Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi custom cash benefits

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi custom cash benefits

@Citylights18 wrote:

Some are using credit cards as their "emergency savings" in case they get laid off from a job.

That one is true! I know lots of people like that where they buy everything with a debit card and just make a couple purchases on credit cards here and there to keep them open.

Message 41 of 55
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

Think Amex will increase it to 2% to compete with WF and citi?

I doubt if they see a need.   My guess is most people in the wider world aren't that sensitive to % cashback (it's just a card!)   And even here, I am often surprised that people select cards with suboptimal rewards for various reasons.    The Cash Magnet was quite popular here, despite 1.5% being so 1990s, with approving comments like "It's so pretty".    Yes, well so is a seven-day old decomposing rat corpse (to me anyway) but I don't carry one around in my wallet (not everyday anyway)

SUB's are a big draw. My brother has 6 credit cards and they are all airlines which he got because of the SUBs.

SUB's jump start you into the reward game but at a certain level you're collecting more points than what you could possibly spend. I feel like you might want to run up you're point totals to 100,000 before tapping into them just to have a strategic reserve in case you have to take a flight for a funeral or something. But after that its time to start thinking about tapping out on those points.

Hyatt though can be deadly because they often will give you an additional 3x if you pay for the rooms and you get 9x already with the credit card. For stays under $150 a night it makes more sense often to buy the nights over reedeming at less than 2.0 ccp. I was able to squeeze about 5.0 ccp out of them at a Hyatt Residence Club. I think also if you are talking about a lot of nights, something that will run you greater than $500 dollars it becomes more attractive to use points than to earn.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 42 of 55
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

Yeah I read the average American has 3 credit cards which is far less than people on this site. I would assume maybe a card from their bank or CU, a retail card, and 1 other card.

Three cards has ALWAYS been my limit since starting my rebuild back in Aug of 2019.  I currently have the BCE, Freedom Flex and Custom Cash (which replaced my Quicksilver), and I'm currently suffering from "buyers remorse" as it pertains to the latter.Smiley Sad

Message 43 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

Yeah I read the average American has 3 credit cards which is far less than people on this site. I would assume maybe a card from their bank or CU, a retail card, and 1 other card.

Three cards has ALWAYS been my limit since starting my rebuild back in Aug of 2019.  I currently have the BCE, Freedom Flex and Custom Cash (which replaced my Quicksilver), and I'm currently suffering from "buyers remorse" as it pertains to the latter.Smiley Sad

You're having buyer's remorse for the custom cash? 3 cards is now my self imposed limit as well, maybe 4.

Message 44 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

What category are you using Custom Cash for?   If I had that set I would have replaced BCE rather than QS...

Message 45 of 55
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

I'd gladly trade you a Quicksilver for it! 😂😂

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $608,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 5/31/24- $21,590.43
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 46 of 55
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

You're having buyer's remorse for the custom cash? 3 cards is now my self imposed limit as well, maybe 4.

Yeah. I made the mistake of getting caught up in a new credit card hitting the market; but now that I have it, I honestly wish I had just left well enough alone.  From my perspective, having three cards suits me just fine; and because the ones I had prior to getting the Custom Cash all served a purpose, I honestly didn't NEED it.

Message 47 of 55
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

What category are you using Custom Cash for?   If I had that set I would have replaced BCE rather than QS...

I will NEVER replace my BCE!Smiley Very Happy

But to answer your question: I mainly got the Custom Cash to cover quarters where I don't get any use out of my Freedom Flex. I also spend a ridiculous amount of money at Wally World on a monthly basis.

Message 48 of 55
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

Yeah. I made the mistake of getting caught up in a new credit card hitting the market; but now that I have it, I honestly wish I had just left well enough alone.  From my perspective, having three cards suits me just fine; and because the ones I had prior to getting the Custom Cash all served a purpose, I honestly didn't NEED it.

But isn't it super easy to max out a custom cash category like dining or groceries every month? 

Message 49 of 55
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

But isn't it super easy to max out a custom cash category like dining or groceries every month? 

For some, yes; but since I live alone, I more than likely won't. The only way I can see me hitting the max of $500 is when shopping at Walmart, which, depending on the location I go to, will be coded as "groceries".

Message 50 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.