Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crediting error on AMEX BCE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crediting error on AMEX BCE

Now this has got to be a first.

I logged in to my AMEX BCE today, and the first thing I noticed was my balance was lower than yesterday. Scrolled down, and There was a credit of $150 from my local Trader Joe’s on 4/5/19. Seriously, $150 as a ‘statement credit.’ Now, I like TJ’s, but since this card is brand new, only cut one statement, I haven’t even spent $150 at TJ’s on it yet. And, I didn’t shop at TJ’s on that day. My last transaction with them was 4/1, for $14.63.

Too late in the day for me to call AMEX and find out what’s going on. My guess is Trader Joe’s will figure it out on Monday, and someone in the Finance Dept is going to smack their forehead.

Anyone else have something like this happen? How long did it take for CC issuer and store to figure out?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Crediting error on AMEX BCE

Was the $150 the signup bonus you expected? Signup bonuses appear as a statement credit from a merchant. My BCE bonus came from a city that charged me $2 to use their parking meter.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, bear with me, this is still new.

You mean, my $150 sign up bonus from AMEX would show up on my statement as if it were coming from a local merchant? Address and telephone number and transaction reference number and everything? That just seems very odd. Truly.

Besides, I earned my SUB by putting my property taxes on the card, so all in all, I’d prefer to see a credit coming back from the County, LOL. Now that truly would be a first. Total I’ve spent at Trader Joe’s is about $50, maybe $300 total on this card before dropping taxes on it.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's most likely the sub. There's an easy way to check. Click on the (credit) transaction itself and then click on 'Additional Information' on the top right side. It will tell you what it's for.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, I’m on the mobile app and there’s no other information other than merchant, etc. It shows the same types of info as the rest of my normal transactions. I can check on the laptop version in the morning.

I think you guys are right, it’s my SUB. But fer gawdsakes, why must AMEX make it ultra mysterious? LOL.

Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the Trader Joe bonus.

AMEX knows that if they referenced the County with the SUB credit, the County would come after you for that $150, want you to pay up.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.