Citizen Bank MC 5% unlimited through march 2020

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citizen Bank MC 5% unlimited through march 2020

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I know some very big spenders who are getting this card, citizens is in for a huge surprise. The guy drops 100K+ everyday on his card and it’s all legitimate business spend. No BS on that either.

Citizens will learn its lesson just like CNB did.

That May 2020 posting date for the other 3.2% is likely so they can audit cardholders with large repeated purchase history.

This is why we can't have nice things. 

I bet they are going to shut down a lot of accounts, give low limits, delay posting payments, shut down customers using it for business, etc., to keep the MS under control. 

Using personal for business spend isnt MS

There is always someone out there that will take it to the limit. Not that they are breaking any rules spending 10s of thousands of dollars on the card daily, but it might have been better for Citizens to put a 25K cap on 5% rewards, rather than having it unlimited.

You can get yourself into a lawsuit for shutting down an account when the cardholder is playing by the rules and you as a bank didn't think the promotion through. 

Citizens isn't a big player in the CC market, and therefore hasn't run into scenarios that can cost them tons of money. 

Message 11 of 32
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Since every T&C gives a bank the right to close your account at any time the threat of a lawsuit is absurd
Message 12 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
Since every T&C gives a bank the right to close your account at any time the threat of a lawsuit is absurd

No, the lawsuits happen when you have spent money (in these cases a lot) and the issuer closes your card and forces you to forfeit the rewards.   Some big issuers have backed down in this sort of situation, where they have failed to provide adequate T&Cs to disallow the rewards on those kinds of purchases.

Message 13 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citizens isn't a big player in the CC market, and therefore hasn't run into scenarios that can cost them tons of money. 

As mentioned in the DoC thread, they have done similar things in the past, and managed with a number of slow-pay techniqes (e.g. from that thread:  Many years ago I had a Citizens credit card. At the time it was a targeted 10% cash back offer. There was no limit to the cash back you could earn, but there was a limit of about $300 cash back per month that you could receive. So if you go really crazy with the earnings during the promotional period, it may take you several months afterwards to collect all the money.

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I know some very big spenders who are getting this card, citizens is in for a huge surprise. The guy drops 100K+ everyday on his card and it’s all legitimate business spend. No BS on that either.

That May 2020 posting date for the other 3.2% is likely so they can audit cardholders with large repeated purchase history.

I bet they are going to shut down a lot of accounts, give low limits, delay posting payments, shut down customers using it for business, etc., to keep the MS under control. 

No it's not directly MS but throwing tens of thousands on a credit card to suck down rewards is treated like it, especially when you have to cycle the card to do it. Citizens isn't known for high credit limits so cycling will absolutely have to be a thing. 

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

No it's not directly MS but throwing tens of thousands on a credit card to suck down rewards is treated like it, especially when you have to cycle the card to do it. Citizens isn't known for high credit limits so cycling will absolutely have to be a thing. 

This. 
He spends $36.5MM on a card per year and he's chasing a card from a regional bank that will give him, probably, one of his lowest limits and be entirely unusable to him. Makes sense. 

Message 16 of 32
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Highest limit on card is 25k.  Back before i had business cards and when traveling i put alot of company expenses on personal card no where to the level mentioned in this thread, but airline tickets, hotels, etc.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Highest limit on card is 25k.  Back before i had business cards and when traveling i put alot of company expenses on personal card no where to the level mentioned in this thread, but airline tickets, hotels, etc.

Its conceivable, with a 25K line, and without idle days, to squeeze out 1.2M spend in 5 months.  Assuming you can make 10 payments a month.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

That's totally normal and expected spend. I am talking about people who have to cycle their limits. There is no doubt in my mind that Citizens will be issuing limits fully expecting that they will be maxed out monthly - so if a $25K limit is given, they can expect to pay $25K worth of rewards. It's people who go beyond that which start to become a problem. 

I bet we will see lots of $10K and under limits though so they're not having to pay $1,250 a month in rewards on a $25K card. 

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

That's totally normal and expected spend. I am talking about people who have to cycle their limits. There is no doubt in my mind that Citizens will be issuing limits fully expecting that they will be maxed out monthly - so if a $25K limit is given, they can expect to pay $25K worth of rewards. It's people who go beyond that which start to become a problem. 

I bet we will see lots of $10K and under limits though so they're not having to pay $1,250 a month in rewards on a $25K card. 

I think if they found too many were mega spenders,  they would alter the offer for new applicants,  say 5% rewards up to $700 bonus earned, etc.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.