Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Visa CITI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco Visa CITI

If my auntie adds me under her card, I already have 3 CITI advantage, is this fine or it will be bad?

Will it also help increase my score?
I just don’t want to open a Costco citi for myself since I have 3 Citibank cc already

2. Will it also help build credit on my own reporting I’m an authorized user for this specific card?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Costco Visa CITI

We'd need to know a lot more about your profile before we could hazard a guess about scoring impact. Generally speaking, the most important scoring factor would be the age of the account being added. Keep in mind that it's possible that there'd be no impact at all. Or it might affect some scores but not others. And of course, lenders can regard AUs any way they'd like.

In your case, though, it sounds like you want to use the card. That's the "real" reason for being an AU. If it's convenient for both you and the primary user, go for it.

Note that if scores are a concern, AU cards should report at or near zero.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I want to build credit and I like the Costco card’s warranty offers.. I wouldn’t want to ask my aunt to buy something if I can worn my own card so being an AU For thst car is something I want to do.

What do you mean other want to be an AU and not want to use it for the real deal?
Message 3 of 15
Malcono
Regular Contributor

We need a lot more info.

Your current scores, your credit limits, your util%, age of accounts.

And then it also depends on your aunt's credit age/line/util%.

There are a lot of variables here, and we can't make a guess without you giving us more info.

Total Credit: $107,000Utilization: 1%AAoA: 2yrs, 4mthsAoOA: 3yrs, 1mthAoYA: 1yrs, 10mthsBaddies: 0

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

She has 745 I have 720 score. Her costoc card is 2 months old with one AU, her daughter. I live with her and want to this caed for my purchases.

I have US BANK, Discover it, and 3 Citibank card (advantsbr and platinum)

Message 5 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks. I want to build credit and I like the Costco card’s warranty offers.. I wouldn’t want to ask my aunt to buy something if I can worn my own card so being an AU For thst car is something I want to do.

What do you mean other want to be an AU and not want to use it for the real deal?

Sometimes people add AUs simply to give that person's credit history a boost. In cases like that, the AU doesn't always use the card. And in some cases, the AU isn't even given the card. Smiley Happy

I think that with your profile, the addition of the AU isn't likely to cause your score to move much either way. From a scoring standpoint, the critical thing is that you and your aunt can make the card report zero if either of you ever need it to do so. Otherwise, simply keep the reported balance relatively low when it's reasonably convenient to do so.

Message 6 of 15
imaximous
Valued Contributor

In order to get a Costco Visa, I believe you also need to be a member of Costco. Do you have your own Costco membership?
Costco allows 1 additional household member for each account, so I assume her daughter is already the additional household member? If that's the case, you won't be able to get the card unless you have a separate Costco membership. If you already do, forget what I just said.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So CITI will report my account to EXPERIAN let’s say? And that it will be like my own account?

Message 8 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So CITI will report my account to EXPERIAN let’s say? And that it will be like my own account?

Maybe. It may be treated as your own account, or it may be ignored. And different versions of FICO may treat it differently. The fact that you both have the same address increases the chances that it will be treated like your own account.

Message 9 of 15
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No. It'll say "Authorized User" for any accounts that you're not the primary account holder.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.