Did you mean: 

Costco AMEX Update 8/24/2015

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco AMEX Update 8/24/2015

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had TE (backdated to 1987) and BCP (from after backdating). DH got a Plat and I'm considering switching over to MR from cashback. I chatted and asked about PC to EDP from BCP and was told no. Does a card need to be 13 months to PC or just to donate CL to another card. I figure either the CSR was just flat wrong or the 13 month thing is why they said no. I'm deciding whether DH should apply for an EDP on the same HP as the Plat today or we should PC my BCP or wait and do it at the end of the TE time. 

It has to be 13 months I believe to PC, but you can't PC from a MR card to a Cash back or vice-versa card I believe.  Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have heard/read.

Welp, no point in applying for a BCE in hopes of a CL transfer since I barely got my TE last month, and dies April 2016. 

Message 31 of 41
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I didn't get through all the posts for this topic, so I don't know if what I am going to say has already been said.

When Citi took over the Best Buy portfolio, did they make everyone do a new app or a HP for the transfer of accounts?

I think the only question here is really whether Amex gets to keep the accounts or if they get transferred to Citi.  If Amex gets the accounts, then I would think they would offer a new account to replace it.  With the offers, it appears that they might not be retaining the account and want to offer cardholders the opportunity to get an Amex.  It might be written into the contract that they are not allowed to simply convert accounts.  They may not have to actually do a HP to offer you an account, but they might simply be doing it because of the aspect of everytime you want a new account they do a HP for that account.  If they are losing the accounts to Citi, then they might not want to be caught up in any conflict between the agreement with Costco and simply transferring an account to another program. 

When Citi takes over the accounts, you would think that the accounts would simply be transferred to them and that's it.  I believe that is what happened with Best Buy.  I don't have a Best Buy card, but I don't recall anyone saying they had to get a HP to keep the card.  I think that Citi would simply decide later what further action would be based on how the cardholder performs after the conversion. 

Think about the Macy's upgrade.  While Amex may not have revealed what will happen with the Costco cards, for whatever reason, there may not be any real issues.  What Macy's said they would do they did.  The Amex situation is a little different, since the program is changing banks, so they may have revealed earlier than Macy's did that changes were happening.  Amex may or may not know what is happening with Citi and how they will treat the cards.  They also want to retain cardholders, especially if the accounts are going to transferred to Citi.  This could be a reason behind the email solicitation, to simply retain cardholders.  It also doesn't mean that later they don't have a second strategy, after all, if they can get you to apply, why not?  If Citi is taking all the accounts, then they might not be able to offer a new account without a HP, depending on the agreement with Costco. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 32 of 41
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Had a chat last night with Amex cust svc - reduced my APR -2% (yeah) and also asked about the future of the card, just for kicks. The rep had a series of canned responses... the general gist was "our product management team is working on what the next steps for our cardmembers will be and will be announcing it closer to the March date. Rest assured we value your business and do not want to lose any of it."  I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Message 33 of 41
santagirl4

Thank you

Message 34 of 41
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@MJ-san wrote:

Had a chat last night with Amex cust svc - reduced my APR -2% (yeah) and also asked about the future of the card, just for kicks. The rep had a series of canned responses... the general gist was "our product management team is working on what the next steps for our cardmembers will be and will be announcing it closer to the March date. Rest assured we value your business and do not want to lose any of it."  I'm taking a wait and see approach.

That's also my plan.    AMEX has not yet agreed to sell the portfolio to Citi.   Until that happens, we really don't know what to expect from TE.   

I plan on requesting a 3X CLI on TE when I'm next eligible (should be at the end of October).   If AMEX agrees to sell the Costco portfolio, I will reallocate most of the CL to my BCE and leave the TE open until I collect my Costco rewards.   If AMEX retains the portfolio, I'll do nothing and see what product AMEX offers (hopefully a new cashback card).  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 35 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@MJ-san wrote:

That's also my plan.    AMEX has not yet agreed to sell the portfolio to Citi.   Until that happens, we really don't know what to expect from TE.   

I plan on requesting a 3X CLI on TE when I'm next eligible (should be at the end of October).   If AMEX agrees to sell the Costco portfolio, I will reallocate most of the CL to my BCE and leave the TE open until I collect my Costco rewards.   If AMEX retains the portfolio, I'll do nothing and see what product AMEX offers (hopefully a new cashback card).  

I did not know that. Thanks. Interesting. 

Message 36 of 41
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, that's the interesting thing... they haven't made a decision yet. Interesting read ... http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/07/25/the-next-scene-in-the-costco-american-express-dram....

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Any new updates on this?  Just got my approval this morning to find out about this just now... lol...great!!!

Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

Any new updates on this?  Just got my approval this morning to find out about this just now... lol...great!!!

Smiley Happy

LOL....nice!

And no new updates. All same.

Message 39 of 41
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

I was told that I can get another card from them with the same limit and basically the same benefits no need to apply

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.