Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Cards

tag
startnow
Established Member

Citibank Cards

My dad has great credit but I don't know his score.  He's always had two Citibank cards since at least 1986.  I visited him a couple of weeks ago and he wanted me to check out his points because they kept sending him mailings about using his points.  I will say that my dad isn't very savvy with all of this points stuff. He just use his card and pay it off.  Anyway, in trying to help him I noticed that Citibank at some point PC'd his cards into Thank You cards.  From what I can tell they're both just regular Thank You cards.  I thought it didn't make sense to have two of the same type of cards so I want to help him PC to something more beneficial for him.  The reality is him having to keep up with points and opting in on things is not good since he's not that savvy with it.  Any suggestion on what he should PC to?  I'm thinking something that offers cash back might be better but I'm not familiar with Citibank cards. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Citibank Cards

Are you sure they are identical? If they are the same card type indeed, and since your dad is already enrolled in the Thank You Program, maybe consider switching one of the cards to a different Thank You product to take escalate earning power. If your dad doesn't spend much through credit cards, perhaps a non-annual fee card would make the most sense.

Message 2 of 8
startnow
Established Member

From what I can tell they are...there's no extra wording on them.  I may have to three-way call with him tomorrow to make sure.  Would he still have to keep up with points?  He's just not that good with that.  I think he uses his cards enough..maybe not daily but at least monthly.

@HiLine wrote:

Are you sure they are identical? If they are the same card type indeed, and since your dad is already enrolled in the Thank You Program, maybe consider switching one of the cards to a different Thank You product to take escalate earning power. If your dad doesn't spend much through credit cards, perhaps a non-annual fee card would make the most sense.

Message 3 of 8
Yoshimune

Definitely the Forward. Five points per dollar at restaurants.

Edit: I realize that this is still a points setup, but it's the best overall option in my opinion.

EQ 772 (5/2013) - CS 794 (6/2013) - CK 774 (7/2013)
Message 4 of 8
startnow
Established Member

@Yoshimune wrote:

Edit: I realize that this is still a points setup, but it's the best overall option in my opinion.

Thank you! 

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Yoshimune wrote:

Except the Forward is no longer available to non-students!

Also, TY points earned with the forward are worth less (for most redemptions) than TY points earned with the Thank You Preferred.   I don't know which kind of points the plain Thank You card offers.  If they are the lower value ones, try changing one to the Thank You Preferred, then all thank you points can be redeemed at the better rate.  The TY Preferred has no annual fee.

Message 6 of 8
Yoshimune

Hmm. We ususally do 10,000 point redemptions for $100 gift certificates with the Forward. Are there better rates than that?

I didn't know that it's not available anymore--thank you for letting me know.

EQ 772 (5/2013) - CS 794 (6/2013) - CK 774 (7/2013)
Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Yoshimune wrote:

Hmm. We ususally do 10,000 point redemptions for $100 gift certificates with the Forward. Are there better rates than that?

I didn't know that it's not available anymore--thank you for letting me know.

The $100 gift certificates, and student loan/mortgage checks are 1:1 with the forward.  Lower price gift certificates give less than 1:1, but with preferred they are all 1:1.  So you are getting the best value, but have to wait till you have 10K.

If you have the Premier, all TY points can be redeemed at 1.33 cents per point for travel.

The Forward disappeared for non students earlier this year.   For now, it is great value, but there are suspicions that the card will be converted at some stage to a Thank You card (with a downgrade in rewards).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.