Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consider the bar raised! AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consider the bar raised! AMEX

Do these cards ever make sense for someone that doesn't travel? 

Message 11 of 16
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was pondering the same with these offers Amex was throwing around last month or so until I saw the Gold "RESY" offer, which is basically everything the OP is posting here, plus 20X on dining/delivery for a max of $250 for the first 12-months.

I knew after that if approved, I was getting this card. At worst, I know I'll get that $250 fee back with the food bonus. Any $ earned after that is cake.

2nd year, well, that'll depend on the retention offer at the time Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 12 of 16
Rpgough0311
Valued Member

I would highly consider the offer shown on Resy.com where you get 75k points, the 10x on supermarkets and gas stations, AND 20% back at restaurants (12 months up to $300). I just took that offer and the 300 back in statement credit offset the AF was hard to ignor!

Message 13 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The beauty of this hobby is that nothing has to make sense to anyone other than the person steering the ship.  While there are those who value MR points as it relates to travel, some may find use in other ways.  To each his (or her) own is the best way to view this hobby. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with that.  I've never personally did any number-crunching on Amex charge cards or any cards for that matter that seem to be geared toward/maximized by travel rewards since I don't travel.  Perhaps my thought process on that isn't great though, so if anyone has worked out the numbers on such a card where it makes sense rewards wise without the travel aspect I'd really like to hear about it.  Amex charge cards have always interested me since it's a bit different than a revolver, I'm just not sure one would make sense in my wallet.  I also don't know about the other perks/benefits of such cards outside of just the rewards programs.

Message 15 of 16
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Rpgough0311 wrote:

I would highly consider the offer shown on Resy.com where you get 75k points, the 10x on supermarkets and gas stations, AND 20% back at restaurants (12 months up to $300). I just took that offer and the 300 back in statement credit offset the AF was hard to ignor!

Wait - that offer is different than mine and I just checked and I still see mine being offered.

Its now 75K points (mine was 60K) 10X supermarkets (mine was 4X) and 20% back on dining up to $300 (mine was $250).

Do you have a link to that offer - curious why I am not seeing it..

Potential Future Cards
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.