Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Shutdown, with a twist :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Shutdown, with a twist :(

OP, I am sorry to say that since you actually used the account ( charged an item and then will be making a payment), it seems very unlikely that the lender will remove an account you charged and made payments on from a credit bureau. I can't see a credit bureau removing it under those circumstances, either, unfortunately.

What they did to you was nasty and very wrong, but I could see a better likelihood of the entry bring removed if the account had never been used.
Message 31 of 62
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I had zero Comenity accounts at the time I applied for the Williams-Sonoma Visa in store. Now I have none. I'm not sure what the reason is, but it will probably be new accounts. In the last three months, I've added 3 Amex cards, 2 Chase cards, DCU, Wells Fargo, and Discover. At one point I had $50K of exposure with them on my store cards.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going on sprees because we all do and benefit nicely but the answer on the why is pretty clear.

Comenity can be almost or nearly like Barclays when it comes to New Accounts and also INQ's of course.

It's a matter of since this happened now just steer clear and chalk it up to a lesson learned from what they regard as risk.

The bright side of all this is that your spree in the past 3 months resulted in a successful run with those apps!

Message 32 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with CM7. You benefit, Comenity loses. Smiley Happy
Message 33 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently went through CardMatch and found I was pre-approved for a CapOne Venture.  I applied and got the 7-10 day message.  If it turns out to be an approval I am cancelling my two Comenity cards which are attached to a Visa and an MC.  Can't stand these stories or the interest rates, even though I PIF every month.

Message 34 of 62
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Even if they only pulled EQ for you, they can and definitely do soft EX also. And there were myfico members who were shut down in 2016 with just 2 or 3 inquiries. None of us know what their trigger number is, but according to the Comenity employee who shared the info with us, inquiries on both EX and EQ are what Comenity is looking at in their audit.

Now it's clearer. This is probably what happened. They pulled one bureau to issue the card, then soft-pulled other bureaus because once the card was issued, they had an existing relationship, saw the other inquiries, canceled card. That's the only explanation that makes sense so far.

Message 35 of 62
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I had zero Comenity accounts at the time I applied for the Williams-Sonoma Visa in store. Now I have none. I'm not sure what the reason is, but it will probably be new accounts. In the last three months, I've added 3 Amex cards, 2 Chase cards, DCU, Wells Fargo, and Discover. At one point I had $50K of exposure with them on my store cards.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going on sprees because we all do and benefit nicely but the answer on the why is pretty clear.

Comenity can be almost or nearly like Barclays when it comes to New Accounts and also INQ's of course.

It's a matter of since this happened now just steer clear and chalk it up to a lesson learned from what they regard as risk.

The bright side of all this is that your spree in the past 3 months resulted in a successful run with those apps!

I definitely had a good run with my spree, and I'm glad with all the SP CLI accounts I've been able to obtain, as well as my largest ever SL with AARP.

Out of all of these new accounts, the only one reporting is Discover. I'm still waiting for everything else to report. 

Message 36 of 62
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Even if they only pulled EQ for you, they can and definitely do soft EX also. And there were myfico members who were shut down in 2016 with just 2 or 3 inquiries. None of us know what their trigger number is, but according to the Comenity employee who shared the info with us, inquiries on both EX and EQ are what Comenity is looking at in their audit.

Now it's clearer. This is probably what happened. They pulled one bureau to issue the card, then soft-pulled other bureaus because once the card was issued, they had an existing relationship, saw the other inquiries, canceled card. That's the only explanation that makes sense so far.

For majors they always HP one CRA either EQ or EXP then SP the other one they didn't HP.  I gurantee the OP will see a SP from that card or alliance data when they are able to see their SP's on Experian.  

Message 37 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG OP!!! I'm sorry this happened to you. It's posts like these that make me regret ever getting in bed with Comenity. I've read so many posts with horror stories of dealing with Comenity. (I have the VS and Williams Sonoma store cards).

Message 38 of 62
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What is mind boggling is they are taking away possible clients. You'd think because they ARE Comenity, the Drake Remorey brother of Syncrony Smiley Wink, that they'd want everybody to have their card. Well, at least we know what to look for when interested in a new credit card, ...who backs it. If you're comfortable with having the joy for 11 days, lol and smh odSmiley Wink, than by all means enjoy the flavorable flavor that is Comenity. I have 3, ppc i like, but my other 2 go adios when Navy hooks me up Smiley Happy
Message 39 of 62
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Aaaaand look what just arrived in the mail today:

Photo on 3-28-17 at 6.22 PM.png

Went online to activate it, and was a little hopeful. The available credit wasn't showing $0.00:

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 6.27.55 PM.png

I tried to use it to refill my Amazon.com gift card balance (.50 cents on each card every 6 months keeps the accounts active, FYI), and payment method was declied. Called and confirmed with customer service: account is closed, letter is coming. 

I'm definitely taking it a little personal, since I had a good relationship with Comenity until my first major card with them. Now they can join Barclay's in my pile of unwanted lenders. 

Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.