Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close 3 cards and replace one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close 3 cards and replace one

I am thinking about closing my Delta Gold, Home Depot Store Card and Personal Amex Gold. I also want to replace the Citi with a Chase Freedom Card. When should I app for that?

Personal Cards -

Discover CL $4000

Amex Starwood CL $4000

Citi Diamond CL $7500

Credit Union Card CL $2000

Amex Gold

Delta Gold CL $2000

Home Deot CL $2500

Business Cards -

AMEX Plum 50k spending cap

AMEX Platinum 50k spending cap

Chase Ink CL $

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close 3 cards and replace one

@Anonymous wrote:

I am thinking about closing my Delta Gold, Home Depot Store Card and Personal Amex Gold. I also want to replace the Citi with a Chase Freedom Card. When should I app for that?

Personal Cards -

Discover CL $4000

Amex Starwood CL $4000

Citi Diamond CL $7500

Amex Gold

Delta Gold CL $2000

Home Deot CL $2500

Business Cards -

Chase Ink CL $

Why do you want to close the HD CL? It's gonna dent your credit score if you close all three...

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to stream line my life and just have a few quality cards. 

Whats wrong with my CC list looking like this  -

Personal Cards

Discover

Chase Freedom (or other)

Amex Starwood

Business

AMEX Plum 

AMEX Platinum

Chase Ink Cash

Message 3 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

Nothing wrong with it at all.  I only have 5 active cards and even this seems excessive (but I don't have the heart to close any of them).  Definitely beats juggling 8 or 9, though.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do you want to close the HD CL? It's gonna dent your credit score if you close all three...

Hmmm......not necessarily.  Fused's closing credit cards is a good read. 

Message 5 of 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personal Cards -

Discover CL $4000

Amex Starwood CL $4000

Citi Diamond CL $7500

Amex Gold

Delta Gold CL $2000

Home Deot CL $2500

Business Cards -

Chase Ink CL $

You are asking a question which has nothing to do with the data you provided in your post.

You need to provide what your CR looks like, AAoA, Inq, baddies etc etc.

In a nutshell, unless you have acquired many new cards recently, based on your other cards, you should be good to apply for a chase anytime.

About closing the cards, it's your decision and as long as it doesn't cause your util to shoot up, it won't have any negative or positive impact on your credit.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to stream line my life and just have a few quality cards. 

Whats wrong with my CC list looking like this  -

Personal Cards

Discover

Chase Freedom (or other)

Amex Starwood

Business

AMEX Plum 

AMEX Platinum

Chase Ink Cash

That could mean having 10 cards compared to having 20.   At one time I had a total of 11 cards to juggle.  I'm down to 8 now and like them all. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my CR report is spotless and I can get most any card I want. I figured the fact that I had a Plum and Platinum Amex spoke for that.

I just added the Chase Ink to my Business which in under the EIN w/ me PG

Message 8 of 9
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

Good Reason to close an account. Make sure you're educated thoroughly by solid information and sit on it a few weeks before you pull the trigger. Remember you are replacing cards with good age with one with no age. A credit report with 1 credit card with 6 months perfect payments is just as spotless as 1 credit card with 16 years perfect payments; however, each spotless credit report does not have the same credit score. Due diligience.

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.