cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comprehensive list of cards that close due to inactivity?

tag
Khalifa_Jayy
Regular Contributor

Comprehensive list of cards that close due to inactivity?

Greetings, all. I just wanted to see if there was a list out there with data points giving a good idea of which cards / card issuers close due to lack of activity, and what timeframe people have seen in general. Does something like that exist? Maybe we can create a working file as a forum to have for reference.

I only ask because I have a JCPenney card which I don't really plan on using much, if at all, but it has a $5k limit, so I don't want it to close randomly on me. I also have a Kay Jewelers line of credit which I don't ever really plan on using, but it's one of my older trade lines and I would hate for it to close.

Anyone have any ideas? What has your experience been like? Are certain issuers - e.g. Synchrony, GE Capital - more likely to close your card due to inactivity? Share any and all details here!

TOTAL CREDIT LIMIT:
FICO:
CREDIT AGE:

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comprehensive list of cards that close due to inactivity?

im curious myself

Message 2 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Over time the data has been all over the map so I don't think there will be much correlation: some have gone years without using, others not so much.

If you care about the tradeline enough to worry about it, put a silly charge on it every six months or what not honestly; if you don't intend to use it (as is the case with far too many tradelines I see people open up on this forum, and I'm guilty of opening tradelines and then missing the use case too) then if they close it they close it or be proactive and consider closing it yourself... it's just not that hard to get tradelines you will use.

        
Message 3 of 18
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

CITI closed my Diamond Preferred last week after 2 years and 1 week of inactivity. No warning but was expected at some point. Sent me a secured message after the fact.

Not a big deal.

Earlier this year Comenity sent me a letter warning me if I didn't use my Total Rewards Visa at least one time in the next 90 days they will close it with no further warning. This was after about 18 months of inactivity. I bought a pack of cigs to make them happy.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 4 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Data points are all over the place. If it's a card you're concerned about keeping just use it once every 3 to 6 months and you should be fine.
Message 5 of 18
Khalifa_Jayy
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Over time the data has been all over the map so I don't think there will be much correlation: some have gone years without using, others not so much.

If you care about the tradeline enough to worry about it, put a silly charge on it every six months or what not honestly; if you don't intend to use it (as is the case with far too many tradelines I see people open up on this forum, and I'm guilty of opening tradelines and then missing the use case too) then if they close it they close it or be proactive and consider closing it yourself... it's just not that hard to get tradelines you will use.

The thing is, for example on my Kay Jewelers line, that some of these accounts are really helping my AAoA. And I don't really see what I could buy from Kay other than maybe some diamond earings or something for Christmas, lol. I don't really "shop" there, nor do I intend to... yet it's an older trade line with a nice CL that I would hate to have close or have to close.

TOTAL CREDIT LIMIT:
FICO:
CREDIT AGE:

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Khalifa_Jayy wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

The thing is, for example on my Kay Jewelers line, that some of these accounts are really helping my AAoA. And I don't really see what I could buy from Kay other than maybe some diamond earings or something for Christmas, lol. I don't really "shop" there, nor do I intend to... yet it's an older trade line with a nice CL that I would hate to have close or have to close.

If keeping a line like Kay open for you is important than buy a charm that costs less than $10 once every 6 months and you'll be fine.  As for your AAoA, it would still factor in for 10 years even if it did close.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know BOFA will send you a letter, but that's the only data point I can provide lol. If it's a card you want open, use it once a year and you should be fine!
Message 8 of 18
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

I have a JC Penney that i have not used in over 2 yrs and its still open I think. Cards closed for inactivity -Bloomingdales(2yrs), Citizen bank (3 yrs)  and pier one-one I dont  think i used it since it was opened but wish i have use of that card now

Message 9 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Khalifa_Jayy wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

If keeping a line like Kay open for you is important than buy a charm that costs less than $10 once every 6 months and you'll be fine.  As for your AAoA, it would still factor in for 10 years even if it did close.

+1

Most jewelry stores sell jewelry cleaner... if you don't need it yourself give it to a friend/family member.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.