Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coastal Federal Credit Union

tag
GoTarHeels
Valued Member

Re: Coastal Federal Credit Union

Appreciate that info @AllZero and @Anonymous. I was thinking they were hard pulls. More food for thought. I have a lot more to consider than I thought.

Message 11 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GoTarHeels wrote:

I wish I had an in with NFCU. I was looking at PenFed and DCU for a while, but I don't want the HPs just for membership.

I am an SECU member as well, so I will take a look at them too.

DCU is a SP for membership and PenFed has mostly been SP online lately. 

+1 to DCU. 6.17% APY up to $1,000 on savings account with free EQ5 monthly score.

Message 12 of 16
GoTarHeels
Valued Member

That 6.17% is why I was really interested in DCU. That is insane. 

Message 13 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

As a caveat, I have been a Coastal member since 1987, so that may play into the results I get with them. That said, last June, two months into my rebuild, with some secured cards and an unsecured Amazon Store Card as my only accounts in many years, I applied at Coastal for an auto loan. They offered me a 3.74% rate, which I thought was great for my situation. When I got the approval, I also asked if I could get a credit card. They approved me for the card you see in my signature, a Visa Signature. I thought, why not, and asked if I could also get a small personal loan for credit-building purposes. They agreed to that at 7.75%. And as a kicker, when I got my first car payment bill, they had dropped the interest rate to 3.54% for no apparent reason. So, in my perception, I would not call them conservative. But again, maybe I get bonus points for the 1987 thing.

PenFed has denied me twice for cards, so in my mind, they are much more conservative. I am not a DCU member and have no knowledge about them. If you can find a path to NFCU membership, I would definitely look hard at that. There are more ways in than may be immediately obvious. If one of your spouse's grandparents was in the National Guard at some point, for example, that would qualify your spouse, which would then qualify you.

If I could only be a member of one bank or CU, it would be a tough decision between Coastal and Navy Federal. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 14 of 16
GoTarHeels
Valued Member

@KJinNC , I remember seeing your post about the car loan when I was looking for CFCU info. My fiance has been a member forever and he has nothing but good things to say about them. Can't beat their rates and the way they treat their members.

Message 15 of 16
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

As a caveat, I have been a Coastal member since 1987, so that may play into the results I get with them. That said, last June, two months into my rebuild, with some secured cards and an unsecured Amazon Store Card as my only accounts in many years, I applied at Coastal for an auto loan. They offered me a 3.74% rate, which I thought was great for my situation. When I got the approval, I also asked if I could get a credit card. They approved me for the card you see in my signature, a Visa Signature. I thought, why not, and asked if I could also get a small personal loan for credit-building purposes. They agreed to that at 7.75%. And as a kicker, when I got my first car payment bill, they had dropped the interest rate to 3.54% for no apparent reason. So, in my perception, I would not call them conservative. But again, maybe I get bonus points for the 1987 thing.

PenFed has denied me twice for cards, so in my mind, they are much more conservative. I am not a DCU member and have no knowledge about them. If you can find a path to NFCU membership, I would definitely look hard at that. There are more ways in than may be immediately obvious. If one of your spouse's grandparents was in the National Guard at some point, for example, that would qualify your spouse, which would then qualify you.

If I could only be a member of one bank or CU, it would be a tough decision between Coastal and Navy Federal. JMO, good luck!

That is impressive.  

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.