Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards Usage Recommendation

tag
FA21
New Contributor

Credit Cards Usage Recommendation

Looking for a good rotation on the current line up!   I only used the Navy visa Signature Rewards for cash back until somebody told me that I can get more for my money using my other cards.  Other than cash, I'm interested in using my rewards mainly for travel, as a matter of fact, that is what I used my cash for.  Any combination you can advise on the following cards is highly appreciated it

The line up I have:

Navy Visa SIgnature Rewards

Navy Visa More Rewards Amex

Penfed Power Cash Rewards

Penfed Pathfindew Signature

Capital One Quicksilver

Chase Amazon Prime

Discover Chrome

Delta Skymiles Amex

Thank you in advance for the suggestions, i'm sure that somebody in this forum have a group of card like these ones.  Also, any suggestion to a new card is appreciated.  

For reference, I put between 2000 and 4000 avery month in the Navy.

Thank you all!

NFCU Platinum $1700.00; Capital One Platinum $300.00; Discover (secure) $200.00; Bank One $300.00 (April 2017)

NFCU Platinum $1700.00; Capital One Quicksilver $1800.00; Discover $2000.00; (March 2019)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Cards Usage Recommendation

I use the CardPointers app to maximize which card provides the best rewards

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@FA21 wrote:

Looking for a good rotation on the current line up!   I only used the Navy visa Signature Rewards for cash back until somebody told me that I can get more for my money using my other cards.  Other than cash, I'm interested in using my rewards mainly for travel, as a matter of fact, that is what I used my cash for.  Any combination you can advise on the following cards is highly appreciated it

The line up I have:

Capital One Quicksilver

Chase Amazon Prime

Discover Chrome

Delta Skymiles Amex

Thank you in advance for the suggestions, i'm sure that somebody in this forum have a group of card like these ones.  Also, any suggestion to a new card is appreciated.  

Thank you all!

You should update your siggy as it may confuse some posters when giving replies to your post. 

I'm no travel guru but I can work Navy math.....maybe the Flagship?Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FA21 wrote:

The line up I have:

Capital One Quicksilver

Chase Amazon Prime

Discover Chrome

Delta Skymiles Amex

Thank you all!

IMHO you already have a great lineup of rewards cards, and don't need any more.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 9
FA21
New Contributor

How safe is Carpointers?  I dont know much about it.  But I dont like the fact that I have to enter all my passwords into an app.

NFCU Platinum $1700.00; Capital One Platinum $300.00; Discover (secure) $200.00; Bank One $300.00 (April 2017)

NFCU Platinum $1700.00; Capital One Quicksilver $1800.00; Discover $2000.00; (March 2019)
Message 5 of 9
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Small thing that jumps out at me... Get that Discover Chrome product changed to a Discover It. You have other cards that give you 2% or better in gas and dining (the NFCU More Rewards at least, maybe the PenFed Power Cash depending on how you've handled that membership), so turn the Chrome into the rotator for some random 5%s quarterly (even if you don't use it consistently, it will be offering a purpose as opposed to right now).

That's exactly what I did for P2 when he got the PenFed 2% flat rate Power Cash card. (

And yes, his started off as a Discover secured as well, so you absolutely can.)

SD - Biz -
Message 6 of 9
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@FA21 wrote:

The line up I have:

Capital One Quicksilver

Chase Amazon Prime

Discover Chrome

Delta Skymiles Amex

NFCU Visa Signature Rewards - ? They have several cards (at least 3) that are Visa with Rewards in the name. Need more specifics for the card you have been using for everything

NFCU More Rewards - great 3% across the 3 main everyday categories (gas&transit/restaurants/groceries)

PenFed Power Cash - flat rate card, either 1.5% or 2% depending on your banking and/or military status with them

PenFed Pathfinder - flexible travel card, $95 fee

Cap1 QS - 1.5% flat rate card

Amazon Visa - 5% Amazon, 5% whole foods, 2% restaurants, gas, and drugstores

Discover Chrome - 2% gas and restaurants

Delta Skymiles Amex - which color?

Without more detail, I'd say use the NFCU More Rewards for gas/groceries/dining (unelss you shop at Whole foods or Amazon Fresh, then use the Amazon Visa for groceries at those stores), Delta AmEx to buy Delta airline tickets, the PenFed Pathfinder for anything else travel related, and the PenFed Power Cash (assuming it's the 2% version) for anything else (if it's not the 2% version, then it depends on which Visa sig you have from NFCU since one of them is 1.75% on everything). Cap1 is your "backup" 1.5% card, and Discover It, once product changed, you can slip into the lineup for it's 5% categories as applicable.

SD - Biz -
Message 7 of 9
FA21
New Contributor

NFCU card is the Cash Rewards.  The Delta is the blue card.

Thank you for your input!

Message 8 of 9
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@FA21 wrote:

NFCU card is the Cash Rewards.  The Delta is the blue card.

Thank you for your input!

Ok, so the cashRewards is 1.75% if you have direct deposit set up, 1.5% if you don't. What about your PenFed? Were/are you military yourself, or do you qualify for the 2% with a minimum in the account?

AmEx Delta Blue is pretty basic, so just stick with it for airline tickets and in-flight purchases etc. 

EDIT: I'm of the opinion that everyone should have at least one Elan Max Cash Preferred card for 5% home utilities + 2nd category. So I'd add that to your lineup.

SD - Biz -
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.