Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card weights

tag
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Credit Card weights

Just for the fun of it I weighed my cards.  

The two obvious winners are CSP and Chase Marriott both at 12 grams individually. Together, they come in at 25 grams so each are something over 12 grams.  

Discover, Amex, Freedom, and right down the line, 5 grams and the lightest...the clear Amex BCP at 4 grams.  

I'm not surprised with the Marriott card as I have had a couple of retailers mention that it is the heaviest card they have ever held.  

Back to your original programming Smiley Wink

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card weights

@Blackrv7 wrote:

I'm not surprised with the Marriott card as I have had a couple of retailers mention that it is the heaviest card they have ever held.  

I get the same comments with my Chase United MP Club card.  I've actually held a Palladium card and it's even heavier.    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 28
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

maybe it's really made of palladium Smiley Tongue

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 3 of 28
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

maybe it's really made of palladium Smiley Tongue

A tiny amount, yes.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 28
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

The Barclay "Black Card" (Carbon Fiber) version weighs in a 4.68 grams.

The AmEx "Centurion" (Titanium) wieghs exactly 14.00 grams.

I have heard that the Ritz-Carlton card is very heavy, but I don't have one of those - I look forward to hearing from someone who does.

Message 5 of 28
dilettante
Established Contributor

I have both Ritz and Palladium as well as CSP and Marriott. Ritz and Palladium are equally heavy. I believe they are both 27 grams in weight. They are too heavy in IMO and doesn't fit well in wallet slots.

Message 6 of 28
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

I have both Ritz and Palladium as well as CSP and Marriott. Ritz and Palladium are equally heavy. I believe they are both 27 grams in weight. They are too heavy in IMO and doesn't fit well in wallet slots.

Did you actually weigh the cards, or are you just saying that you believe they are both 27 grams in weight?

Message 7 of 28
dilettante
Established Contributor

I read it online. Someone had measured the weight of both cards. Another person even did a chemical analysis of the Pallasium.  Anyhow, when you hold those cards, you can tell they are substantially heavier than CSP.

Message 8 of 28
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

The Barclay "Black Card" (Carbon Fiber) version weighs in a 4.68 grams.

The AmEx "Centurion" (Titanium) wieghs exactly 14.00 grams.

I have heard that the Ritz-Carlton card is very heavy, but I don't have one of those - I look forward to hearing from someone who does.

Ritz card is very heavy...feels like CSP & Marriott put together.  I get mucho compliments everywhere....love it!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 28
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

Geez!!  I just tried to swipe my CSP and Marriott card together through the card reader at my office......at 25 grams combined they are too thick to run through the reader.  Don't show up at my office with a Ritz or Palladium....I get charged more if I have to manually input the data rather that swipe Smiley Wink 27 grams, that's a hunk of metal!!

I know I've got several comments about the black Marriott card, we'll see with the CSP but I'm thinking it's because the Marriott is black/metal.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.