Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash Card - 200 Cash Back Bonus

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash Card - 200 Cash Back Bonus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked via secured message and they told me to kick rocks. I paid in full and now I am not charging anything to the card. I know they won't care, but not running money through their account is the only way I can show my displeasure. I hope you find a way to get it added to your account, I had no such luck.

Thank you for that Smiley Happy I will be sure to keep you guys posted with this. I'm very determined but as you expressed, you seemed pretty determined too. It's really unfair for Citi to give the promotion to a select few - which we all have witnessed and reject others. This shows a weakness in their level of service and also shows the customer is not the priority. They shouldn't have an offer like this if they can't afford to treat all card members equally. Other credit card companies make their offers readily available and easy to add on if you missed out on it. I remember with my Chase Sapphire card I had the same problem happen and they simply added the offer with no need of proof / hassle what so ever. IMO, this is a bad way to start things off. 

Sorry, this just isn't true!   All the major issuers have targeted offers that go to a select few (that's what marketing does).   In most cases, if you don't have an invitation key, you are out of luck  (Just ask those trying for Amex Plat or PRG enhanced offers).    Where Citi went wrong here is giving it to any non-targeted people at all, but not sure you really want to push this point.  Some people got lucky when they "shouldn't" have, and that seems to have led to a false sense of entitlement.

Note this is different from the case where publically available offers change, e.g. Freedom going from $100 to $200.  There, Chase will honor the improved offer for a certain period, like 90 days.   This is good PR, people who applied "too early" don't get penalized.   The Citi DC offer never was public, so it is completely different.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked via secured message and they told me to kick rocks. I paid in full and now I am not charging anything to the card. I know they won't care, but not running money through their account is the only way I can show my displeasure. I hope you find a way to get it added to your account, I had no such luck.

Thank you for that Smiley Happy I will be sure to keep you guys posted with this. I'm very determined but as you expressed, you seemed pretty determined too. It's really unfair for Citi to give the promotion to a select few - which we all have witnessed and reject others. This shows a weakness in their level of service and also shows the customer is not the priority. They shouldn't have an offer like this if they can't afford to treat all card members equally. Other credit card companies make their offers readily available and easy to add on if you missed out on it. I remember with my Chase Sapphire card I had the same problem happen and they simply added the offer with no need of proof / hassle what so ever. IMO, this is a bad way to start things off. 

Sorry, this just isn't true!   All the major issuers have targeted offers that go to a select few (that's what marketing does).   In most cases, if you don't have an invitation key, you are out of luck  (Just ask those trying for Amex Plat or PRG enhanced offers).    Where Citi went wrong here is giving it to any non-targeted people at all, but not sure you really want to push this point.  Some people got lucky when they "shouldn't" have, and that seems to have led to a false sense of entitlement.

Note this is different from the case where publically available offers change, e.g. Freedom going from $100 to $200.  There, Chase will honor the improved offer for a certain period, like 90 days.   This is good PR, people who applied "too early" don't get penalized.   The Citi DC offer never was public, so it is completely different.

Yes, you do have a valid point. I think that's what happened to me and many others who applied thinking they can get the offer added to their account with the success stories others have shared. 

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They certainly won't care or note your displeasure!  Just make sure that you are not hurting yourself giving up rewards (i.e. I hope you are using other cards with equivalent rewards(

I am aware of them not caring or taking notice. The main reason I won't be using the card is due to the sub 5K starting limit I received on the card. If I can't push more volume through the card easily, the 2% will take ages to add up to anything substantial.

I also have numerous other spending bonus offers I am currently pushing purchases towards. Amex Business Gold Rewards 5K spend, Citi TY Premier 2K spend, Amex Everyday 1K, Chase Freedom .5K spend and I am running large purchases through my DIners Club as a little test. So currently rewards via normal purchase channels aren't worth it anyway. At the end of my first month on these new accounts, the aforementioned minimum spend bonuses will be hit, then I will possibly use the Double Cash for small purchases that aren't part of my better rewards categories on other cards.

Message 13 of 24
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I agree, this card was good before people even knew about the $200 bonus. 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: After trying to get this offer and taking it to the EO, I was denied! I highly suggest that you guys don't bother trying to get the 200 cashback offer. Complete waste of time and it seems like they are no longer making any allowances. 

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying darn hard to prove this wrong about Amex. Right now, I am trying to attain the 250 statement credit offer for the BCP, instead of the nonsense 100, and 1 year of prime. I'm a student, if I wanted prime I could get 1 1/2 of prime for 69.99. You get 6 months free, and then a discounted rate. I've battled it out to every international cite Amex employs their customer service reps. Their advice was to simply cancel my current card and reapply for the preselected offer. There idiots as that would simply get rid of any sign up bonus offer whatsoever due to the new Amex rule. I ended up getting transfered I believe to the U.K in the end where "the manager" after talking to me for 5 mins he told me he couldnt hear me and hung up. I heard him perfectly fine, there was no connection break up he was just being a you know what. Got a very sour experience from Amex here. Right now I have a pending inquiry, but I know Amex will end up telling me to kick rocks. I pity the customer service rep that gets on the phone with me to tell me the inquiry got denied. I was prescreened for it on their site, applied, and am stuck with this nonsense offer. I would rather have the 150.

The result, I seized my 200 dollar offer with Chase and will now funnel everything through there card. So for anyone fighting for a sign up bonus offer I feel your pain, but if the CC companies get the chance to stick it to the customer they will. Discover and Chase though not so much. Amex, supposedly has top notch customer service, and probably does for their million plus anual spenders. People in Bangladesh reading off a script, simply yelling "no" to me when I say Hello, does not qualify as a good customer service imo.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying darn hard to prove this wrong about Amex. Right now, I am trying to attain the 250 statement credit offer for the BCP, instead of the nonsense 100, and 1 year of prime. I'm a student, if I wanted prime I could get 1 1/2 of prime for 69.99. You get 6 months free, and then a discounted rate. I've battled it out to every international cite Amex employs their customer service reps. Their advice was to simply cancel my current card and reapply for the preselected offer. There idiots as that would simply get rid of any sign up bonus offer whatsoever due to the new Amex rule. I ended up getting transfered I believe to the U.K in the end where "the manager" after talking to me for 5 mins he told me he couldnt hear me and hung up. I heard him perfectly fine, there was no connection break up he was just being a you know what. Got a very sour experience from Amex here. Right now I have a pending inquiry, but I know Amex will end up telling me to kick rocks. I pity the customer service rep that gets on the phone with me to tell me the inquiry got denied. I was prescreened for it on their site, applied, and am stuck with this nonsense offer. I would rather have the 150.

The result, I seized my 200 dollar offer with Chase and will now funnel everything through there card. So for anyone fighting for a sign up bonus offer I feel your pain, but if the CC companies get the chance to stick it to the customer they will. Discover and Chase though not so much. Amex, supposedly has top notch customer service, and probably does for their million plus anual spenders. People in Bangladesh reading off a script, simply yelling "no" to me when I say Hello, does not qualify as a good customer service imo.

I agree 100% completely with you. I personally feel like if you have a new account and the offer exists, there should be no reason to not provide the offer. It's about building morale and a relationship with customers. A positive experience I've had with Capital One should be an example of how things should be handled. I had a journey card that I later coverted to a Quicksliver card and while converting I was also able to obtain the 100 sign up offer even if it didn't meet their certain protocol they still accommodated my request. I know view Capital One as a company that cares about their customers - others may argue this, but judging from my experience I'm happy with them. Citi on the other hand is very similar to how Amex is treating you. I just got a nasty message from them that was totally unnecessary, but hey what do they care? Like you said CC companies will exercise any chance they have to stick it to their customers. My advice to you is consider if it's a battle worth fighting for. After my constant attempts, I realized it's not worth the hassle and that it seemed pretty aimless as I was getting no where. I wish you a positive outcome and hope you get your offer. But if you don't it's not the end, and there are many other companies who will give you great offers and honor them. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving Smiley Happy Thanks for also sharing your experience, makes me feel i'm not alone with these miserable companies. 

Message 17 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree 100% completely with you. I personally feel like if you have a new account and the offer exists, there should be no reason to not provide the offer. It's about building morale and a relationship with customers. 

If what offer exists?   A targeted offer to a select group of customers?  In that case, to me, it makes no sense to say they should provide the offer, the point of targeted offers is to attract the target group by offering extra incentives, they really don't want to do the same with others.     Yes, good PR maybe, but potentially expensive, and if they don't value your account enough, why should they!

And while some issuers don't adopt this:  If I were an issuer, I would be somewhat less incliined to value an account where someone was making a lot of noise to get $100 extra.  If that $100 is so important, can I really be expecting a lot of revenue from that account going forward.   Sure, there are a lot of rich people who are very careful about getting the maximum, but I'm sure that is dwarfed by not-so-rich people going after the maximum!

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree 100% completely with you. I personally feel like if you have a new account and the offer exists, there should be no reason to not provide the offer. It's about building morale and a relationship with customers. 

If what offer exists?   A targeted offer to a select group of customers?  In that case, to me, it makes no sense to say they should provide the offer, the point of targeted offers is to attract the target group by offering extra incentives, they really don't want to do the same with others.     Yes, good PR maybe, but potentially expensive, and if they don't value your account enough, why should they!

And while some issuers don't adopt this:  If I were an issuer, I would be somewhat less incliined to value an account where someone was making a lot of noise to get $100 extra.  If that $100 is so important, can I really be expecting a lot of revenue from that account going forward.   Sure, there are a lot of rich people who are very careful about getting the maximum, but I'm sure that is dwarfed by not-so-rich people going after the maximum!

I was referencing the previous members' situation where he was solicitated for the offer and they still did not honor the offer. If the offer exists and he/she is eligable, why make it such a big deal? 

Message 19 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was referencing the previous members' situation where he was solicitated for the offer and they still did not honor the offer. If the offer exists and he/she is eligable, why make it such a big deal? 

OH, I agree in that case.   There are three situations usually reported here:

1) I applied for an offer and the issuer won't honor it, usually saying that their systems show that I applied for a different  offer.   Certainly worth pursuing with EOs etc.  Seems to be happening with a lot of issuers, maybe just bad IT.

2) I apply for a card and shortly after a better public offer comes out.   No obligation on issuers to be nice, but Chase, for example, has no problem giving the better offer.

3) I apply for a card and later become aware of a better non-public offer.    That is what I was mentioning above, but if it was really case 1, then yes, fight!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.