Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash at Walmart?

tag
3bcswins3
New Contributor

Citi Custom Cash at Walmart?

This card is an interesting one. According to the commericals, I'd be able to use it exclusively at one place (i.e. Walmart) and get 5% back every time. Before I apply, I just want to make sure someone else has tried this and it was successful. I've had bad luck with MCC codes in the past with different credit card transactions and I want to make sure this is as simple as it sounds. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems. Thanks everybody!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Timbo9205
Established Member

Re: Citi Custom Cash at Walmart?

I am not an expert on the card, but I do have one that I use only for gas stations.  I am pretty sure that Walmarts are excluded for the grocery catagory.  This is from their T&C.

Grocery Stores

Includes purchases at supermarkets, meat/seafood stores, dairy stores, bakeries, and miscellaneous food/convenience stores. Excludes purchases at general merchandise/discount superstores; wholesale/warehouse clubs; candy, nut and confectionery stores. Purchases made at online supermarkets or with grocery delivery services also do not qualify if the merchant does not classify itself as a supermarket by using the supermarket merchant category code.

Message 2 of 5
3bcswins3
New Contributor

Of course, too good to be true. Thank you!

Message 3 of 5
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I tested my Custom Cash at Walmart when I got it pretty much knowing it wouldn't be 5%.  No luck, only 1% CB.

I have read of other members having luck with other cards at Walmart in certain parts of the country.

Maybe you live in one of those areas, who knows.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 5
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

As the largest B&M retailer in the USA, it's really bizarre how different Wal Mart store locations use different merchant codes. I'm not talking about Superstore to Neighborhood Market, I mean Superstore to Superstore!

FWIW, unless an offer specifically says it's good at Wal Mart, Target, etc., it's safe to assume it won't work 90% of the time.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.