Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi identity verification using CC#?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi identity verification using CC#?

When I logged on using citi mobile app, It showed a message saying there was unusual activity on my account and to call immediately.
I pressed the call button and got connected. Rep needed to verify my identity using my phone #, but I've recently got a new # and he could not verify me. So he proceeded to ask for my CC# from other bank to verify my identity. Is this normal? He did not ask for exp# or 3 digit code.
(Side note: earlier I was booking a flight in Europe and my citi card did not go through or declined, so I used another CC from different bank and got my flight ticket)
After min or so, he was able to verify my identity and explained if I tried to process this purchase (through some small European airline) which I did, and said it was from out of country reason being why my CC did not go through, which is understandable. But I am so confused as why he needed my CC# from other bank. Is this possible to identify me with?
Looked up the # and it does show as citi, but some are saying its scam so it's kind of throwing me off.
Just want someone to confirm that this is one way to identify me from citi bank and not some scam.

Thank you in advance.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi identity verification using CC#?

How in hell would they know your cc# from a different bank??

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for lack of information I provided. They asked for my CC# from other bank and I provided the number. I asked why he needed it and said he was gonna call them to verify my identity.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry for lack of information I provided. They asked for my CC# from other bank and I provided the number. I asked why he needed it and said he was gonna call them to verify my identity.

I don't have a citi card but honestly that sounds weird. I've never heard of that. Why couldn't they send you something to verify by email?

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did ask him the same question and if he can verify my identity w security questions or last 4 digits of my SS#. He then said no.
At this point I'm really confused as after he was able to verify me, he did mention the name of Airline which I tried to use my CC w and the amount and that it was not processed. (Something about how vendor was from other country and such)
Message 5 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I wouldnt be giving anybody any of my CC or any other financial information over the phone. What do you mean by, “I pressed the call button?” Do you mean on the website? Next time, just hang up and call related CCC from the number on the back of the card to verify. Matter-of-the-fact, instead of asking us here in the forum, you should call both Citi and the CC you provided info on to ensure these two accounts have not been compromised.

Keep us posted.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you log in on mobile app, message comes up saying there is unusual activity on my account and gives me two options. Call or something along the line of call later. And i pressed call button.
Gonna call both places to ensure that this was all legit.
Message 7 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I agree with others you need to call Citi with at the number on the back of your card.

This sounds very very fishy, I have never heard of a creditor asking for another credit card number and then "going to call and verify"

Please call and see what is going on this has wrong written all over it.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with the above. You’ve been phished. If it were legitimately Citi, the rep could not call the other card issuer and get them to confirm your CC number. They’d tell him to pound sand and hang up. Call that other bank NOW and tell them what happened, and get a new card issued. If you have an app for that bank, and can do so, go in immediately and lock/deactivate the card. And definitely call Citi - if that WAS them, have the transcript of the call pulled and reviewed by a supervisor - no way in hell they have the right or would be asking something like that.
Message 9 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Unless your phone is compromised, it's possible to ask for info on other cards.
Basically, if they think your Citi card is compromised, it makes no sense to ask for those digits, because thief would obviously have them.

So, next best thing is to ask for info on your other accounts. Ever looked at your CR? At least first six digits are visible, with rest redacted for security, but viewable otherwise. Exp date and CIN are not, so they cannot confirm or deny.
Had they asked you for those two, that's when you should worry.
If you think other lenders cannot see entire account number...yeah, they can.

Now, if it's going to make you feel better, call CSR number from back of your card, ask for fraud department and verify it was them. 99% it was.

Now, if you got an email with number you dont recognize, links to log in to shady accounts, anything asking you to enter existing password, I could see why you'd be concerned.
Call them because it will give you piece of mind, but you're fine if you called from the app.
Relax, a few deep breaths cannot hurt.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.