tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Cards that pull Experian???

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

The best thing to do is put a freeze on your EQ and TU and start apping away.  Those who try to pull anything but EX won't have success. 

I have a question about this strategy for cards that pull multiple reports, e.g., capital one.  Since capital one pulls from all three, would they pull EX but then deny your application because they weren't able to pull EQ and TU thus resulting in a wasted inquiry on EX?  If so, you need to be aware of any companies that would pull EX as well as any of the other reports because you'd burn an inquiry by applying for those CCs.  Hopefully someone can clarify.

If they attempt to pull all 3 reports you have a choice to give them pemission.  You'd have to give them your PIN number or temporarily unfreeze the report(s) at no cost.  But if they need to pull all three reports, I'd think twice about banking with them.  Capital is the only bank that I've heard pull all 3 reports. 

Thanks for clarification.  As a followup, if you deny permission for the other two, is the inquiry on EX stuck? 

I don't think its mandatory to deny someone for not being able to pull all three reports.  I may be wrong, but if Cap 1 is able to get atleast one report that may do it. They can soft pull the other reports regardless if a freeze is on the other reports. 

Message 11 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

The best thing to do is put a freeze on your EQ and TU and start apping away.  Those who try to pull anything but EX won't have success. 

I have a question about this strategy for cards that pull multiple reports, e.g., capital one.  Since capital one pulls from all three, would they pull EX but then deny your application because they weren't able to pull EQ and TU thus resulting in a wasted inquiry on EX?  If so, you need to be aware of any companies that would pull EX as well as any of the other reports because you'd burn an inquiry by applying for those CCs.  Hopefully someone can clarify.

If they attempt to pull all 3 reports you have a choice to give them pemission.  You'd have to give them your PIN number or temporarily unfreeze the report(s) at no cost.  But if they need to pull all three reports, I'd think twice about banking with them.  Capital is the only bank that I've heard pull all 3 reports. 

Thanks for clarification.  As a followup, if you deny permission for the other two, is the inquiry on EX stuck? 

They Inquiry will stick if they pulled EX. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

I haven't seen where you can unfreeze Experian for free.  Got a link?

Message 13 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

You can temporarily unfreeze reports for free with your PIN.   Maybe thing have changed and not with all 3 CRAs  But there is a charge to lift the freeze completely. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

You can temporarily unfreeze reports for free with your PIN.   Maybe thing have changed and not with all 3 CRAs  But there is a charge to lift the freeze completely. 

Experian charges $10 to temporarily lift a freeze.

You can lift a TU or EQ freeze for free if you subscribe to their credit monitoring service.  If not, it's also $10.

Maybe you live in a specific state which mandates no fee.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

Just a friendly reminder--

You can attempt to 'herd' prospective lenders towards the credit report of your choosing by freezing credit reports, but it can certainly backfire. The accounts of lenders refusing to open accounts when there are frozen reports, or the even less desirable scenario, where accounts get opened, and then quickly closed because the lender, with permissible purpose, softed those frozen reports tend to be quickly forgotten. You could end up with an INQ, a new account ding, and no open line of credit.

Sadly, lots of people have experienced closures due to adverse information found on frozen reports that were softed after opening. So, just take care to be careful if you're doing this, and you have baddies that the prospective lender might otherwise decline you for. Your current lenders, and even CAs can still get to your reports, with permissible purpose when they're frozen.

And, the CRAs get to make a buck off of you anyway... Smiley Mad

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@DI wrote:

Amex pulled all three when I tried to do a recon... But I know Barclays pulls Exp for East Coasters.

Message 17 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

I only froze my reports in 2009 before an app spree so that all the inquiries can hit my EQ. I wasn't hiding any baddies.   I had 0 inquiries with EQ in 2009 after all my inquiries got deleted.   Come September, I'll hove 0 inquiries with EX and TU and 3 inquiries with EQ.  I still have my TU and EX reports frozen.  Had I kept the freeze on my EQ reports the situation with State Farm would not have occured.  I like the freeze option. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

I only froze my reports in 2009 before an app spree so that all the inquiries can hit my EQ. I wasn't hiding any baddies.   I had 0 inquiries with EQ in 2009 after all my inquiries got deleted.   Come September, I'll hove 0 inquiries with EX and TU and 3 inquiries with EQ.  I still have my TU and EX reports frozen.  Had I kept the freeze on my EQ reports the situation with State Farm would not have occured.  I like the freeze option. 

This is a common misconeption about credit freezes. You current creditors, and even CAs with permissible purpose can still pull hard INQs, even on "frozen" reports.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.