Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion from Chase Freedom to CSR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conversion from Chase Freedom to CSR?

Is it possible to convert a $10K Freedom to a CSP, and then from the CSP to a CSR within a week? Or would I need to hold onto the CSP for a year before I can convert to CSR? Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Conversion from Chase Freedom to CSR?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it possible to convert a $10K Freedom to a CSP, and then from the CSP to a CSR within a week? Or would I need to hold onto the CSP for a year before I can convert to CSR? Thanks!

I think theoretically you could do it as long as the Freedom is a year old. The CARD act prevents annual fee increases within the first year of card membership even at your request, but after that, I don't think there are any stipulations. So you could go from CSP to CSR, as long as Chase's policy doesn't prevent it.

Message 2 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It really depends on Chase's internal policy on how they interpret the CARD Act.  If the account has been opened for more than a year, then it technically doesn't apply.  But if they consider the PC to be a "new account" (retaining account number and history of course) then they might require you to wait.  I know the downgrade from CSR to CSP isn't an issue in year 1, as abuse of that has been well-documented.

I would try HUCA method to see if you can just PC straight to CSR instead. 

Message 3 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do you want to do this as a two-step process?  Why not go from Freedom to CSR?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. 

i just thought I needed to convert from a CSP to a csr but I'll try a PC tonight. Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also wondering why you were asking about two product changes within a weekSmiley Happy

I went from freedom to CSR but had to HUCA a day later since I wasn't eligible on one day (computer glitch possibly) and then suddently became eligible for the PC the day after. 

Message 6 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

A lot of the PCs are YMMV.  I assumed you already tried which is why I mentioned HUCA.  People have the same issue sometimes stepping down, and might be told they need to convert their card to a CSP or CS prior to converting it to CFU or CF.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was able to PC from freedom to a CSR after 1 HUCA. thanks everyone for the guidance!!!

Message 8 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

i was able to PC from freedom to a CSR after 1 HUCA. thanks everyone for the guidance!!!

Awesome!   That'll be $50.  You can use your new $300 grocery credit to buy me a Delta gift card.  😛

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any reason you don't want to apply for it as a new card? The sign up bonus is pretty nice.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.