cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that Blacklist

Frequent Contributor

Credit Cards that Blacklist

Good Day,

I am curious to know is it true that credit card companies blacklist and if so, what are the names. If you are on the blacklist how can you get off. Its been awhile since I been on here and Im catching up on all the credit stuff.

Starting Score: EX: 650 EQ: 630 TU: 620 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2015 / Last App: 05/04/2015 / In the Garden Until: 01/04/2017
Desired Scores EQ 700 EX 700 TU 700
1k 2k 4k $2,200
60 REPLIES
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Cards that Blacklist

Amex - if youve burned them, the only way back in is to pay back what you owed. People have said they've been able to get back in after 10 years or more.

Barclay - will not take you if you've filed bankruptcy and included them.

***AD SPACE AVAILABLE***
Message 2 of 61
Frequent Contributor

Do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card

Good Day,

How does blacklisting work do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card.

Thanks

Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2015 / Last App: 05/04/2015 / In the Garden Until: 01/04/2017
1k 2k 4k $2,200
Message 3 of 61
Frequent Contributor

Okay I burn them, they are sending me letters to settle with them. Im going to create a topic to ask this question. This site was very helpful when it help me get my scores up.

1k 2k 4k $2,200
Message 4 of 61
Senior Contributor

Chase and Citi and US Bank will all put you on the naughty-not-nice list for 10+/- years. As far as major primary lenders, Cap-1 and Discover are probably the most forgiving letting you back in. 

I'm not talking about secondary cobranded lenders like Comenity or Sync and certainly not the sub-prime fee magnet cards like Credit One or First Premier.  

Message 5 of 61

@pipeguy wrote:

Chase and Citi and US Bank will all put you on the naughty-not-nice list for 10+/- years. As far as major primary lenders, Cap-1 and Discover are probably the most forgiving letting you back in. 

I'm not talking about secondary cobranded lenders like Comenity or Sync and certainly not the sub-prime fee magnet cards like Credit One or First Premier.  

Comenity/CCB is also known to blacklist, primarily for any bankcard products.  NFCU, BoA, ELAN (USB subsidiary), Commerce, USAA (depending on certain circumstances) and a plethora of CU's.

Message 6 of 61
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Is this blacklist sentence just for lenders IIB or for charge-offs too? If yes on charge-offs does the 10-year clock start running from the date of charge-off or from the date you paid them back? I have one Chase and one Citi card I want and I'm curious how long I should wait for those apps... (Obviously, not anytime soon with my scores but I'm playing the long game here and want to plan out my apps.)

Current Cards:

Goal Cards:

EX 8: Jan 2018 - 546 | EQ 8: Jan 2018 - 571 | TU 8: Jan 2018 - 566
EX 8: Jan 2019 - 557 | EQ 8: Jan 2019 - 573 | TU 8: Jan 2019 - 589
TCL: $1,500 | AAoA: 8.3 yrs | Util: 64% (high due to charge-offs - I'm working on 'em!)
Cleaning up and rebuilding after a long hiatus from credit
Message 7 of 61

Re: Do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card

@JMills wrote:

Good Day,

How does blacklisting work do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card.

Thanks

Depends on the lender.  Some, even if you satisfied the debt years down the road, will still keep you on their blacklist.  Others may offer an opportunity for "forgiveness" or a second chance.

Which CC lenders did you have unpaid or unresolved debts with?

Message 8 of 61
Senior Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@pipeguy

Is this blacklist sentence just for lenders IIB or for charge-offs too? If yes on charge-offs does the 10-year clock start running from the date of charge-off or from the date you paid them back? I have one Chase and one Citi card I want and I'm curious how long I should wait for those apps... (Obviously, not anytime soon with my scores but I'm playing the long game here and want to plan out my apps.)

It includes charge-offs, not just bankruptcy. As far as starting the clock I can't say for sure which is why I used +/- 10 years they'll blacklist you until they don't and that's around 10 years.

After my credit crashed and burned in 2005-07 neither Chase or Citi would touch me and I don't believe I defaulted on either lender, perhaps Chase with a business card. I now have 3 Chase cards but they are my lowest limit cards ($10k, $6k, $5k). I'm sure I never burned Citi, but even today they won't issue me a Citi-branded card although they will issue me just about all of their Citi-backed cards like HD ($25k) Costco ($15k), etc.  

Message 9 of 61
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

It includes charge-offs, not just bankruptcy. As far as starting the clock I can't say for sure which is why I used +/- 10 years they'll blacklist you until they don't and that's around 10 years.

After my credit crashed and burned in 2005-07 neither Chase or Citi would touch me and I don't believe I defaulted on either lender, perhaps Chase with a business card. I now have 3 Chase cards but they are my lowest limit cards ($10k, $6k, $5k). I'm sure I never burned Citi, but even today they won't issue me a Citi-branded card although they will issue me just about all of their Citi-backed cards like HD ($25k) Costco ($15k), etc.  

This is great news. That is precisely the card I eventually want. The other one is the Chase Amazon Visa. I figure the co-branded cards will be easier to acquire and they will definitely be ones that I would use.

Current Cards:

Goal Cards:

EX 8: Jan 2018 - 546 | EQ 8: Jan 2018 - 571 | TU 8: Jan 2018 - 566
EX 8: Jan 2019 - 557 | EQ 8: Jan 2019 - 573 | TU 8: Jan 2019 - 589
TCL: $1,500 | AAoA: 8.3 yrs | Util: 64% (high due to charge-offs - I'm working on 'em!)
Cleaning up and rebuilding after a long hiatus from credit
Message 10 of 61