Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DONE with Cap One

tag
doredeb
New Contributor

DONE with Cap One

So frustrated with Cap One.  My lowest FICO score is 791...and Cap One has again denied a CLI request on my Quicksilver (limit is currently $850).  WTH?  Never missed a payment on ANY of my credit cards. No baddies. I’m ready to take a temporary hit to my credit score and just cancel the card.  Just ridiculous.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: DONE with Cap One

@doredeb wrote:

So frustrated with Cap One.  My lowest FICO score is 791...and Cap One has again denied a CLI request on my Quicksilver (limit is currently $850).  WTH?  Never missed a payment on ANY of my credit cards. No baddies. I’m ready to take a temporary hit to my credit score and just cancel the card.  Just ridiculous.

What were your scores when you first applied for the QS? Cap One is known to "bucket" cards that they give when someone is in the building or re-building stage of their credit profile. People used to be able to contact the EO and get somewhat out of the bucket, but that options been dead for a while. You won't lose the credit history on the QS for 10 years even if you do close it, so it might be the time to move on from it.

If you like, try the Cap One pre-qualify page and see what cards come up. If Savor and/or Venture appear, those come with a minimum $5K limit... Or try any pre-qual page. A 791 Fico 8 should get you pretty much any card you want.

Message 2 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

And how much do you spend on your card each month?

And you would probably get a $20k or $30k card if you applied for new card.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your frustration.  Mine is only $600 but is my oldest card reporting right now.  I have it SD'd since I have since gotten better cards.

Message 4 of 31
doredeb
New Contributor

I had the platinum card that wouldn’t get any higher than a $700 CL...Cap One “offered” to convert it to a Quicksilver.  What’s the point of staying with them?  My AMEX and Disco have CLs of 8K and 4K, respectively.

Pre-qual page gives me the thumbs-up for both the Savor and Venture.

Message 5 of 31
wasCB14
Super Contributor

With good scores, I'd focus on greener pastures than a 1.5% card.

I like big CLs, but only on cards where I'll spend enough to need them.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 31
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@doredeb wrote:

I had the platinum card that wouldn’t get any higher than a $700 CL...Cap One “offered” to convert it to a Quicksilver.  What’s the point of staying with them?  My AMEX and Disco have CLs of 8K and 4K, respectively.

Pre-qual page gives me the thumbs-up for both the Savor and Venture.

My scores are in the 740's and I recently did the pre-qual for Savor and got it with a $10K SL. As long as you have the income to support it, you would probably land at least the same SL I did. I'm guessing $15K-$25K with your scores.

Message 7 of 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Really no way for anyone to judge your profile based off 1 fico score. You could have 800's and have a super thin file . Yes you could possibly get higher limits on other C1 cards but hard to really say without understanding your profile without more data points. What are your 3 ficos, aaoa, how many cards do you have, spend on your cards etc. Sorry about your stuation with Cap One but could there be factors contributing to it that hasnt been offered?
Message 8 of 31
BrokenBones
New Contributor

Not a believer of being "bucketed." I got my platinum card with a SL of $300 when my score was still in the 500s. It is now at $7400. 

Message 9 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Buckets are real but they bucket the card not the client.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.