Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card account closed for only spending in 5% categories

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit card account closed for only spending in 5% categories

I don't think the various Amazon cards really factor into the conversation: would bet money those rewards are financed by Amazon itself out of it's marketing and customer retention funds.

I am not a good example because I use Chase for so many other things but I never had a problem with my Freedom only used for 5% and it was opened 7 years ago.

It's pretty rare though yeah LTL that would make a difference haha, but I am not sure you can throw that one in the same category as a Discover or CF being used as category spenders with hard caps.

Though, that all said, all of our Sallies got whacked at once so it wouldn't surprise me if it can happen to individuals.

        
Message 31 of 58
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  I'll buy tinfoil and bagels. Will let you know. 

Message 32 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I don't think the various Amazon cards really factor into the conversation: would bet money those rewards are financed by Amazon itself out of it's marketing and customer retention funds.

I am not a good example because I use Chase for so many other things but I never had a problem with my Freedom only used for 5% and it was opened 7 years ago.

It's pretty rare though yeah LTL that would make a difference haha, but I am not sure you can throw that one in the same category as a Discover or CF being used as category spenders with hard caps.

Though, that all said, all of our Sallies got whacked at once so it wouldn't surprise me if it can happen to individuals.

Sallie Mae and OBC were good examples on what NOT to do with category cards that I think credit card companies took notes from. Either cap it like BCP/CIC/etc the list goes on and on to what a bank is good with, or while not 5% with Socks Bank's Altitude Reserve and its 4.5% make it a card that has tough UW on a premium card with purchase "restrictions" i.e. gift cards

Message 33 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I just can't make the mental leap needed to intentionally shoot yourself in the foot with spend on category cards. And to even disguise it like that would be like an individual buying gift cards for MS purposes and buying a candy bar or soda to obfuscate it 🤦‍♂️

Message 34 of 58
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

While nearly all of my spend on my cards are category spend, I do make it a point to toss a bone once in a while.

Because neurosis.

Message 35 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thinking about it, I DID get a card shut down for only spending in the 5% categories, my Amex Blue Cash (OBC).   The reason given was something like spending inconsistent with normal household usage.    But I suspect it was more the amount of charge $30-40K a month (2014 dollars!) indicating MS so a few 1% dollars wouldn't have helped!

Wow, that's a lil bit scary. Since i only use my BCP for the 6% Grocery and Streaming, and very very minor use in other categories. 

And sometimes a few by mistake, because i forgt to swap card before leaving the house. Smiley Embarassed

But hey, their AF should make up for that! Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

There is a chance you'll never see my post because a giant meteor slams into Earth. Soon you'll find out the odds of that happening. 

Thank you for your support.

lATgx2Q

Message 37 of 58
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

There is a chance you'll never see my post because a giant meteor slams into Earth. Soon you'll find out the odds of that happening. 

Thank you for your support.

lATgx2Q

😂😂😂

My feelings exactly,  @Anonymous 

Thank you for the laugh 

Message 38 of 58
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thinking about it, I DID get a card shut down for only spending in the 5% categories, my Amex Blue Cash (OBC).   The reason given was something like spending inconsistent with normal household usage.    But I suspect it was more the amount of charge $30-40K a month (2014 dollars!) indicating MS so a few 1% dollars wouldn't have helped!

Wow, that's a lil bit scary. Since i only use my BCP for the 6% Grocery and Streaming, and very very minor use in other categories. 

And sometimes a few by mistake, because i forgt to swap card before leaving the house. Smiley Embarassed

But hey, their AF should make up for that! Smiley Very Happy

Grocery isn't an issue as it is capped.  But I hadn't thought about streaming.   Mmmm, need a service that streams Visa gift cards.....

Message 39 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time I'll give a little on rewards is when the amount of the purchase vs. the statement closing date (and how long I could float it without interest) comes into play.

I have a $1200 purchase to make later this month and I'll be giving up 1% to put it on a card whose statement cycles the day before and will give me nearly two months grace on the interest.

Truth be told, I could PIF when it was time if putting it on any card, but my headspace is just better pushing those bigger bills out as far as possible.

Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.