cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Bank - Annual Fees Waived and More!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Bank - Annual Fees Waived and More!!

After reading posts and taking some advice I decided to close my credit card. I don’t need the card and have much better cards in my profile, I was keeping it to have a lower overall utilization. I also thought closing a credit card would hurt my credit and I didn’t want to lose points now but rather later when my scores are higher.

Anyways, on to the process. I called to close and had to go through the run around circle on the automated system until it finally sent me to a representative. I advised I wanted to close and told them the annual/monthly fee was too high and I don’t like I can’t pay more than 4 times a month or in a period.

Offer
The rep offered no annual fee through the rest of the year and a credit of the total balance I had now ($14.60, $8.25 is fee). I told her that wasn’t enticing and I still wanted to close. She then offered 200 limit increase no pull, no fee, and available instantly along with previous offer. I thought for a moment and accepted. She proceeded to advise me on January when the fee resets I will have another offer to have it waived if I stay current.

It’s not what I wanted to do, but I did get an increase which will help me overall with utilization. I plan to have all my cc’s paid by December. This card will be canceled before fees start again. I didn’t know cc’s waive fees or offer bonuses when you tried to cancel. I wish I had done this earlier as I’ve had the card two years already. If you have this card I would recommend calling in to negotiate the fees.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit One Bank - Annual Fees Waived and More!!

Based on your posts you are zero for 2 in attempts to close subprime cards - I understand the retention offers because they expect to "bait and switch" you until you pay AF's again and run balances at high APR's. As you mentioned in this post "you have much better cards and you don't need them" my advice is to listen to your posted statement and dump the subprime cards when they are no longer of use.  

Message 2 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes call back and cancel you don't need them. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Same applies from your other thread. Same responces are going to come in. Close em both. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/First-Premier-CC-Tried-to-close-FAIL/td-p/5351948

Message 4 of 10
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

+4,5,6,7,8 and more to Close them.  They served a purpose and that need has been filled.  Time to appreciate what you've achieved and close those down.  Call back, break up with them, forget the memories Smiley Happy.

Message 5 of 10
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

CreditOne, or the likes, is expendable to anyone building or rebuilding their profile once it's no longer needed.  Close and move on.  You'll be thankful in the months and years ahead. Example, if you ever have a face-to-face review of your credit history it's easy to explain off subprime lender usage as a jumpstart your rebuilding process and to which you quickly closed once not needed.  Good luck.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything they offer for retention you already get from other cards with better rewards, the card is still an useless sock drawer no rewards card that you have to track and worry about at end of year. It's like trying to get out of an abusive relationship, would you go back to it if promise was made for no more abuse for the next 3 months. The card has been preying on you for years while you were down, call back and cancel it and never look back, you will feel better without it in your wallet. Same goes for First Premier.
Message 7 of 10
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Credit One serves a purpose, at a fairly high price.  I drive by their new, fancy building on the 215 here in LV!  Their retention offer of waiving the monthly fee is typical - only to come back when the offer expires.  You'll find that they have a credit limit ceiling: I think around $5k.  All replies will tell you that you can do better.  I'd start fielding other cc offers, and cancel the fees and the headache.  Cut your ties when you can!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once I’m in 700’s I will cut them off. I expect that within the next month or so.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I kept reading waiting for the compelling reason to keep the card.  The compelling reason never came.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.