability to change every month too, obviously followed the BoA plan on that one. This IMO puts more pressure on BoA as they only offer 3% on first $2500 quarterly. I dont know who gets pressured more with this card Chase or BoA. I do agree its a fascinating card.

Message 68 of 550
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If only it could be Walmart card, I would grab it in a heartbeat. Likely will anyhow.

Message 69 of 550
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@VintageMel wrote:

As a sort of counterpoint to the idea that this card beats the AmEx BCP, as someone who blows through the $6,000 grocery cap on the BCP in about 6 months, I'm not even thinking about this in terms of competition.  I see this as a potential complement to the BCP that could really maximize my grocery earnings.  I may be a bit of an oddball though.

I was thinking about this during lunch (about an hour ago), but for people who strongly prefer no annual fee cards and spend a lot on groceries, someone could get BOTH the Citi Custom Cash and the Capital One SavorOne (3% rewards on groceries), using the Custom Cash for spending up to $500/month and the SavorOne for spending above that amount.  Users would get the added benefit of earning 3% on dining, entertainment, and streaming services via the SavorOne.

If someone also had 5% fixed rotator cards that sometimes offer groceries as a bonus category (i.e. Chase Freedom Flex and/or Discover Cash It), that person could use the Custom Cash for the first $500 in grocery spend per month, use the CFF and/or Discover It for spending above that up to $1500 in the bonus category quarter, and use the SavorOne (or Amex Blue Cash Everyday) for any additional grocery spending above the Custom Cash, CFF, and/or Discover It rewards limits in a given month or quarter.

Totally agree with this, you're speaking my language

Message 70 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.