Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Zync before applying?

tag
chris2k5
New Contributor

Close Zync before applying?

I have both a Gold PRG (opened in July) and a Zync (opened in March). I was wondering...Should I close the Zync account?

I might be looking into a Amex Revolver or a Chase Sapphire sometime at the top of the year. I don't want to have too many accounts opened with Amex.

I can always product change the Gold PRG back to a Zync or Green correct?

CapitalOne Platinum - $1500
Chase Freedom - $5000 Chase Southwest Premier - $3000
Discover More - $3700
Barclays US Airways - $1500
American Express Platinum, Gold PRG, and Zync - NPSL
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Close Zync before applying?

I don't think having the ZYNC open would hurt your chances of applying for another AMEX card. If the card doesn't meet your needs then you could certainly close it, and yes you can always downgrade the Gold card to green or ZYNC.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

I closed my Zync after I got the PRG, I just personally didn't want to have 2 charge cards when I know I'm only going to use 1. Some people keep them for different reasons. Yes you can PC your PRG to any other charge, usually.

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 3 of 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@chris2k5 wrote:

I have both a Gold PRG (opened in July) and a Zync (opened in March). I was wondering...Should I close the Zync account?

I might be looking into a Amex Revolver or a Chase Sapphire sometime at the top of the year. I don't want to have too many accounts opened with Amex.

I can always product change the Gold PRG back to a Zync or Green correct?

If the $24 AF isn't a problem, keep it open 2 isn't too many accounts, just use it and pay in full with the GOLD PRG it may be difficult to find a benefit to using its rewards. Multiple accounts PIF surely will be seen as a possitive to there internal scoring system. Next year when the PRG's AF hits you can cancel it or PC to green or plain gold. 

Idealy the best plan would of been to wait and apply for the PRG in january, where its open date would appeared as  1/2012  3 months older with 13 months of age. I plan on APP for the PRG in January to get the maximum age boost, my first AMEX was openned in  12/2011,  so I would get  24 months old card dated  1/2011. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.