Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Question

tag
keithbward
Frequent Contributor

Credit Limit Question

Have a question for the credit card gurus out there. Do the limits I have on other cards play a factor on the opening limit other creditors may give you from your experience? Is it also a "bargaining" chip for recons on limits and credit limit increase requests?

Starting Scores - EX 547 || EQ 541 || TU 538 - 01/21/2014
Current Scores - EX 691 || EQ 628??? || TU 695 - 08/04/2015
Goal Scores - 720 across the board
Current Utilization - 12% and going down
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Limit Question

yes

Message 2 of 15
MT936
Established Contributor

Yes it does as some lenders are more willing to give you a higher limit if they see you have managed high limits in the past. As for using them as a bargaining chip, it is usually unsuccessful and I would not recommend doing so 

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 15
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes if you get a low opening limit, you can recon and ask for a limit more in-line with your other cards. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't matter to them.

QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 4 of 15
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Sometimes, sometimes not.  It all depends on what bank it is, what cards you have with that bank, how many inquiries, etc. etc. etc.  But for most people I'm sure higher limits on other cards would help when applying.

Message 5 of 15
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

I'm constantly seeing people say thay to get the CSP, you have to already have a limit above 5k. This may be a factor for some, but wasn't in my case when I was approved for CSP at 11k, my highest limit at the time of apping was 3k.
Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 6 of 15
MT936
Established Contributor

Yea the 5k limit on an existing account in order to be approved for the CSP is false. I used the chase pre approval tool and was pre approved for both the CSP and Marriott visa signature when my highest reported limit at the time was 4000 on my Amex. I  applied and got approved for the Marriott for a 7500 Limit

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 7 of 15
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@keithbward wrote:

Have a question for the credit card gurus out there. Do the limits I have on other cards play a factor on the opening limit other creditors may give you from your experience? Is it also a "bargaining" chip for recons on limits and credit limit increase requests?

I would say yes. But it plays differently with different credit card companies. Some may give you a credit below your minimum credit limit. Other may give you higher than your highest limit and some may grant you in between. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 8 of 15
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@xsvspd wrote:
I'm constantly seeing people say thay to get the CSP, you have to already have a limit above 5k. This may be a factor for some, but wasn't in my case when I was approved for CSP at 11k, my highest limit at the time of apping was 3k.

The 5k number that gets thrown around is that that is the minimum CL one would get with CSP.  So....if Chase deems someone isn't worthy of a $5k credit line then they will deny them the CSP, but that doesn't mean they had to have a $5k CL on other cards in order to get approved for a $5k credit line.  BUT, someone who may have been approved for a Freedom card with a $3k CL would have been denied for a CSP, not approved for a CSP with a $3k CL.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Message 9 of 15
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@xsvspd wrote:

The 5k number that gets thrown around is that that is the minimum CL one would get with CSP.  So....if Chase deems someone isn't worthy of a $5k credit line then they will deny them the CSP, but that doesn't mean they had to have a $5k CL on other cards in order to get approved for a $5k credit line.  BUT, someone who may have been approved for a Freedom card with a $3k CL would have been denied for a CSP, not approved for a CSP with a $3k CL.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Minor point, but I get the impression from reading these pages (especially those regarding CSP), is that the "minimum 5K" income number DOES get mentioned quite a bit as an approval criteria for the CSP card, not just as the minimum starting CL.  Fortunately such postings are being challenged by more and more readers, who correctly state (as does nachoslibres) that others with lesser incomes HAVE been approved for tthis card!

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.