Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Amazon 5% cards

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

@imaximous wrote:

...the only other way to use your points is by covering posted purchases. It doesn't even allow a simple statement credit with your points. Amex makes you go through your purchases and apply your points individually. You HAVE to have enough points to cover an entire purchase. There's no partial redemptions, which is another big annoyance. Let's say you have $100 worth of points and there's a posted purchase for $101. Oh tough luck. You can't use your points because you need enough to cover the whole amount.  

If you make several purchases, then you have to play the math puzzle game and start adding your purchases in different ways to get them as close as possible to your total points. This is time consuming and you always leave points on the table till next time.

This is typical Amex making your life more difficult with their credits. 

Wow... that's really annoying.  And yes, typical Amex being difficult.

At least they are available when statement posts as opposed to having to wait another month like their cash back cards... right?

Message 11 of 34
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99  I really like my Affinity FCU Cash Rewards card which is a 5% Amazon card. On top of that, it's a 5% quarterly rotator as well:

5% at all bookstores, including Amazon (but not limited to books)

2% restaurants, gas, groceries

$200 SUB ($3k/90)

No FTF

The additional 5% rotating categories are ON TOP of the existing %'s. So Q4 gets 10% back on Amazon. 

Current quarter is groceries, gas, and home entertainment, so total Q2 is 7% on gas and groceries.

Message 12 of 34
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

...the only other way to use your points is by covering posted purchases. It doesn't even allow a simple statement credit with your points. Amex makes you go through your purchases and apply your points individually. You HAVE to have enough points to cover an entire purchase. There's no partial redemptions, which is another big annoyance. Let's say you have $100 worth of points and there's a posted purchase for $101. Oh tough luck. You can't use your points because you need enough to cover the whole amount.  

If you make several purchases, then you have to play the math puzzle game and start adding your purchases in different ways to get them as close as possible to your total points. This is time consuming and you always leave points on the table till next time.

This is typical Amex making your life more difficult with their credits. 

Wow... that's really annoying.  And yes, typical Amex being difficult.

At least they are available when statement posts as opposed to having to wait another month like their cash back cards... right?

Mmm not quite. You do have to make at least your minimum payment for the points to post -- like MRs. I don't have any other Amex cashback cards, but I know what you're talking about.

So, when my statement is generated, I make a small payment right away to get my points. That takes another day or two approx. Once the points show up, I start the puzzle game using as many as possible. Then, I pay off the balance before due date. Rinse and repeat every month.

Message 13 of 34
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@MrDisco99  I really like my Affinity FCU Cash Rewards card which is a 5% Amazon card. On top of that, it's a 5% quarterly rotator as well:

$200 SUB ($3k/90)

No FTF

The additional 5% rotating categories are ON TOP of the existing %'s. So Q4 gets 10% back on Amazon. 

Current quarter is groceries, gas, and home entertainment, so total Q2 is 7% on gas and groceries.

That sounds amazing...

Any considerations for qualifying at Affinity FCU?  How does cash back work?

Message 14 of 34
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

$200 SUB ($3k/90)

No FTF

That sounds amazing...

Affinity is based in the New Jersey area but has a donation option for those out of geo. From the eligibility page on their website:

"There are 4 paths to membership. You are eligible to apply if you meet at least ONE of the following:

1. You live, work, worship or go to school in select New Jersey or Connecticut communities
    • New Jersey- parts of Edison, Franklin Township (Somerset County), New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Piscataway
    • Connecticut - all of Norwalk, Darien, New Canaan, Weston, Westport, Wilton
  2. You're employed by (or affiliated with) one of our partner organizations. (Eligibility list available)
  3. Another member of your family or household is an existing Affinity member.
  4. You make a $5 donation to support financial literacy and become a member of the New Jersey Coalition for Financial Education (NJCFE) or Connecticut Jump$tart. (Your donation will be processed as part of your membership application)"

For cash back you can do a cashier's check, Visa gift card, statement credit, or my preference, savings or checking deposit.

Message 15 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

$200 SUB ($3k/90)

No FTF

That sounds amazing...

Affinity is based in the New Jersey area but has a donation option for those out of geo. From the eligibility page on their website:

"There are 4 paths to membership. You are eligible to apply if you meet at least ONE of the following:

1. You live, work, worship or go to school in select New Jersey or Connecticut communities
    • New Jersey- parts of Edison, Franklin Township (Somerset County), New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Piscataway
  2. You're employed by (or affiliated with) one of our partner organizations. (Eligibility list available)
  4. You make a $5 donation to support financial literacy and become a member of the New Jersey Coalition for Financial Education (NJCFE) or Connecticut Jump$tart. (Your donation will be processed as part of your membership application)"

For cash back you can do a cashier's check, Visa gift card, statement credit, or my preference, savings or checking deposit.

Looks like the 5% is limited to $3500 a month in purchases, but that is pretty generous 

Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

$200 SUB ($3k/90)

No FTF

That sounds amazing...

Looks like the 5% is limited to $3500 a month in purchases, but that is pretty generous 

It's extremely generous considering the selection of gift cards Amazon sells. 

Message 17 of 34
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I spoke with them. Didn't hear anything about the geofence only that you needed to open a checking account with them (as you do with most every credit union).

It does sound pretty great for a cash back rotator. That 5% cash back on Amazon doesn't go away if you feel you don't need Prime at some point. I'm not sure going after the SUB on this one as its only $200 for 3,000 spend.

A I found a link to the categories for 2020 below:

https://www.affinityfcu.com/special-offers/hi-5.aspx

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 18 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Oh boy, I sense another CU being flooded in the near future Smiley Very Happy

There are many options for 5% Amazon but I guess it's another decent one. The 2/1% categories don't mean much but the 5% and the SUB are decent.

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Oh boy, I sense another CU being flooded in the near future Smiley Very Happy

There are many options for 5% Amazon but I guess it's another decent one. The 2/1% categories don't mean much but the 5% and the SUB are decent.

I don't think this one will put up with the flood. There have already been a number of people denied membership for being out of area, even with the donation. @Anonymous actually had to get into it with them. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Affinity-FCU-application/m-p/6019822/highlight/true#M679677

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-bookstores-including-amazon/

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.