Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Secured and try for another?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close Secured and try for another?

Ok so just looked at the card and it DOES say One under the word Quick Silver- so that means I have two starter cards correct??? So that means I should apply for a regular QS??
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok so just looked at the card and it DOES say One under the word Quick Silver- so that means I have two starter cards correct??? So that means I should apply for a regular QS??

Great,

Been rplying to so many posts I forget where I am so I may repeat myself.

First I'm assuming they are both in the STEPS program??? If yes then there are a couple of other things you want to do. I beleive all the cards recently released in this category are STEPS ones. AND assuming that no lates or over limit charges have beeen incurred.

You can PC the Plat to a QS after the 2nd statement, you should get a CLI after the 3rd, and 1 at the 6th mth point even after you PC'd the card. It still remains a STEPS qualified card. Do the same with respect to the CLI's on the QS1 (3rd statement and 6th).

After they both hit 6mths old you can combine the the QS1 into the QS and you will have 1 Prime card with the combination of the 2 CL rolled into the card for a larger CL.

Some people are reporting that their older QS1 cards could NOT to be PC'd for many years but others are saying that of late they are finding them to be available all of a sudden. There seems to be some changing over at Cap1 so if yours would not convert before give it a try and maybe keep it up. UncleB reported that he has a 9yr old QS1 that wouldn't convert for the world and just the other day, low and behold they did it.

Message 12 of 23
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great,

First I'm assuming they are both in the STEPS program??? If yes then there are a couple of other things you want to do. I beleive all the cards recently released in this category are STEPS ones. AND assuming that no lates or over limit charges have beeen incurred.

You can PC the Plat to a QS after the 2nd statement, you should get a CLI after the 3rd, and 1 at the 6th mth point even after you PC'd the card. It still remains a STEPS qualified card. Do the same with respect to the CLI's on the QS1 (3rd statement and 6th).

After they both hit 6mths old you can combine the the QS1 into the QS and you will have 1 Prime card with the combination of the 2 CL rolled into the card for a larger CL.

Some people are reporting that their older QS1 cards could NOT to be PC'd for many years but others are saying that of late they are finding them to be available all of a sudden. There seems to be some changing over at Cap1 so if yours would not convert before give it a try and maybe keep it up. UncleB reported that he has a 9yr old QS1 that wouldn't convert for the world and just the other day, low and behold they did it.

In this case his Platinum is the secured card, so unfortunately, it can't be combined with another card.  It also doesn't come with the credit steps program.  They do usually give a one time increase though.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great,

In this case his Platinum is the secured card, so unfortunately, it can't be combined with another card.  It also doesn't come with the credit steps program.  They do usually give a one time increase though.

Thanks CH-7,

yeah if it's the secured it's a no where card. BUT since the other one is a QS1 and it's several mnths old you should try to PC it. You can go on live chat or call CS and ask if any offers are available for you. They will tell you wnat options you have. You might app the Plat on the pre-qual site and once you havve it dump the secured. They look to be phasing out the secured ones anyway. You can't PC it and you can't add funds or request a CLI so they are kind of bleh.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great,

Thanks CH-7,

yeah if it's the secured it's a no where card. BUT since the other one is a QS1 and it's several mnths old you should try to PC it. You can go on live chat or call CS and ask if any offers are available for you. They will tell you wnat options you have. You might app the Plat on the pre-qual site and once you havve it dump the secured. They look to be phasing out the secured ones anyway. You can't PC it and you can't add funds or request a CLI so they are kind of bleh.

Why does everyone think I'm a guy, Blegh. LOL 

So basically - This is what I should do - just so I'm not fudging anything up. 

- See if I can PC the QS1 Card. 
- See if I pre-qual any other Cap 1 Cards

- After I have another card or two under my belt, close out the Platinum Secured card?  (It originally had a $200 balance and got the one time CLI to $500..) 

Am I close? 

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are working to provide the best products to our customers and may have options available in the future. Unfortunately, your credit card cannot be converted to any other card at this time. However, at Capital One you can have multiple accounts so you’re welcome to apply for a new card product.

Welp - No converting my QS1 Apparenlty Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great,

Thanks CH-7,

Why does everyone think I'm a guy, Blegh. LOL 

So basically - This is what I should do - just so I'm not fudging anything up. 

- See if I can PC the QS1 Card. Yes, through live chat or call. You may get better results with a live call to a person. You would ask if there are any offers for you. You may need to explain what you are trying to accomplish.
- See if I pre-qual any other Cap 1 Cards Yes, you can handle this on the same call as above.

- After I have another card or two under my belt, close out the Platinum Secured card?  (It originally had a $200 balance and got the one time CLI to $500..) Yes, if you will get the CLI. Most are not getting any with the secured cards these days but either way once you have a couple more accts get out of the secured one. The TL will report as a positive TL for 10yrs after you close it so you will have it for AAoA for a long time to come.

Am I close? 

Sorry!!! It's not meant to be sexest or paternalistic or misogynistic!

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense was taken Smiley Happy Just being a brat.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
We are working to provide the best products to our customers and may have options available in the future. Unfortunately, your credit card cannot be converted to any other card at this time. However, at Capital One you can have multiple accounts so you’re welcome to apply for a new card product.

Welp - No converting my QS1 Apparenlty Smiley Sad

How did you get that message?

Message 19 of 23
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Store cards helped me rebuild. Synhrony Bank store cards. Easier to get (for me). Let them help you. Can close later. Try some pre qualifier sites. Post the results and others can give there experiences.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.