Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Bank Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One Bank Credit Card

I had 4 account in collection status that I paid off last month. I have one capital one secured card for $200. I had a repo'd car about 3 years ago now, but it doesn't show up on my credit report at all. And I have 2 late payments on a student loan about 2 years ago. I have 7 inquiry's over the past 2 years. I also have student loans in defferment. ( I'm still in school)

Message 11 of 21
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

How long ago was the inital late on the 4 collection accounts?  That is the 7 year mark.  I would guess by the repo from 3 years ago, that it would be that same time period.  Having the 1 installment loan, 1-2 more cards and allowing your INQ's to dorp to around 3 (for these new accounts) should hit a 10-40 point gain.  The next "big" gain is when these deg's drop from your credit...sorry.  I was in a simliar issue with my credit, and the 3 credit card max worked on getting me into the low/mid 600's.  GL.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The accounts hit my credit between 2008 and 2010. Nothing negative since then. The repo is nowhere on my credit report so could that be hurting me? The initial loan before the repossession isn't even showing on my report...not sure why.  I think I'm pretty much just playing a waiting game at this point in time. But any and all pointers are greatly appreciated and welcome.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also sent off GW letters in the past 2 weeks. I hope I see a bit of luck from those. I'm hopeful for 3 out of the 4 accounts. Because I paid 3 in full. I settled on the last one.

Message 14 of 21
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

along with credit one bank card besides monthly fees is there is no grace period. so you get charged interest the second a penny gets charged to the account!

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One sucks.... I had a card with them for 3 years and never used it. I only paid fees..

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

hopeful23,

I have filed bankruptcy a few years ago. The first thing the bankruptcy laywer mentioned to me is "never get more than 1 credit card, to help build credit" because if you have any type of loans out that are in you and are current with those and never late.Than you should be fine, it may take some time but at least you will be on the safe side of things and not having to give all of your earning to credit cards and other important payments. I had made that mistake in the past, never late on my payments and than all of a sudden, my job let me go. I paid what I could to the credit card companies but than fell behind on my other things. Which led me to file for bankruptcy, having a BK on your report is not fun. I can not even get a simple loan from a bank because I am a liability to them. My advice to you is, keep the one credit card and make your other payments on time. Credit counseling companies work with credit card companies, so expect to hear them say "You need 3 to 4 cards out to get a good credit rating" That is just a load of crap. They make money making you believe what they tell you. Do not get a card with Credit One Bank, I have one and I am not happy with them, they take their time processing your payment and late fees aqcuire in that time.

Message 17 of 21
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Sorry bm33 but, if what I am trying to decipher from your message is correct, your lawyer didn't give you the best advice.  One credit card isn't going to do you much good in the future.  I think you should stick around and read how people have begun to rebuild their credit after a bk.  I'm in the same boat as you with a bk reporting.  I cleaned up my credit report so that I could apply with bk friendly creditors becasue they do exist.  I have quite a few of them in my aresenal and I, along with many others, are successfully continuing to rebuild.  

As for CreditOne....yuck!!!  Yep stay away from those vultures.  Their fees are high and they are not good on CLI's.  They started me off with a $400 limit in June and then they increased it $100 a month later...Wow right?  Since then I have obtained major cards with CL's anywhere from 4 to 15 times the limit with CreditOne.  There goes the lawyers theory that only one credit card is needed.  My scores are now all above 700 with a bk reporting that is 6.5 years old.  In retropspect I would have done better with a secured card with a $1000 limit that reported to all CRA's than messing around with CreditOne, but I assure you that before the year is up with them I will be closing that account.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 18 of 21
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I think 3 cards to rebuild credit is what you need OP hopeful. The reason I say this is because my score sort of plateaued with 1 card. The reason given was that I had a low credit limit which shows lenders are not trusting you with higher limits, which causes a ding to your score. I had 1 Orchard Bank unsecured card for 3 years and in July I was approved for the Cap1 Green cash rewards card with a 2000 CL. My Orchard card (now Cap1) has a 1100 CL. However, I am still getting dinged as a factor of my lower score is I don't have a revolver with more than 2000 CL. But Cap1 said they would increase it to 2500 CL on the 7th statement. I applied for a Chase Freedom and got conditional approval last week. But once I have a card with more than 2000 CL, I will break through my plateau.

How long have you had your secured Cap1 card? What are your scores? Depending on the answers to those questions, you might be able to get an unsecured Cap1 card but I would wait until some of your 7 INQs fall off.

The key is to have the credit limits, not the utilization. I believe they recommend 1 card after BK to keep you out of trouble LOL! But your score moves up slower when that is done. I filed a 7 in 2003 and a 13 in 2005. Only the 7 is left on my report and will fall off August 2013. I got my first post BK card in 2009 and only used it for 3 years before applying for another. I should have gotten another card sooner than this as I would be farther along in my recovery than I am today but I didn't because I was paranoid of denial and didn't think I needed it but once I began monitoring my reports and seeing that the low credit limit was hurting my score, I knew I needed another card or two in the future. I am in the process of getting my third card. Once that happens I will garden for a year and try for my dream credit limit in Sept 2013.

So I say you need two or three CCs to get the boost in CS that you are looking for but you might get denied applying now with all of those INQs.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 19 of 21
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

They're ok with me...still have them but they will get the axe since I've moved on

No issues. Charge n pay...

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.