Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi custom cash benefits

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Citi custom cash benefits

Thinking of applying for the citi custom cash since dining is one of its categories and I always spend more than $500 per month on it so I'm sure to max this card's 5% cap and then use the chase freedom unlimited to get 3% back on dining more than that amount. Some questions I had about the custom cash:

Does it include cell phone insurance? On the citi site it seemed to indicate that it does.

Does the dining category include food delivery places like Uber eats, grub hub, and door dash?

Is there a minimum redemption threshold like the DC where you have to have $25 in rewards to redeem?

If I do a statement credit do I get the full 5% value?

Using this card for the first $500 in dining per month will get me an extra $120 per year in cash back compared to if I used the freedom unlimited for all dining so debating if a new account is worth the extra $10 per month in cash back?

For inquiries I am 0/6  6/12 12/24. For new accounts I am 8/24 6/12  0/6.

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi custom cash benefits

@rgd51 wrote:

Does it include cell phone insurance? On the citi site it seemed to indicate that it does.

Where does it say that?   Would be unusual now for Citi cards!   I see

• What are some other benefits of the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card?
    In addition to never having to sign up for rotating bonus categories, Citi Custom Cash℠ Card offers other benefits such as:
    • Add Authorized Users at no cost and earn points on purchases they make.
    • Enjoy your contactless-chip enabled card and make everyday purchases quickly and safely.

Which appears to me to be issuer speak for "no other meaningful benefits!"

Message 2 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

Where does it say that?   Would be unusual now for Citi cards!   I see

• What are some other benefits of the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card?
    In addition to never having to sign up for rotating bonus categories, Citi Custom Cash℠ Card offers other benefits such as:
    • Add Authorized Users at no cost and earn points on purchases they make.
    • Enjoy your contactless-chip enabled card and make everyday purchases quickly and safely.

Which appears to me to be issuer speak for "no other meaningful benefits!"

https://www.johnnyjet.com/citi-custom-cash-card-review/?amp=1

In that article is lists cell phone protection for up to $1,000 yearly. I also just found the terms and conditions on their site and the 5% on restaurants excludes delivery services so it has to be at the physical restaurant. Most my dining I get from door dash since I have dash pass which means I don't have the delivery fee so when I order food and pay tax and the tip it's very equivalent to what it would cost me in gas to go and physically eat at that restaurant. The freedom unlimited counts food delivery services in its 3% on dining category.

Message 3 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

In that article is lists cell phone protection for up to $1,000 yearly. 

OK, that is not the Citi site and appears to make the (false) conclusion that the card must have all the WEMC benefits.   Which we know many Citi cards do not.

Message 4 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

OK, that is not the Citi site and appears to make the (false) conclusion that the card must have all the WEMC benefits.   Which we know many Citi cards do not.

That is the only place I have seen that benefit mentioned for this card. I'm noticing citi cards that are WEMC have almost no benefits or perks at all. Why wouldn't citi want to include that benefit? There are also lots of exclusions in the restaurant category since I can't have food delivered and have to be inside the physical restaurant. Then again it isn't hard at all to rack up $500 in dining charges in a month.

Message 5 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rgd51 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

That is the only place I have seen that benefit mentioned for this card. I'm noticing citi cards that are WEMC have almost no benefits or perks at all. Why wouldn't citi want to include that benefit? There are also lots of exclusions in the restaurant category since I can't have food delivered and have to be inside the physical restaurant. Then again it isn't hard at all to rack up $500 in dining charges in a month.

Presumably cutting these benefits saves them money. Even if the benefits are normally standard, there's likely some associated charge for them or banks wouldn't want to remove them. 

Message 6 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Yeah my chase freedom unlimited still has tons of benefits though especially for a no AF card. I heard cap one is slashing benefits on their cards as well. Seems that the trend these days is to slash benefits but increase cash back percentages. Makes sense because to afford the cash back they have to cut somewhere else.

I wonder if I'd get denied for the custom cash due to my number of inquires? I was denied for the double cash for that same reason.

Message 7 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you got denied for DC because of inquiries, I would expect the same from Custom Cash. 

Message 8 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

My denial for the DC was in November and I was 6/6 on inquiries if I remember right since I had an app spree after I got my mortgage. Now I'm 0/6 but also 6/12 and 12/24 on experian for inquiries. 

Message 9 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rgd51 wrote:

My denial for the DC was in November and I was 6/6 on inquiries if I remember right since I had an app spree after I got my mortgage. Now I'm 0/6 but also 6/12 and 12/24 on experian for inquiries. 

0/6 is generally considered fine for Citi. As always though, YMMV.

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.