Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash closed

tag
Zeno
Contributor

Citi Double Cash closed

I am looking to see if closed account will have any impact negatively on credit. I have had the credit card for 3 years. I don't have any history of late payments on my credit report either.  My credit union did a merger with another one and the account number entered using the one i always used was not the same and the one i found online from the bank was not either. I turned autopay off once i realized the mistake and citi's system still attempted to charge again. It was returned as insufficient funds because that was no longer the same account information and the reason why autopay was turned off. My account was closed so i tried talking to the executive response unit explaining but the lady was saying that the change in account should not have caused a returned as insufficient funds. I tried calling back and one rep was looking over the account saying my account is in good standing with no late payments so he was trying to figure out as well for one payment and the payment was paid as well. The supervisor told me i can send documents to an address she gave me. Someone else also told me i can email the exective as well about the confusion.

Ex:717 EQ: 734 TU: 721
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash closed

it won't hurt, unless it causes aggregate utilization to rise. Hopefully a positive resolution. You'll maintain history up to 10 years.

Message 2 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Zeno wrote:

I am looking to see if closed account will have any impact negatively on credit. I have had the credit card for 3 years. I don't have any history of late payments on my credit report either.  My credit union did a merger with another one and the account number entered using the one i always used was not the same and the one i found online from the bank was not either. I turned autopay off once i realized the mistake and citi's system still attempted to charge again. It was returned as insufficient funds because that was no longer the same account information and the reason why autopay was turned off. My account was closed so i tried talking to the executive response unit explaining but the lady was saying that the change in account should not have caused a returned as insufficient funds. I tried calling back and one rep was looking over the account saying my account is in good standing with no late payments so he was trying to figure out as well for one payment and the payment was paid as well. The supervisor told me i can send documents to an address she gave me. Someone else also told me i can email the exective as well about the confusion.

Unfortunately almost all issuers react very swiftly to payments returned for insufficient funds, regardless of the innocence of the circumstances (easier just to have a blanket rule).   But hopefully you can get someone to listen, particularly if you are a valuable customer (not just a well-behaved one, but one who makes them money!)

Message 3 of 28
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Uggh sorry to hear this. This is why i absolutely despise Auto-pay. And Citi's IT is known to be buggy.

Message 4 of 28
Zeno
Contributor

When i made payment over the phone an employee asked me again if i wanted to enroll in autopay i quickly said no not going through that again.

Message 5 of 28
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@Zeno wrote:

When i made payment over the phone an employee asked me again if i wanted to enroll in autopay i quickly said no not going through that again.

I've had a similarly aggravating experience with Citi's autopay where I made a one time payment during the cycle for the full amount of statement balance, and at that time (not sure if it's still true), Citi somehow still triggered an auto-payment even though I already submitted the payment manually. There was a disclaimer about this "feature" that I overlooked. Anyway, that ended up making me drop below the daily minimum balance at my bank and they would not budge on the account service fee (yes i live on the edge Smiley Happy).  Canceled it after that. As long as you don't have too many cards, I don't find it a hassle to make 1 time payments.

As to whether it will affect your score, how old was the account?

Message 6 of 28
Zeno
Contributor

I was approved for the card in 2017 and recently closed couple days ago. My other cards are discover, walmart store and apple card. I usually made payments by phone and had no issues i should have kept it that way. I then started using their online pay from website or app. I found out by rep that when using the app it takes 5 days to process compared to 1-2 days paying by phone.

Message 7 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Uggh sorry to hear this. This is why i absolutely despise Auto-pay. And Citi's IT is known to be buggy.

Sorry to hear of the issues, @Zeno

Unfortunately, even "honest mistakes" can be used against us as consumers.  Smiley Sad 

I had a 30-day late for many years due to similar "honest misunderstanding."

I don't despise Auto-pay and I think it's a great tool!  However, I only have it set for a "backup" on most of my accounts.  I usually make at least one manual payment before the due date.  Most of my lenders only charge the auto-pay minimum payment if I haven't made a payment by then.  (There are a few that have charged me the minimum even after I paid manually, but that is the exception.)

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Sorry to hear of the issues, @Zeno

Unfortunately, even "honest mistakes" can be used against us as consumers.  Smiley Sad 

I had a 30-day late for many years due to similar "honest misunderstanding."

I don't despise Auto-pay and I think it's a great tool!  However, I only have it set for a "backup" on most of my accounts.  I usually make at least one manual payment before the due date.  Most of my lenders only charge the auto-pay minimum payment if I haven't made a payment by then.  (There are a few that have charged me the minimum even after I paid manually, but that is the exception.)

@Aim_High, I pretty much do the same thing .. have auto-pay set up and then manually pay.

Sometimes I am left with a credit. Some people use push payments.

Use US Bank with (2) forms of overdraft protection. (would hate to have a returned payment)

I have most set that the due dates are between the 24th-28th and just go through all of them.

Message 9 of 28
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I hate autopay and refuse to use it for any credit card payments.  OP's story is one of the reasons why.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.