Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi PC offer + consequences

tag
User1123932
Established Member

Citi PC offer + consequences

In an odd coincidence, just as I was exploring possible Citi PC options in another thread (no need to get into the weeds here), I logged into my Citi account to check a card balance on another device (no shared cookies), and then Citi presented me with a pop-up offer to do one of the PCs that I was already considering. I saved the offer code for later, because I still need to clarify the offer language with Citi.

The offer was simply to PC to Rewards+. OK, I'd like that, but... I presently have three different cards managed in my Citi cards portal, while the PC offer failed to specify which existing card would be changed. I would only consider changing one of those cards of my choosing, while I need the other two to remain as they are.

This type of confusing offer seems par for the course with Citi. Maybe I can turn it to my advantage?

Questions:

(1) Because Citi presented an offer code, is there supposed to be an incentive with this, maybe a bonus of some kind? (1a) Would I need to PC from a specific card to redeem the offer and any bonus? I don't see any language specifying any of this anywhere. I'm hesitant to plow forward blindly.

(2) When doing any PC with Citi, does that result in any HP? (2a) If so, with which bureau? My last two new Citi applications were with Experian. Same with two other cards in the last 12 months. I see around here that Citi does pull other bureaus. I'm not sure if it's at random, or if it's different bureaus for different reasons (e.g., PC versus new app).

(3) When doing any PC with Citi, does the PC itself trigger any rules that prevent other PCs or block any new applications for Citi cards that I do not already have? E.g., 1/8 rule, 2/65 rule? Or does a PC not count toward such rules? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here, as I was also considering another new application (CCC) soon. I was assuming I should do the new app first, as long as the PC offer doesn't expire (if there's any bonus or benefit at all to the offer code). Otherwise, I'm OK just to delay the PC, unless the PC timing really doesn't matter one way or another.

In any event, it seems I'll have to reach out to Citi customer service at some point soon. I've had to do that a lot this year for other reasons, mainly their IT issues, which seem mostly better than before.

Going in armed with extra knowledge of their hidden PC/app rules couldn't hurt. Thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi PC offer + consequences

1) The only way to know is to ask them. My advice would be to not focus solely on the offer code. Just call and ask to PC your chosen card to Rewards+. If they say you are eligible, you can ask if there's a bonus, but those are pretty rare at Citi. When they are offering a bonus, they tend to make it pretty obvious in the marketing materials. 

2) No. They don't ever do an HP for a PC. I have done several PCs with them, always with all reports frozen. No issue. 

3) No. Other than the waiting period for the PC itself to become final (90 days, if I recall), there are no timelines that get altered by a PC. I once PC'ed into and out of Rewards+ within just a few months. No issue. 

In sum, they treat PCs like you are changing rewards programs, not opening a new tradeline. 

Message 2 of 14
User1123932
Established Member

Awesome, @Curious_George2, that should work for me and gives me some hope.

I'll follow up here if I encounter any unexpected problems. Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
vinathi
Valued Member

Hello,

Can you please let me know which credit bureau Citi uses for pre-qualification? I am thinking about applying for citi costco. Here is my info:

1 enq in past 3 months. Total 10 in the year so far.

Credit scores: ~750 all bureaus.

Utilization: Less than 2%, except on card where I am an authorized user is 75%.

Last opened account: 6 months back.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Message 4 of 14
RedKaos

I think it depends on your state. Citi always pulled equifax for me, but I know they also pull experian as well.

https://www.mybanktracker.com/credit-cards/credit-score/credit-report-citi-pull-273676

Message 5 of 14
User1123932
Established Member

I'll add another DP now. The first PC went off seamlessly as expected, and then I also applied for a new CCC. That HP hit my Equifax this time instead of Experian. Fortunately, that means my HPs are well balanced across the bureaus and not looking suspicious, in case I get lured out of the garden sooner than expected. I'll try later to see if a Citi retail card not on Citi's PC-eligible list could nonetheless PC into a second CCC.

Also, that Bank Tracker link is interesting. The methodology makes it look more descriptive than prescriptive. A lot of those bureau-by-state listings seem to be based on only a small number of DPs for each state (and they don't match with my experience for the various states I've lived in while opening new Citi cards). There may be certain states where certain bureaus don't get Citi HPs, but it's hard to know exactly what to expect based on this. Still, more data and rules could make that into a useful resource. 👍

Message 6 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@User1123932 wrote:

I'll try later to see if a Citi retail card not on Citi's PC-eligible list could nonetheless PC into a second CCC.

That would be an interesting data point, but given that the retail cards are managed by a different business unit (Citi Retail Services) I wouldn't normally expect many opportunities to exist.  

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 14
User1123932
Established Member

@coldfusion wrote:

@User1123932 wrote:

I'll try later to see if a Citi retail card not on Citi's PC-eligible list could nonetheless PC into a second CCC.

That would be an interesting data point, but given that the retail cards are managed by a different business unit (Citi Retail Services) I wouldn't normally expect many opportunities to exist.  

Indeed, I don't have high hopes for that one in particular, especially given Citi's published list, but maybe it's still worth asking as a long shot. The list does suggest some flexibility with some of the co-branded retail cards. Another community member has suggested the same:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Optimizing-Citi-portfolio-new-card-apps-PC-total-credi...

I forget exactly whether I opened it with GE or with Citi, as it was right around the time of that handoff. What's certain is that it's with Citi now. I'd estimate a 98% chance of getting a hard "no" on a rewarding PC at this point, but if I can spare the time to call the phone number on that card to ask about PC options, I'm curious to see what shakes out. It served me well for 10+ years, but I see pratically no benefit going forward, other than raising AAoA and total credit for the time being.

Message 8 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

A product change is something that If you don't ask you don't get, and you really have nothing to lose other than the time spent making the phone call.  You may just as well call and ask when you have both the time and the motivation.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 14
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I'd like to add one data point here as product changes can have negative consequences for SUBs. I PC'd an AA Platinum to a Rewards+ right before apping for a Premier and was denied the SUB on the Premier. Based on the language I thought I was good but according to multiple data points that were floating around and I hadn't dug hard enough for, I was in fact ineligible.

I called to recon for the SUB multiple times and was finally offered 5k TYPs as a consolation. Those never showed in my account and I didn't have the energy left to call back again.

Not sure if this affects the Custom Cash since it's technically a cashback card but I imagine others have data points.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.