Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Costco card

I'm just curious for people who had a costco amex did you get your new citi costco card yet? I was reading that there is a huge outcry against citi since the cards should have been out by May but now the switch over has occured and people don't have their costco card. It seems like a PR disaster and I'm suprised that Citi didn't put steps into place to avoid this given the amount they spent to get the costco deal. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: Costco card

Looks like a lot of people have not got the card while a lot others (like me) got their cards in May only.

@red259 wrote:

I'm just curious for people who had a costco amex did you get your new citi costco card yet? I was reading that there is a huge outcry against citi since the cards should have been out by May but now the switch over has occured and people don't have their costco card. It seems like a PR disaster and I'm suprised that Citi didn't put steps into place to avoid this given the amount they spent to get the costco deal. 

Message 2 of 18
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

When there's a big switchover like this, there is usually a period where it's crazy.....trying to work the kinks out, etc.

Yes a lot of people didn't get their cards, but a lot did.....plus you have all teh new cards being issued....it's just a mess right now. Give them a month and it will be fine. Everyone is blaming Citi, but you never know.....we don't work there....maybe Amex didn't get all the info on every cardholder to Citi on time, There are too many variables, that could of or should of happened. People can be mad all they want, it just adds fuel to the fire! Any visa card or debit card can be used, so it's not the end of the world.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

We got ours in a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what the big deal is, chances are if you had the Amex credit card you probably have another one you could use (Amex isn't accepted everywhere) unless you only have a MasterCard. It's not like Costco is regular supermarket where it's the only place you shop at. Like I said, I understand people being annoyed but it's really not the end of the world.
Message 4 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We got ours in a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what the big deal is, chances are if you had the Amex credit card you probably have another one you could use (Amex isn't accepted everywhere) unless you only have a MasterCard. It's not like Costco is regular supermarket where it's the only place you shop at. Like I said, I understand people being annoyed but it's really not the end of the world.

Personally it doesn't impact me, but there are articles in several major media outlets where people can't get citi on the phone or are waiting on hold for over an hour. Some people who have had a costco account for decades never got their cards, some people got their card but its not working and neither amex or citi is able to locate their file.I can totally understand people being ticked off. They didn't ask for this change. They didn't apply for a new credit card. Also keep in mind, some people likely use Costco much more often than you do. I think some people may use it for gas and such, so costco is a larger and more regular expense and given the majority of the public are not like the people here it is quite possible they don't have any other visa cards. Or if they do have another visa card they keep it as a backup. Obviously it will be sorted out within a few weeks, but these types of things leave a really bad taste in people's mouths and can skew a perception of a company for much longer.      

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not saying this isn't a big deal, I'm simply stating that Costco isn't your average grocery store. It's not like you can only get milk, eggs, and bread at Costco. I was just as ticked off as everyone was about the switch because I really only got that card because of Costco (waste of a new account). Im just simply stating its not the end of the world. Besides you can always use a debit card (we shouldn't always be relying on credit).
Message 6 of 18
python0704
New Contributor

I had doubt about the whole process when they decide to make the switch overnight. I didn't expect this many people still waiting for their cards, I never expect the switch to complete altogether before Monday morning. One the one hand they should have send out cards earlies, one ther other hand they could have chose the similar path when walmart switched from discover to mastercard to make the whole thing less painful. Of course it's too late now, Citi and Costco will take the blame. And only time can ease this. 

Message 7 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I've seen the articles and I really think people just need to relax. Yes, it's annoying, but it's not like it's the end of the world. It will all get sorted out in time. This was a huge transition.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I've seen the articles and I really think people just need to relax. Yes, it's annoying, but it's not like it's the end of the world. It will all get sorted out in time. This was a huge transition.

Agree.  It's not like the Costco Visa card is the only card that they accept.  As for missing out on the bonus categories; they didn't exist before so it's not like they lost anything.  It will all come in time.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, if you need something from Costco that bad you can always use your debit card. IMO, if you have a membership to shop somewhere it's a luxury not a neccesity. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.