Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank verification process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank verification process

Hello FICO friends!

Tried to log into my Citi mobile banking app and was immediately hit with a notice to call Citi due to fraud on the account. This is for my double cash card. This happened last year as well when I received my Gold AA card. (The fraud is Uber... apparently using Uber frequently flags in their system. I live in Chicago and don’t own a car anymore, so Uber it is when I don’t feel like public transit!) Anyways, so I am connected with an over-seas call center, and they can’t verify my cell phone. They then ask for the credit card number of a card from a different bank, but in my name. They want the full number and expiration. Uhm... is that normal? Everywhere else asks for my address, DOB, and SS number.

I’m new to the world of responsible credit use, but I know for a fact capital one, US Bank, and my local credit union have never used that as a means to verify my identity. So maybe I’m just too new, but if you have had this happen before I’m curious to hear that I’m not alone haha.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank verification process

I don't see how Citi would know that information, nor why they would ask you for it.  Sounds fishy.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you are calling Citi's number and if so try again and see if they ask for the same info. You can also try their online chat.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Hello FICO friends!

Tried to log into my Citi mobile banking app and was immediately hit with a notice to call Citi due to fraud on the account. This is for my double cash card. This happened last year as well when I received my Gold AA card. (The fraud is Uber... apparently using Uber frequently flags in their system. I live in Chicago and don’t own a car anymore, so Uber it is when I don’t feel like public transit!) Anyways, so I am connected with an over-seas call center, and they can’t verify my cell phone. They then ask for the credit card number of a card from a different bank, but in my name. They want the full number and expiration. Uhm... is that normal? Everywhere else asks for my address, DOB, and SS number.

I’m new to the world of responsible credit use, but I know for a fact capital one, US Bank, and my local credit union have never used that as a means to verify my identity. So maybe I’m just too new, but if you have had this happen before I’m curious to hear that I’m not alone haha.

As I've stated many times on this board, Citi is generally, to put it nicely, the bank that has the lowest IQ - that is if we were measuring by the amount of brains the upper management personnel have. It doesn't shock me that their fraud systems are inconsistent and randomly ask for additional verification, and that they can't use your actual cell phone number as identity verification. 

Message 4 of 8
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Citi has access to your credit reports.

They can verify your identity through a different card number at a different bank because that information is contained on your credit report.

The IRS also does this for verification purposes.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Don't feel bad...  When my Mom applied, they tried to verify her phone number using the automatic system, but couldn't for whatever reason.  We meant to call in the next day for ID verification, but Life happend and we didn't get to it for three days...  By that time, she had already gotten an email that said your information has been verified and your new card is on its way.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 6 of 8
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Hello FICO friends!

I recently got a Citi DC and created an online account as soon as I recieved the card in the mail.   There was a message telling me that the card had potential fraudulent use on it.  

I called immediately and was asked to verify in the same way as you.   When I asked about the fraud message I was told they do that on new accounts when they want additional verification.   When I had applied for the card I got the 7-10 message and when I called recon they did some verification at that point.   I tend to go through alot of id verificaitons since I have the same name as my Dad and my Son. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 7 of 8
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@MakingProgresswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
Hello FICO friends!

I recently got a Citi DC and created an online account as soon as I recieved the card in the mail.   There was a message telling me that the card had potential fraudulent use on it.  

I called immediately and was asked to verify in the same way as you.   When I asked about the fraud message I was told they do that on new accounts when they want additional verification.   When I had applied for the card I got the 7-10 message and when I called recon they did some verification at that point.   I tend to go through alot of id verificaitons since I have the same name as my Dad and my Son.  you and me both! Gonna have this issue my entire life!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.