Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi custom cash benefits

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi custom cash benefits

Then I probably should consider this card. Is it usually worth getting another card to get an extra $120 in cash back per year compared to if I put all dining spend on the Freedom Unlimited? Think chase would take AA against me if I get approved for the custom cash?

Message 11 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rgd51 wrote:

Then I probably should consider this card. Is it usually worth getting another card to get an extra $120 in cash back per year compared to if I put all dining spend on the Freedom Unlimited? Think chase would take AA against me if I get approved for the custom cash?

I mean I went for the card when it will only net me an additional ~$40 a year on grocery spend so I'm probably the wrong person to ask lol.

As for Chase, they don't like sprees but a single card isn't really a big deal as long as your profile can support it. Honestly considering how popular Chase is, we don't hear about AA anywhere near as frequently as we would if they were really AA-happy. 

Message 12 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I do put regular usage on my freedom unlimited as it is my daily driver. I'm over a year away from being under 5/24 again. No other chase cards that I want at the moment but they could totally come out with something new by then. Last time I opened a new account was over 6 months ago so hopefully that wouldn't be too much for chase? My fico 9 is 781 and my fico 8 is 759. Custom cash would be an easy $200 SUB and $120 per year in cash back. That card would be twice as lucrative to me as getting the double cash to get 2% on everything else compared to the 1.5% with the FU. I do fear that chase would be upset if I got another card but I might be worrying over nothing. I just have churned quite a bit of cards 6-12 months ago and I've been in the garden since.

Message 13 of 55
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I think six months since getting your Chase card (with no other new cards since) is safe enough. Just do the one and be done for another 6+ months. 

Message 14 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I got the chase card 8 months ago and since then I opened and closed 2 cards for SUBS but those were in November and December.

Message 15 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll be fine with Chase I would imagine. 

Message 16 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I guess I'm hesitant due to my denial for the double cash back in November. The custom cash at best would get me an extra $120 per year on dining in addition to the SUB.

Message 17 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been a number of denials, some that seem to be pretty surprising, but HPs are free (even a score ding isn't much for inquiries, I've taken 0 points for 5 on EX in the last two months, 1 on TU for 2 in the last two months, and 3 on EQ for 1 in the last two months) and they're also unlimited. If you want the card, go for it.

Message 18 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

But won't chase be notified once I get an HP? This card would be more more lucrative to me than if I get a 2% card or one with rotating 5% categories. 

Message 19 of 55
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

But won't chase be notified once I get an HP? This card would be more more lucrative to me than if I get a 2% card or one with rotating 5% categories. 

Chase doesn't get notified when someone else makes an inquiry, they would learn about it when they did a routine account-review soft pull, and even then only if they pulled from the same CRA as the Citi inquiry.  If approved they would learn about the new account the same way, although there would be no hiding that as Citi reports to all 3 major CRAs.

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.