Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing New Store Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing New Store Card

Approximately one month ago I opened a store credit card (GE Capitol Retail) to purchase a refrigerator with 12 months 0% interest.  
For a variety of reasons, I returned the refrigerator within a few days and recieved a full credit to the card.

The card arrived a few weeks ago, and I also just received my first statement showing the purchase, credit, and final ZERO balance with a $2,500.

My preference would be to close this store card but am hoping not to damage my credit score.

My credit score is okay, 705 as of a 4 months ago during my mortgage refinance.

Should I leave it open (never use it), or can I close it without fanfare?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Closing New Store Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Approximately one month ago I opened a store credit card (GE Capitol Retail) to purchase a refrigerator with 12 months 0% interest.  
For a variety of reasons, I returned the refrigerator within a few days and recieved a full credit to the card.

The card arrived a few weeks ago, and I also just received my first statement showing the purchase, credit, and final ZERO balance with a $2,500.

My preference would be to close this store card but am hoping not to damage my credit score.

My credit score is okay, 705 as of a 4 months ago during my mortgage refinance.

Should I leave it open (never use it), or can I close it without fanfare?

You have already taken the hit for it and it has no AF and I assume your CL is $2500?

I would keep it open and let it age. Which card was it?

Message 2 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Leave it open, damage is done, GE is friendly with CLI's use the card, pay on time, and it will grow in a few months the card could double helping your average CL's and UTL. Then you wont have to open another card when the next major appliance goes out. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies, no balance on the card but it has CL of $2,500. Does that change anything?

It's a Brandsmart card from CE Capitol Retail.

Message 4 of 7
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My apologies, no balance on the card but it has CL of $2,500. Does that change anything?

It's a Brandsmart card from CE Capitol Retail.

Nope, it probably could lower your overall util and possibly get you some points.

Take the card and put it away in a secure place and let it age.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is exactly what I will do.  Out of sight out of mind... and please don't jinx me...  all other appliances are working just fine!

I am paying my final payment on my car and will hopefully pay off a few other cards in the next few months so maybe that will offset any damage.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
CS800
Super Contributor

Demsa, welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.